Hermosilla 2, Plaza De Colon, Madrid, Madrid, 28001, Spain

More about Gran Melia Fenix

gran felix madrid

by TripAdvisor Member vrrenton

We stayed in the Gran Melia Fenix for 6 nights from April 22 2007
The room was called a superior room, it was nicely furnished rather small and the carpet was dirty, I did complain but nothing was done
None of the advertised extras were in the bathroom, I had to ask for each one of them,which did eventually arrive The trouser press never worked the electric switches were dangerously coming out of the wall
The breakfast was excellent but expenisve and not worth the cost
I would not rate this as a 5 star hotel,rather 4 star would be adequate
The staff at the desk were poorly trained and not good at giving information in English

Poor service in a Leading Hotel of the World!

by TripAdvisor Member DublinDarren

My wife and I staying the "5 Star" Melia Fenix in Madrid from December 29, 2006 to January 1, 2007.

Having seen previous reviews of the property and given the fact that it is a member of the leading hotels of the world we decided to try it for our New Years break.

The hotel itself is in a good location and the room, which had an outdoor hot tub, was edequate, although not quite five star standard in terms of size etc.

However two occurances really spoilt the experience and lead me to believe that this really isn't a five star hotel. Upon check in we asked to make a reservation for dinner on New Years Eve in the hotel. We were told that this wasn't possible as the hotel was fully booked, however I would have expected more from a five star hotel, especially given the amount of money we were spending and the fact that the room rate for New Years Eve was considerably more expensive than the other nights.

Also on check out the hotel refused to call a cab, simply replying that "it's New Years Day" and the "Taxi company won't answer their phone" after paying nearly €1,100 for three nights bed and breakfast in the hotel I find this completely unacceptable. The best advisce the reception staff could offer was to get the Metro and handed us a map.

We proceeded outside where we got a taxi in minutes.

Appaling service and wonder never stay here again.

Darren and Susan, Dublin, Ireland

New Years in Madrid

by TripAdvisor Member happywanderer1

We spent Dec 31st - Jan 3rd in Madrid. Spent quite a bit of time on Trip Advisor looking at hotel reviews. The hotel is in Central City area. We were able to walk all over the city. We had a great room (Room 132). It was considered a deluxe room. Extremely comfortable and nicely decorated. Bathroom was not large, but extremely clean! My husband loved the control panel that can be used to control all lights, temperature and fans. The room had a very pretty view, and a small balcony. We had New Years Eve dinner at the hotel. The service was excellent and the food fantastic. Enjoyed the cigar lounge in the evenings for wine and tapas. I would stay there again if in Madrid without question.

Not impressed

by TripAdvisor Member DaniellaLouise

I was really looking forward to staying at the Melia Fenix after having looked at the website and seeing it was ranked in the 'Leading Hotels of the World'.

However, after arriving I was disappointed. The Hotel, and my room in particular, was directly above a skateboarding clan which were there each night making a lot of noise. The room I stayed in was nice, although slightly on the small side for a 5* Hotel. The gym looks ok on the website, but after heading to work out, I was surprised at how small and lacking in equipment it was (Two dumbbells constituted their weights equipment) and also had no ventilation or air conditioning.

All of this was disappointing, but I was still happy to be here until I ordered room service. The prices are astronomical, for which you expect to get a well-presented and delicious meal. One morning I ordered a spanish-style cooked breakfast, which was stone cold when it came to my room. I sent it back asking for my breakfast to be served hot as described in the menu, and after two minutes they returned with a new plate - if they were cooking my breakfast fresh then it would have taken at least 10/15 minutes. The food had been thrown on the plate, completely disregarding the need for presentation, and the food had blatantly been taken from the previous plate and been re-heated.

As you can imagine I was not very happy, particularly as they charge through the roof for the food.

I also made several requests with reception which were often forgotten and warranted my calling them several times to remind them.

All-in-all, I would suggest using your money to stay in a hotel which has a quieter location and where customer service and the cuisine is given a higher priority.

