Gran Legazpi

Booking.com Priceline.com Travelocity

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 45% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Madrid

Please don't spit up....Please don't spit up....

Carlos V fountain - station on rightCarlos V fountain - station on right

garden at Sorolla Museumgarden at Sorolla Museum

Instructions on the back of the cartInstructions on the back of the cart

by 9tigers

this was the site I used to go and used to after I picked from madrid to barcelona on March 9th, and click on search I used to get a list of schedules and I will then click on compra, it will lead to a different site

but now I see this and I could not understand what it all mean...

Re: the web site where I used to look for deals have changed to be unrecognizable HELP!!!!!!!!

by marielexoteria

What's the address you're being redirected to when you click on Compra?

But when I tried the English link I got redirected to Renfe's main website in Spanish. If that happens to you, then on the left there's the same menu you got on the English link, where it says:

Consulta de Horarios (Schedule listing, sort of)
Principales estaciones origen (Origin main stations)
Pricinpales estaciones destino (Destination main stations)
Then the date and a button saying "Busca" (Search).

Renfe has worked better before.

by marielexoteria

I did the search and got this result:

00370 ESTRELLA 22.50 07.36 8 h. 46 min.
Prices go between 34 to 43 euros (children and adults) on tickets bought online and they also show how much they cost if bought at the station.

by 9tigers

does it mean it will take 8h to get to barcelona?? oh my gosh if that is the case I will have to fly then.. should I fly rynair or spanair? ty

by marielexoteria

Yes, it takes 8h46min but that's a night train. AVE takes 3-4 hours. That was the only result I got, but I read on another thread that their site has some problems so that might be it. If you want, I could send them an e-mail and ask about their schedules (I speak Spanish).

I personally would choose Spanair, I've flown with both (not to Barcelona tho) and they're both fine.

by 9tigers

ty so much with the pricing I think I will fly as well

by 9tigers

I have decided to fly into by spanair, that is all set
the issue now is how to get from airport of BCN into city center
I read where I need to take some city trains but the web site
http://www.renfe.es/cercanias/barcelona/index.html again is not understandable for me :(

by marielexoteria

To make it easier and less stressful on you, go to this link: http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite?Language=EN_GB&MO=1&SMO=1&SiteName=BCN&c=Page&cid=1045569607511&p=1045569607347&pagename=subHome

If it doesn't work, then go to www.aena.es and either choose the language first at the top right, or choose the airport first at the top left and then change into English. Then go to Practical information (middle part of the page) and from there you can choose train, bus, taxi or car.

Hope it helps.

this worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by marielexoteria

Awesome, because I haven't been to Barcelona yet so local advice might be better (like the one you just got).

by 9tigers

it seems more expensive...then local train and the local train get me to Passeig de Gracia where I can just get off and then walk...
but I do not know if the train will be available 5AM during the week when I go back...
airobus will be twice as much cost ?

and the airobus web site http://www.emt-amb.com/links/bus.htm is not right

Travel Tips for Madrid

There's so much to see in this...

by DCsalsera

There's so much to see in this city. It all depends on your tastes...but to get a quick glimpse of the city, I recommend taking one of the tour buses on your first day. They will take you to all of the hot spots and describe a little about each, allowing you to get off at each spot if you so desire. You can get on an off the bus all day, as often as you wish. This way you'll find out what you want to see first if your time is limited (as it usually is!) My fondest memory is the family I was 'adopted' into while I was there. Merche, te echo de menos muchisimo!

A view from the top

by SirRichard

If you wanna see south Madrid from the top, you can do that from the crystal walls elevator of the Reina Sofia Museum.
If you go on a weekday or saturday morning, you will have to buy the museum ticket to enter, but is free on saturday evenings and sundays, and is a nice view from 4th floor.

Running in Madrid

by kikito_sp

I love running in urban environments, and Madrid is a great place for that. Here's a list of my favorite places for running:

- Parque de El retiro: It's the second biggest parc in Madrid (first one's La Casa de Campo). In summer trees protect you from the sun most of the time. It's never crowded, but there's always people there. And it's very nice. I don't recomend La Casa de Campo because sometimes is not safe.

- La Castellana: One of Madrid's Main Avenues. It's good if you're looking for an urban race (don't enter the Picasso square at night) and it doesn't have any ramps.

- University District: If you like ramps, go to the parc near the university district, on the western part of Madrid. The best thing about running is that you don't need special equipment. Just a pair of running shoes, and sport clothes adapted to the climate. Maximum temperatures reach 45 C in summer (run early in the morning or at night!), and the minimum is -5 in winter, at night.

Arquitectura en Metro/Architecture by Metro: L6

by Redang

There are dozens of emblematic buildings and monuments in Madrid, famous and less famous. I bring here the possibilty of seeing some of them linked to each other by metro.

* Metro: Ciudad Universitaria
Name: Ciudad Universitaria (the University itself)

* Metro: Puerta del Angel
Name: Puente de Segovia
Address: Over Manzanares river, between calle Segovia and glorieta del Puente de Segovia
Architect: Juan de Herrera
Year: 1.577-1.584

Name: Ermita de la Virgen del Puerto
Address: Paseo de la Virgen del Puerto, s/n
Architect: Pedro de Ribera
Year: 1.716-1.718

Important notices:
1. Some buildings or monuments are very close to the metro station and easy to be found whilst some others are a bit far and it's not so easy to get to them, you only have to look for the correct street or square.

2. The link shows the list of the stations of the different metro lines.

3. As I said before, there are many buildings/monuments, but I only bring here a few of them.

Flamenco Dance and Music

by cheapskate about Las Carboneras

Not the most authentic around but perhaps not as commercialised as.. can't really remember.. is it called the little china dolls? gosh!

But this was good.. small cosy restaurant.. cost about 25Euros i think Casual