Hostal Acapulco

Salud, 13, 4th floor, Plaza del Carmen, Madrid, Spain

More about Hostal Acapulco

Quiet spot in the heart of Madrid

by TripAdvisor Member STL_MO_Traveler

Hostal Acapulco was a great low budget way to stay in the heart of Madrid. The Hostal is close to everything, yet on the fairly quiet Plaza Del Carmen. We stayed 4 nights over New Years Eve @ 56 Euro per night. Rooms are good size (for Europe) and clean with free internet access. Our room did have 2 twin beds so my wife and I had to do a little re-arranging. The lift is unusual and certainly worth a few pictures, but as Javier told us "Everything was replaced 9 months ago, it is very safe". Javier and everyone at the hostal were very kind and helpful. All of the day staff spoke English. THANK YOU JAVIER ! :-)

Everything you want to see in Madrid is within easy walking distance or you can catch the subway on Grand Via a little over a block away.

The vegetarian restaurant (Artemisa) across the street is very good, just be sure to get there as they open otherwise you will have a substantial wait. For coffee and/or breakfast, go to Faborit on Calle Alcala (next to the Starbucks across the street from Banco de Espana). If you love ham, Madrid (and Spain) is your slice of heaven! Every restaurant will give you many ham options, also check out the Museo del Jamon. For picnic provisions or in room snacks, go to El Corte Ingles department store which has a grocery in the basement or if you are just looking for some fruit there is a fruit market on the other side of Plaza del Carmen.

If you are going to Museo del Prado or Centro de Arte Reina Sofía it's best to be there when they open. It will allow you a few quiet moments in the museum with beautiful art before the tour bus hordes arrive.

DO be sure to have a money belt or neck wallet as there are many pickpockets in Madrid.

Also learn at least a little rudimentary Spanish before you go. Most Spaniards are understanding if you are trying to speak their language and will help you as best they can.

Enjoy Spain! We did!

Fantastic find

by TripAdvisor Member knievel

I emailed the hotel directly after reading the LP and TA reviews and got a very quick and helpful response from Javier. My fiancee and I ended up staying two nights in late January and our only problem was not being able to stay for the duration of our visit to Madrid because of previous bookings at the hotel.

Room and bathroom are small, but very clean, with character, and a pretty strong, hot shower. Even though our room was the second door in from the lobby, we couldn´t hear a peep since there are two doors separating the bedroom from the corridor and another door separating the corridor from the lobby. Noise from outside was also non-existent. As an added bonus, there is a PC with internet access right in the lobby which guests can use for free.

Staff were fantastic and recommended a superb and surprisingly cheap restaurant on the road just behind the hotel (Restaurante Puerto Rico on Calle Chinchilla). Of the three hotels we stayed at in Madrid, this was by far the nicest and at €57 also the cheapest.

Great location, 2 mins walk from Gran Via Metro (two metro lines) stop and only slightly further from Puerto del Sol (many metro lines). Palacio Real and Plaza Mayor are within 10 mins walking. Easy access by mass transit from the airport (30-40 mins) or Atocha trains station (15 mins).

Kudos to the Acapulco!

by TripAdvisor Member Desert_Plop

I'm glad we read the reviews and decided to try the Hostal Acapulco because it is a gem considering its location and excellent value at e57 for a nicely renovated double room. Javier, Marcos and Ana were extremely helpful and gracious, and arranged two out of area tours for us. The free internet access was very useful to monitor our stand-by return flight availabilty and e-mail accounts. We tried the Restaurante Puerto Rico based on another poster's tip and loved it. Also, the small coffee shop next door starts serving breakfast around 6:45am, which is early for Madrid. We highly recommend the Acapulco and would definitely stay there again. The elevator is a trip!

A friendly place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member Waiariki

We read the trip advisor reviews before booking and found that indeed, the staff were extremely helpful and friendly. I e-mailed with enquiries before we left home and Javier was most helpful. His instructions for getting from the airport by metro were really easy to follow. The room was clean and a reasonable size. It was well-located by a quiet plaza and there was a free internet connection for guests. It was close to two metro and many eating places and about 15 minutes' walk from major museums and galleries. The only downside was that the room walls were not really soundproof and that you could hear all the coughs and snores and conversations from adjoining rooms. My husband had a cold and was very self-conscious of midnight coughing fits!

