Hortaleza, 19 - 5º Piso, Madrid, 28004, Spain

More about Hostal America

MADRID

by davidcross about MADRID
Hostal America

About £10 equivalent single at the time. Completely unpretentious - shared bathrooms - lift and price make it good for a one-night stay.

Exterior Of Atocha rail StationExterior Of Atocha rail Station

The trainshed, Madrid-Atocha.The trainshed, Madrid-Atocha.

Puerta de Europa (Madrid, España/Spain)Puerta de Europa (Madrid, España/Spain)

Señor CowboySeñor Cowboy

In Madrid for 1 day...ideas?

by klmousseau

Hello,
My friend & I will be in Madrid for a 1 day layover. We are looking for any suggstions you may have for what to do or see.
-We looked at possibly going to Toledo for a short visit, but will that be too rushed? We will be in Madrid from early morning till 11pm.
-We were also looking to see a Flamenco show, but I see that most of them start quite late. We do need to leave the city by 11pm. Does anyone know of a place that has earlier shows?
-If you had a choice of seeing just 1 or 2 museums that are quintessentially Madrid, which would you choose?
-Are there other sites or activities that are must see or do? (we have never been to Spain before)
-We were looking to get a ticket for the Hop-on-Hop-off Bus, is this worth it, or are we fine with the metro?
I know it's a shame that we have only 1 day, but i'm sure we'll return on another trip in the future!
Thank you!

by rexvaughan

Your choices are many for your day. I personally only like the hop-on-hop-off buses for orientation and ideas of places to come back to and that will not really work in your case. If it were me, I would visit the Prado, one of the world's great museums and possibly stop off at the nearby Riena Sofia just to see Picasso's "Gernica." Don't know about Flamenco shows but maybe someone else will. As for getting around, the metro is good and easy to use. If you don't find an early show, a walk along the street leading from Sol (just behind the bear statue) will get you in the midst of the locals out for their evening stroll. Great if you like people watching at all. There is also a Ben & Jerry's there if you are into ice cream but probably a gelateria along there as well.

by Donna_in_India

Hi - we also like to do the hop on/hop off in a new city but didn't do it in Madrid. We enjoyed plenty of walking and the Metros as well. We didn't have much time in Madrid either (it was more a base to visit relatives in Ibiza) but I know almost immediately that I was going to regret not having more time there! I loved the energy of Madrid.

We didn't go to the very famous Prado since we had seen and would be seeing so many museums during our long trip, but of course it's always highly recommended. We did go to the Palacio Real which I really loved and would recommend doing. (You can see my Madrid Things to do tip for further details.)

One thing I would not recommend doing is going to a bullfight! It is absolutely horrifying.

Don't forget to stop somewhere and have some delicious tapas too! Happy Travels!

by nomad7890

Personally I like the Prado museum although you will not be able to see it all. I would walk from the Prado tree lined center, from the Netupe statue down to the Cibeles statue - then go down Recoletos and have something to eat at Cafe Gijon - a bit pricey but good.

You could go back thru the Neptune statue and take Carrera de San Vicente down to Sol - this is the center of Madrid where the famous Tio Pepe sign is. A little walking will be good. Have some dessert at La Mallorquina ... or find chocolateria San Gines off Arenal Street and have some hot chocolate with churros ... hmmm!

I did not really get too much off the hop on hop off bus as in other cities.
If you like football (soccer) - you could get in the Metro and take a tour of Santiago Bernabeu stadium - I found this great fun - the metro stops right in front.

You should also try to go to Retiro park - very nice. So I would take a map of Madrid (Google) and plan the walk.

Travel Tips for Madrid

Street Signs

by Nathalie_B

This is something that I really liked about Madrid. The ornate street-name signs can be called everything but ordinary. Each sign contains the name and an ornament that usually reflects the name. These are very detailed, colorful, and, indeed, creative signs. So much thought was put into each of them to make it look so inventive.

Cycling around Madrid

by baketravel

We always find that the best way to explore a city is by bike. At first we had some trouble finding a bike rental shop in Madrid, but then found one near Plaza Mayor. We had great fun exploring the city on our bikes. If you avoid the main streets and are used to cycling through city traffic, this is a great way to discover the city and visit its main attractions. Especially recommended is cycling through Retiro park or along the wide avenues on Sunday morning, when there is almost no traffic.
Price is 24 euros for the weekend, but they are closed on Sundays so this only works if you can return the bike on Monday morning. You can also rent a bike for one day. They do not speak English, but with little knowledge of Spanish (bike=bicicleta; rent=alquilar) you're in business! Otero's shop is at Calle Segovia 18-20, 5 minutes walk from the Plaza Mayor.

CONSEJOS PARA NO ABURRIRSE EN EL SUPERMERCADO

by balihai69 about CUALQUIER SITIO

1. Consigue 24 cajas de condones y colócalas al azar
en los carros de la gente cuando no miren

2. Programa todos los despertadores de la sección
hogar para que suenen en intervalos de 5 minutos

3. Haz un rastro de zumo de tomate en el suelo camino
de los servicios

4. Acércate a un empleado y dile en tono serio:
"código 3 en hogar" y observa la reacción

5. Monta una tienda de campaña en el departamento de
camping y diles al resto de los compradores que solo
les invitas si traen almohadas del departamento de
camas

6. Cuando se te acerque una dependienta y te pregunte
si te puede ayudar, empieza a llorar y pregunta: ¿por
qué no me podéis dejar en paz?

7. Mira fijamente a la cámara de seguridad y utilízala
de espejo mientras pescas en tu nariz

8. Mientras miras pistolas/cuchillos pregúntale a la
dependienta si sabe donde están los anti-depresivos

9. Anda por el supermercado de forma sospechosa
mientras tarareas en alto la música de misión
imposible

10. Escóndete en los percheros y cuando la gente este
echando un vistazo grita "fóllame, fóllame"

11. Cuando haya un aviso por megafonía ponte en
posición fetal mientras dices "otra vez las voces"

12. Metete en un probador y grita muy alto : eh, no
hay papel !!!!

Madrid never sleeps!
Just...

by CarineBXL

Madrid never sleeps!
Just avoid some streets going from Puerta del Sol to Gran Via at night, but go to the barrio de Salamanca (also near Puerta del Sol), or Chueca (gay area).
As the dinner is beginning at 10 pm, you have all the time to enjoy la noche madrileña!
alive! smart but not formal!

Comments