Hostal Abril

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Madrid

El Parque del RetiroEl Parque del Retiro

Reina Sofia MuseumReina Sofia Museum

This one's for you, Santi!This one's for you, Santi!

Smokers areaSmokers area

Looking for hotel recommendations near Plaza Mayor for 3 nights in March

by leoinv1

Hi!

I will be arriving from Barcelona in Madrid in mid March and will staying in Madrid for 3 nights. Initially, I wanted to stay near Atocha, as it's just a couple of metro stops from Plaza Mayor and the center of the city. Now I am thinking that may be I can take the metro with my luggage and stay near Plaza Mayor instead.

I am looking for a decent, clean and quiet hotel, preferably less than 85-90 EURO per night (can go as high as 95-100 if it's really good), not including the breakfast.

I see lots of hotels in this price range on venere and many other sites. But a typical review talks about "paper-thin" walls, etc. If anyone can suggest a reliable option in the center, I'd appreciate it. If you have any other advice, I'd appreciate it as well.

Thank you!

by worldinabag

Hi

I haven't stayed there but the Hotel Plaza Mayor - http://www.h-plazamayor.com - is well recommended on the forums.

by suvanki

Hi, I always look at Venere.com, and Booking.com when choosing accommodation- you can look at properties in the area and price range that you want, and check out reviews from people who've stayed there. Venere-no money passes hands until arrival/departure, Bookings -10% up front.
I stayed at Astoria Hostal (Hostals in Spain are = to a 2* hotel)which was just off Sol, so in easy reach of the main attractions (including P. Mayor)/metro etc (Sol was the nearest metro at the time of my visit-Seville was closed, but may well have re-opened now)
I paid 96 euros for 2 nights single en suite room-room only, but plenty of cafes nearby for breakfast - also drinks machines available - Coffee/tea/ chocolate and beer/water/juices/cola etc.
I didn't notice any untoward noise, apart from some building work,(extending/renovating the property) but this didn't start until after 0900hrs,and was finished before I returned late afternoon, and I'm sure this will be finished by now!I'd certainly return here again!

Please check out my page for more info

by leoinv1

> Hi

-------
Thank you! I check their web site. For the dates that I will be staying, there are only smoking double rooms available there. So I have to look at other alternatives.

by Roadquill

For an OK place ( my daughters thought it was cool) just SE of Plaza Major is ElTiempo de Buscar (on my Madrid page) for about 60 euro per night. My wife was not impressed so the next time we went to the TYRP Cibeles on Gran Via (5 minute walk to Sol) for about 120 euro if you book early enough. It is a much nicer place. Karl

by dino335

If you don't mind no frills but very clean, excellent location, solid walls, (ask for room not facing street, Hostal Riesco, Correo 2, Madrid 28012, Spain is right around the corner from the Puerta del Sol. No Breakfast but room price is definitely in your range. This is a family ran business and the rooms are on the 3rd and 4th floor of a 19th Century building.

Travel Tips for Madrid

Need to get online?

by acemj

There are plenty of internet places in Madrid. In the area around my hostal, there were three or four (Puerta del Sol).

There's an Easy Everything near Sol as well as a place called Cybers Canal at Calle Espoz y Mina off of Sol. Just walk around and you'll see some places to get online.

Gazpacho

by b1bob

At first I wasn't sure about the concept of a cold soup, but when I was studying in Madrid it sounded like a good idea at the time because every day it was as hot as a tar road in Tennessee. Besides, I liked all the ingredients (tomatoes, cucumbers and other vegetables). I loved my first go of gazpacho at the Cisneros Dining Hall at the Complutense. It is a treat on a hot day. RECIPE:

8 tomatoes
1/4 litre olive oil
vinegar
salt
water

Place the peppers without pips or centre, the peeled cucumbers, tomatoes, peeled garlic, bread, oil, vinegar, and salt into the beater. Crush and add water to taste. Serve cold. It can be garnished with pieces of cucumber, tomato, bread, and peppers.

Cosy Wine Bar with Gourmet Appetizers!

by sleepingwolf

Although Taberna de Cien Vinos was mentioned in my Fodor's guide, it was not marked on the map and I feel few would venture to find it at night. We found it first on a Monday night and it was closed, however we were so intrigued we swore to return the following night to sample the offering and were not disapointed. The tavern of 100 wines is a small one room wine shop wine the wine selection of kings and politocs and tastey treats of efficinadoes.
We whiled away 3 hours enjoying romantic mood of the mostly local haunt.
To die for was the lamb ravoli, seated on a platform of fried wonton paper and a bead of letuce. I beleive my eyes rolled into my head with a taste of this excellent creation. We also tries and enjoyed thinly sliced cured beef with an oil dressing - a very rich treat which reminded me of the beef tartar served before the meal at some French restaurants.

Haute Couture Reigns in Spain!

by sleepingwolf about Uptown girl loves Spain Fashion!

No one shop in Madrid can explain its fashion sense, there are so many that shock your sould My favorite. Mango, also in Barcelona, is a hit for fun, fashion, young and hip clothing. Miss Sixty, I spotted it on this trip, is for the more adventurous, almost fetish-style items. Additionally, some of the best bridal couture is designed and made in Spain. Pronovias exports to the US but there are so many bridal and formal wear shops that just overwhelm one with passion for dressing rich. Whatever you cannot buy in your part of the US. If you live in NY or LA your fashion availabilities may not be as limited as mine. I love to buy the creative and bold outfits that you would have to special order from some over priced, low quality - club clothes catalog here in the US. There you can try on what you like, feel the quality and dance in it to happening music right there in the store. I also have found no problems using my AMEX in clothes stores in Spain, of course they may see me coming, as the card is burning through my pocket as I walk in the door. Shopping in Spain is comparable if not cheaper than in the US. If you are from NY or LA you will love the prices.

At the end of the night (or.. the new day)

by Gaby_G about Streets

Nightlife in Madrid, is the "livest" I´ve ever knew... Discos are open almost seven days a week, and the dance floor let people do "their moves" until 6am the next morning... So, for those of you that stay until they turn on the lights in the discos, will be a good notice to know that the subway starts service at 6am (so you can go from the nightclub right to the subway...) You can also have a "bicata" (snack) outside at some of the little "stands" almost always owned by oriental people.

-------------------

La vida nocturna en Madrid, es la mas activa que yo he conocido. Los bares y discos abren casi 7 días a la semana, hasta las 6am del día siguiente, y como buena noticia para aquellos a los que les gusta quedarse hasta que se encienden las luces, el metro empieza actividades a esa hora (6am) asi que pueden irse directo de la disco al metro, no sin antes pasar por un puestito y comerse un bocata de las chinitas...

Comments