The one positive to staying at this hotel is that it is in excellent proximity to some of the best shops in Madrid.

Luxurious stay in the heart of Madrid

by TripAdvisor Member Michael1975

I stayed at this Leading Hotel on December, 2006.
Although it was fully booked the atmosphere at the "Servicio Real" club level was very quiet.

For this stay I lived in a Executive Penthouse Suite which offers 100 square metres of luxury. Of course, it is expensive (1250 EUR/night) but offers a lot: spacious outdoor jacuzzi with terrace, Colon Square view, 42" Plasma TV at the living room, Bang&Olufsen TV at bedroom.
This suite offers a spacious bedroom, two corridors which separate the rooms, bathroom with separate toilet/bidet, living room, meeting room, two wardrobes, guest toilet and spacious terrace on 7th floor.
The bedroom of this suite is more spacious than a normal double room!

This hotel offered me a truely luxurious experience of a real Leading Hotel. The service was very personal, always attentive and the presentation of beverages and snacks at the lounge was outstanding every time.

Everybody who is looking for space and luxury should book this suite!

Not the Leading Hotel Experience

by TripAdvisor Member AlexMoscow

We stayed at this hotel during the New Year 2007 holidays. The hotel does not live up to the leading hotels of the world status. The staff were very indifferent always showing their I do not care attatude. The sound proof was terrible (our room was right above the Hard Rock Cafe). The room was changed eventually and we moved to the top floor BUT on the New Year Night we were woken up at 3 a.m. by a terrible noise from next door. When I called the neighbors asking them to reduce the volume of the stereo an English "lady" from next door told me that she did not care for she had come to Madrid to have fun! The hotel staff did not solve the problem as well! They just said they were sorry! I will definitely not come back!

Loved it!

by TripAdvisor Member europehopper

Stayed for 2 nights (2nd & 3rd March) and loved it. Staff were always friendly and very helpful. Hotel is beautiful as was our twin room. Buffet breakfast was included in our deal and was superb, champagne etc included. Metro round the corner & hotel Calle Serrano with all the designer shops is behind the hotel. Would definitely recommend.

Great city centre hotel

by TripAdvisor Member myhotels

This is the second time I stay at the Melia Fenix in the past year. It is greatly located for shopping or even business trips. It is even possible to walk to the main museums and the Retiro Park. The rooms are nicely appointed in a classic manner, newly refurbished with Etro freebies, Bang & Olufsen TVs and Cd player. It is worth paying the small diference for the superior rooms as they are so much roomier. Maybe not recommended for trips with children, as public areas are designed for a quiet drink or lunch. Definetly recommended for a city break!

Quiet Luxury

by TripAdvisor Member wrantar

Very good location for upscale shopping-close, antiques and also very good for restaurant locations. Room was small for this level of accommodation but tricked out with extensive architectural detailing and abundant use of rich fabrics that one was amazed at how spacious the room actually felt. Interior design firms should visit just to see what can be done to enhance a room. Helpful friendly staff, no attitude, very nice business center. Did not eat at the hotel because the dining room looked dead empty at all hours in the evening. Many nearby upscale restaurants. Absolutely avoid Café Nicoletto, at least if you're English-speaking, Just across the street. We were seated but couldn't get our order taken. Finally, the order was placed in food never arrived. I spoke to the manager who said there ovens were not operating while we can see everyone else being served food. At that point a woman (American as am I) approached me and said she had observed that we had not been served and that they couldn't get served either. We were then joined in conversation group of Brits with the same story. All three of groups left without being served. On the other hand, if you want a really delightful experience with good food and energy dynamic restaurant head to "Waddado", and with an easy to miss entrance about two blocks away. For good late night pizza try The local branch of Pizza Jardin, upstairs about a block and a half away.

relaxing stay, efficient service

by TripAdvisor Member kanercurran

We were looking for a relaxing weekend break in Madrid and the Grand Melia Fenix ticked all the boxes. We were greeted by friendly efficient staff who were very informative from the get go. Our room (215) was a deluxe upgrade for an extra €20 per night and it was worth it, the room was very well apportioned with a nice view of the square below.