Nice location, mostly friendly service

by TripAdvisor Member LivingJoyfully

I stayed here on two separate occasions in early and mid-March '07: the first few nights in Spain and the last two nights. It's a small hostal on the 4th floor of a walk-up (with cool antiquated elevator), that is a 3-minute walk from the Plaza del Sol. It's also across the street from the town's best vegetarian restaurant and a five-minute walk to email/beer/pastry/soccer at Zahara's. I paid $57E./night for one person, a bargain in expensive Madrid. The rooms are an interesting mix of classic gold mirrors, lively salmon-colored walls, and creaky twin beds. The bathrooms are gorgeous. Four out of five staff were wonderful, especially Javier and Anna. One of the staff, who I won't mention, has an annoying French-like habit of pretending he doesn't understand you if you pronounce a Spanish word incorrectly. He also insists you speak Spanish, no matter how bad you speak it, and even though he speaks perfectly good English--not a winning combination for easy dialogue. All-in-all, an enjoyable experience and recommended.

Great value for money in a central location

by TripAdvisor Member Fleur33

We stayed at the Hostal Acapulco in Madrid for 2 nights (May 13 & 14) and found it to be excellent value for money. As promised in other reports on tripadvisor, it was in a central location.

Javier was brilliant - so helpful. He directed us to a great little restaurant (La Gloria de Montera) where we ended up eating twice. The hotel room was large, bright , quiet and clean - and only 58 Euros.

I would definitely go back there again.

A little gem

by TripAdvisor Member Malbear

This is a little gem. Firstly the location is superb between Sol and Gran Via Metro Stations. The staff are charming and helpful and the rooms - though small- are beautifully furnished. The bathrooms are particularly striking with their Pompeian red and black tiles. Any downsides - they don't serve breakfast but that is easily found in cafes nearby. They are on the 4th floor and each time we pushed the bell we prayed no-one was stupid enough to leave the lift door open. This happened only once and the lift had stopped just one floor above which wasn't a problem. A very popular feature of the hotel is free Internet access. A word of warning to anyone intending taking the Metro from the airport to the city. Pickpocketing is rife and travellers with luggage are prime targets. My travelling companion had his wallet stolen. Javier at the Hostal was extremely helpful in helping my friend cancel his credit cards and pointing us towards the police station.

Fantastic value for money

by TripAdvisor Member momfromma

I had been in Spain with my 2 and 4 year old daughters, visiting Spanish friends for a month. We spent our last three nights in Madrid at the Hostal Acapulco. It was PERFECT. The location cannot be beat in relation to its location in Madrid (10 minute walk to the Plaza Mayor, 3 minutes to the Plaza del Sol) and looks over a pretty little square, the rooms were quiet and dark, it was SPOTLESS, and the staff was very helpful and friendly. They went out of their way to help me make arrangements to take the girls to the circus in town, and answered all the questions I had. Oh, and the rooms had TV, small refrigerators, phones . . . Ours has three twin beds, and a small balcony overlooking the square -- it was perfect, and for 55 euros a night, a bargain! Truly, though it wasn't grand in any sense of the word, it was lovely, and I can't imagine why anyone would spend 4 or more times as much to stay somewhere else with more or less the same amenities. . .

Great value, great people

by TripAdvisor Member errant

I really liked the Hostal Acapulco. It is central to EVERYTHING -- you can't beat the location. It is clean. Yeah, it's spartan but you're not paying for the Ritz. It is safe. I had no problem with the concept of leaving stuff in my room. The people are wonderful. As many have written, Javier and Ana are the kindest, most thoughtful people. They go out of their way to help you out.

My only complaint was the ambient noise outside. Madrid is a noisy city. You don't go there for a good night's sleep, that's for sure. But that's not the Hostal Acalpulco's fault.

Value for money? You bet. I'd highly recommend it. Clean, safe, reasonably priced accommodation in the heart of Madrid? This place offers it.

Comments