Dario Aparicio S/N, Madrid, Madrid, 28023, Spain

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 47% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Madrid

Puerto del Sol, MadridPuerto del Sol, Madrid

Our view of the Royal Palace from the CathedralOur view of the Royal Palace from the Cathedral

The entranceThe entrance

Our two delicious "galettes"Our two delicious "galettes"

New Years Holiday in Madrid- What should I expect?

by petermr

I will be in Madrid over the New Years 2011 holiday. Is there a fireworks display on New Years eve? Where is the best? I am considering renting a top floor apartment with a terrace near Plaza Mayor because I heard there are fireworks there? Is everything closed on New Years day, Jan 1, or is it like another day and most shops, cafes will be open?
Thanks

by von.otter

Practice eating grapes! It is a Spanish tradition to eat 12 grapes during the 12 chimes of the clock at midnight. Buy some during the day to have at midnight.

When we visited Madrid for New Year's 2003/2004 we took a break from playing tourist on New Year's Day. We walked about the city's parks. The weather was mild enough to be comfortable with a light wool coat.

Campo del Moro & the Sabatini Gardens (Metro: Príncipe Pío); Jardín Botánico; Plaza Murillo, 2 (Metro: Atocha); Retiro Park (Metro: Retiro); Parque del Oeste, Paseo Pintor Rosale (Metro: Moncloa)

Enjoy this lovely city; and eat a few grapes for me!

by euskaldun

The major gathering point on New Year's Eve is the Puerta del Sol, rather than Plaza Mayor. They are not really that far away, but, in my opinion, the major point is joining the colorful street party (with the above-mentioned tradition of eating grapes at midnight), rather than watching the fireworks. However, if you don't like crowds, that will not be a place for you.

by rkearns

i agree with euskaldon. sol is the best! i stayed there in 2005. but i only ate 12 grapes (?) i guess i didn't know about making a wish. yes, fireworks were going off and the plaza was packed! it's basically like new year's anywhere else, in my experience.

by euskaldun

Right, the tradition as we know it is to swallow just 12 grapes. Afterwards, you may make a wish, a toast, kiss your partner or whatever.

by petermr

Thank you all- that was very helpful. I don't want to be smashed by the crowds, so fireworks and people watching from a terrace is my preference.

by Belsaita

I never heard about 13 grapes, always 12 for me! :) Then a wish, cheering with cava and kissing everyone....

When I was living in Madrid we once went to Puerta del Sol as we felt it as something we "must do" once (after seeing all our life the 12 clock bells from the Puerta del Sol on TV). It's definitely VERY crowded and quite mad. You can't actually hear the bells due the people's noise, and just suddenly everybody started eating the grapes becasue others were doing it! It was fun but not something I would repeat. And not something I'd recommend if you don't like crowds.

The top floor terrace near Plaza Mayor sounds great if you prefer something quiet. Have a nice time!

by Belsaita

Haha, maybe a tradition from Tenerife or from your own family??
Speaking about the Canaries I heard there are two NYE celebrations, first one at the "peninsular" time and then at the "una hora menos en Canarias" time :-)) I have to try this some year! Double fun!
(sorry for going off-topic)

Travel Tips for Madrid

El Prado Museum

by Luisanna

Visiting Madrid means a couple of very important sites and El Prado Museum is on the top of my list. I really enjoyed walking through the corridors and imagining what took place when many of those paintings where being painted. Some extraordinary paintings from the best in the world. Among El Greco, Goya, Rembrandt and Velasquez, gosh the list continues. We walked with a tour on our visit and it's facinating hearing the stories behind each piece. I highly recommend a stop in one the worlds best museums.

Madrid buildings, Mingote

by Carmela71

This paint is from Mingote, is in Calle Sal, just in direction to the Plaza Mayor.

Mingote comic paints had been in the newspapers with others as Summer, Forbes Chummy Chumez and more.

This one is very castizo lol

Real Madrid

by ger4444

If you are in Madrid go watch a game of Real Madrid, a club who has won the Europe Cup several times. The club is very popular amongst the madrilenes and the football stadium is hughe and cool looking. Another club in Madrid are Atletico Madrid who plays in the Calderon stadium. Real Madrid is located at the Avenida de Concha Espina

San Lorenzo de El Escorial (1)

by andal13

Escorial is a town on the hills, where is the most awsome building of Provincia de Madrid: San Lorenzo de El Escorial. Monastery, palace, church, library, royal pantheon, its construction was ordered by King Felipe II (Philip the Second) at 1563.
The town by the monastery is quiet and nice, and there I spent the first (and only) "white Christmas" of my life.

(If you want more info, you can check my El Escorial page.)

El Escorial es un pueblo en la sierra, en donde se encuentra el más impresionante edificio de la Provincia de Madrid: San Lorenzo de El Escorial. Monasterio, palacio, iglesia, biblioteca, panteón real, su construcción fue ordenada por el Rey Felipe II en 1563. El pueblo ubicado en las cercanías del monasterio es tranquilo y bonito, y en él pasé la primera (y única) "Navidad blanca" de mi vida.

(Si quieres más información, puedes visitar mi página de El Escorial.)

T.G.I. Friday's

by ValbyDK about T.G.I. Friday's

TGI Friday’s is a restaurant and bar in the centre of Madrid - but I only hang out at the bar so can’t comment on their food.

I ended up at TGI Friday's a Friday evening – and it turned out to be a really funny evening/night.

Nice atmosphere and good selection of beers and drinks… Casual dress code.

Comments