The bar in the hotel is a very pleasant way to end an evening. The staff are very friendly and the bar is spacious and luxurious.

The staff were very responsive and our request for an iron and international adaptor was acted upon immediately. The staff were also very helpful in arranging a birthday dinner in an adjoining restaurant (Lur Maitea) and their recommendation was spot on.

Don’t waste your time leaving the surrounds of the hotel for shopping as it has the best options.

Plaza de OrientePlaza de Oriente

While on Hop-on Hop-off bus in Madrid, SpainWhile on Hop-on Hop-off bus in Madrid, Spain

Let's celebrate Arturito's birthday!Let's celebrate Arturito's birthday!

Edificio España (Madrid, Spain)Edificio España (Madrid, Spain)

finest hotel in all of madrid?

by monty-carlo5

hi

can you pls tell me what is the best hotel to stay in for 6 days in all of madrid?

maybe your top 3!

RE: finest hotel in all of madrid?

by royalempress

The Ritz Carlton is pretty fancy, way above my league. Its situated good and next to the Prado Museum.
Mike

RE: RE: finest hotel in all of madrid?

by Belsaita

Villamagna is said to be one of Europe's finest hotels. I've just been in the meeting rooms (company meeting), so I cannot speak about the rooms, but it looks gorgeous!!

RE: RE: finest hotel in all of madrid?

by SirRichard

I would say RITZ, PALACE and VILLAMAGNA are the top 3. Ritz and Palace are closer to the center, just a few meters from Prado Museum.

Joaquin

RE: finest hotel in all of madrid?

by Flopez

Palace
Hesperia
Ritz
Villamagna

Madridlenos - A quick question

by Roily

Greetings fellow VTers,

My wife and I are in Madrid for a "conference" at the end of August. We have booked our room at the Gran Melia Fenix, but we are concerned that it is too far North to walk to Sol and the central part of Madrid. Is this so?

Thanks,

Romano

by Belsaita

I do live now in Barcelona but before was living for 3 years in Madrid. IMO is not so far away, but I do like walking! :-) It's next to calle Serrano, the most important commercial street of Madrid (where all the posh brands have their shops) and paseo de Recoletos (lovely). It's really Madrid centre but if you consider Sol as "centre", it will take you maybe 40 minutes walking (or 10 minutes by metro). Many buses do stop there as well (plaza de Colon).I would prefer being there than in the old town, but it's a matter of taste.
Hope it helps!

by martuky

I live in Madrid, it is quite a bit to walk though you have the metro which is quite safe to get to sol much faster.

by Roily

Hi and thank you for your responses. Isa, we didn't realize that we were next to the commercial area. If the "posh" stores are on that street you mention would there also be some tapas bars around as well? Could you or anyone else mention a few that are close to the Melia Fenix?
Thanks
Romano

by Belsaita

There are tapas bars all around the city, as well as many other kind of restaurants (believe or not, we Spaniards not only eat tapas when going out!!). In fact, I'm not an expert on tapas bars. Not far from yout hotel... I can only recall now "José Luis" (Serrano 89) for classical tapas and raciones, and "Biotza" (Claudio Coello, 27) for trendy basque-style pintxos. Que aproveche!

by Lorro

I think you will enjoy the area you are in. The places Belsaita mentioned are great and there are sevral others in the Serrano area. From your hotel if you want to get to sol cheaply and not walk too much take the bus line 5 or 150 on the Paseo de la Castellana. Its not that long of a walk, a nice 20 or 30 minute stroll I would say.
Enjoy Madrid!

by Redang

Hi! There is another place for tapas called "El Lateral" on Velázquez 57 and, as Isa says, there are many many places to have lunch or dinner aswell; very good restaurants. Check: www.madaboutmadrid.com or www.guiadelocio.com.

Happy stay in Madrid.