Hostal Conchita II

Hostal Conchita II
Booking.com Priceline.com TheHotels.com

Satisfaction Poor

More about Madrid

JumpingMARIELEXOTERIA + Cachaseiro, Madrid, SpainJumpingMARIELEXOTERIA + Cachaseiro, Madrid, Spain

The Temple of Debod, Madrid, December 2002The Temple of Debod, Madrid, December 2002

J&J Books and Coffee in MadridJ&J Books and Coffee in Madrid

Calle de Zaragoza (Madrid, España/Spain)Calle de Zaragoza (Madrid, España/Spain)

Where can you see the Don Quijote windmills using public transportation?

by nomad7890

I have been to Madrid and many of the nearby towns, but I have yet to find the windmills (Don Quijote's giants!).

Is there a way to see these using public transportation? I was thinking of spending a couple of days in Madrid before the May Lisbon VT meet and would enjoy the seeing the windmills.

Not sure if Cercanias to Alacala de Henares passes by ...

by puerto_lover

One of the famous sites is at CONSUEGRO. Windmills on a ridge above the town. This is just off the road that links the main A4 Autopista running south from Madrid, with the Autovia de los Viñedos. By car it is about 140 kms south.

Alcala de Henares is north west of Madrid and was the birthplace of Miguel de Cervantes.

I think what you need are the famous windmills of La Mancha. If you are in Consuegro and have a car you can drive ERast and visit others in this region. Some nice examples are to be found at Campo de Criptana.

Best thing is find a VTer who will offer to drive you on a windmill tour.

by nomad7890

Thanks. Transportation does not look promising ... but I'll figure it out.

by cachaseiro

i went out there by bicycle myself, but i guess that is only for weird tossers like me:O)

by Belsaita

Hi Nomad!

The correct name of the town with the most famous 'molinos' is ConsuegrA in Toledo's province. I went there by my own car, but according the town website there are buses from Toledo and Madrid:

It may a very nice daytrip. Not sure if it's possible to reach the windmills and castle by public transport from the town, but a taxi will not cost so much

See you in Lisbon!! and maybe in Australia!! :o)

by nomad7890

Thanks! There is a Hertz in Toledo - so maybe I'll venture to rent a car just for a little while.

Right ... I'm a wimpy biker!

Hola Isa! - I have my air tickets to Lisbon already. Not sure if I'll go to Morocco or not.

Hi Pedro!

by nomad7890

Couple of other questions ...

From Toledo, are the windmills on the way, or after you get to Consuegra.

Photos show people walking - I assume there is a place to park to walk up the windmills?

How bad is parking in Consuegra itself?

Thanks.

by nomad7890

I can handle 37 miles ... will pick up car in Toledo.

I'll take any excuse to hang out in Madrid for a night before the VT meet - so now I have a plan to be there!

by Belsaita

It sounds as a good plan Martha. You will love the area, not only the windmills

I'm really looking forward the Lisbon meeting. But finally I will probably not join the Morocco pre-meeting trip, back to real life... I can't go everywhere I'd like to!

by nomad7890

I am pretty much on the same path re. the Morocco meet, I will be skipping it for now. Need to go drop. I would like to go to Carcassone (after reading La Reina Oculta) - and if time to Beziers ... and I want to Consuegra before the meet.

Travel Tips for Madrid

Next day

by Lalique

And the next morning Madrid proposed me a ride, it said that it won't be long and boring and that I would be able to see what it is famous for.... Oh, well, I couldn't resist...
So we met on Puerta del Sol. It said - this is the place all people come to and go from, this is the hub of all my ways and directions, so let us start here and this will be the place we return to...

People are REALLY friendly and...

by frenchlondon

People are REALLY friendly and helpful, but u need to show ou are trying to make an effort to communicate to them. They seem to be annoyed (and i dont blame them) by the English speaking people who seem to expect everybody to speak English. Even though i don't speak spanish, there are other ways to make understand what u want, that's y it is still necessary to learn a few very basic words. Then people will speak English to you..but again, u need to make an effort...

Botanical Gardens

by Roadquill

We spent a few hours relaxing in the Botanical Gardins. In addition to enjoying the mulitude of plants, both outdoors and in the greenhouse, there was considerable shade. There was a 3 euro charge to get in. Just South of the Prado.

Principe Pio Shopping Mall

by pupina about Shopping Areas

This is a huge (by Maltese standards) shopping mall with loads of clothes shops, shoe shops, accessories shops etc. Spanish fashion is incredible and since I went during the summer sales, I got really great bargains. There are a few franchise shops, such as Zara, Mango, H&M but there are also loads of other shops selling loads of stuff.

If you wnat to heard good and...

by Trindade

If you wnat to heard good and free Flamenco Music you must to to CARDAMOMO(calle echecaray - near Puerta del Sol) on wednesdays and Sundays) and LOS GABRIELES in the same street on tuesdays. In those days they have alive music. And some times even dance show!

Those places you can know spanish peolple and even original gipsyies!

It a good place to have real good fun!

Comments