High Tech Arturo Soria

Booking.com Travelocity Expedia.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 38% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Madrid

Who doesn't love old postcards?  Not me.Who doesn't love old postcards? Not me.

View of Carlos V fountain at nightView of Carlos V fountain at night

painting at Sorolla Museumpainting at Sorolla Museum

Monestario de las Descalzas RealesMonestario de las Descalzas Reales

Airport Transfer To Atocha

by asaustrup

I will be visiting Spain in April. In order to meet some friends we will be arriving at Barajas at 9:55 am on a Saturday and will be wanting to transfer immediately to Atocha to take a train south to Cordoba.

Can any of you kind members advise me on the most effective, economical way to transfer from the airport to Atocha? Any estimate of how long this transfer will take would also be appreciated.

Thanks,

by Aloe9678

I took the Metro directly from the airport to Atocha. It was only a couple Euro. I don't remember exactly how long it took, but the welcome/tourist desk at the airport helped.

by Redang

Check: www.metromadrid.es

by unaS

Having just landed in Madrid and dragging my wheelie along I wanted the easiest way to make that trip w/o too much changing of trains.

Thanks to the good advice of Belsaita, from Madrid airport I used the metro to Nuevos Ministerios, then the Cercanis train to Atocha RENFE train station, since I was off to Barcelona first of all.

Discovered a lovely indoor Tropical Botanical Garden in the station with a turtle pool of all things. Nice little 'outdoor' restaurant next to it too.

So Pedro's first tip above is the one I recommend.

Unas,

Thank you for the post. Upon reading it outloud to my wife she said "Awww, I want to see the turtles". Which station is this turtle pool close to? This appears to be a new "must see" attraction.

Cheers,

by asaustrup

Thank you everyone for the extremely helpful replies. Looks like the options are basically riding the Metro the whole way (on the same 2euro ticket?) and having a couple of transfers, or taking the cercania direct from Nuevos Ministerios to Atocha Renfe and avoiding the transfers for an extra 1.25 euros.

I guessing the cercania might be a little more "luggage friendly" than the metro? Are the metro and cercania tickets interchangeable like the RER/Metro in Paris?

Sounds very reasonable either way. Even I can't screw this up!

Cheers,

Hi asaustrup

Hi had a long wait for the Barcelona train at so I went for a walk and explored a bit. All I can really tell you is that I went outside of the Cercanis section and went down a moving ramp. Can't remember enough details to describe it better despite the fact that I can see it in my 'mind's eye'.

There is a photo of it from above on my Barcelona page which might help you to recognize it.

by unaS

Arne, I am kind of an expert at getting lost. If I could find it, anyone can :)

Travel Tips for Madrid

This two 'out-of-shape'...

by l_joo

This two 'out-of-shape' buildings, yeah. I wanted to walk to the Estadio Bernabeu, on the way this two weird looking object caught my attention, immediately I took the photo. Stay in an old pension cost me less than U$8. There were few guys approaching us the moment our bus arrived. I have no idea where to go but one guy came up and show me his pension address, okay the price! I decided to follow him, but when we are about to check-in, they change the price and tell us some stories, later I just walked away to another pension cost me only U$8.00 nice and comfortable with a back alley view, looks like a personal bungalow but anyway that's my Madrid accomodation.

Retiro Park

by SirRichard

If you need a break from the hush & rush of Madrid, come to the Retiro. You can sit at one of its many terraces and enjoy an 'horchata' (drink made out of milk) and a spanish tortilla. You can take a boat ride on the big central lake or attend a puppet show in the open air theatre. There is also the Crystal Palace (see photo), built to house a collection of exotic plants from the Philippines, and an observatory for stargazers. On weekends, look out for street musicians, jugglers, clowns, and even gypsy fortune-tellers. On sundays is too crowded. Metro: Retiro

Must go to football fan

by LoucoSP

To Football fans visit Real Madri stadium and museum is must see, because real is one the most impotant team in the world, and manny good playes have played there, the ticket costs 10 euros and itspossible visit whole stadium and museum and finish Stuff store.

its not necessary to book, but museum close 2 hours before the games.

museo de America

by ger4444

This museum keeps artefacts from Spanish colonial period. It has salons dedicated to several themes such as religion, society and communication. It keeps artefacts dating back from the pre-history. interesting is a Maya codex from the 16 th century. And there is tresures from the pre-collumbian times such as golden and silver objects.

traffic jam at 2 am - go figure!

by Malecka about General

I don't dare to write a lot about the night life in Madrid, since I can't say I had the FULL THROTTLE experience. And besides, I myself, have found amazing stuff writte by some of VT's member who live in Madrid.
I did go out in MalazaƱa and Chueca. For the record, CHUECA is not exactly just-gays neighbourhood. I mean, bars are mixed so... don't understand what the "fuss" was all about. Cool places. Had a drink there with Antonio and Javier... LONG LIVE VT again. And Antonio, gracias a ti. Nos vemos pronto. :-)

Comments