Hostal Enebral

Hostal Enebral
CheapTickets.com Booking.com Travelocity

• illumina's Profile Photo

Cheap and Cheerful!

In August 2008, we were actually this hostel's very first guests! In fact, when we arrived, they hadn't even put the sign up yet, so it was quite fortunate that I'd written down the address, it still wasn't the easiest place to find!

Despite that, we received a very friendly welcome, and for us, our stay there was fine. The room was fairly small, but it was enough for our needs. The two shared bathrooms were clean. My only real complaint was the fact that the air conditioning didn't work, but they'd provided an electric fan instead - an August night in Madrid is always going to be hot!

More about Madrid

Cathedral de la AlmudenaCathedral de la Almudena

Las Ventas.Las Ventas.

Real Jardin BotanicoReal Jardin Botanico

El Rastro (Madrid, España/Spain)El Rastro (Madrid, España/Spain)

1 Day layover

by klmousseau

Hello,
I have a 1 day layover and Madrid and was looking for either a Hostel or budget hotel for under 35 Euro a night for 2 people or a hostel that will allow us to use the facilities (ie: shower) for the day. (i checked out some day uses, but they require a previous night's stay) Or are there showers at Madrid Barajas airport?
Thanks.

Re: 1 Day layover

by puerto_lover

Have not done this personally but I have a feeling that there are some facilities including showers inside those exclusive airport lounges. Maybe someone who has visited one of these lounges can tell us. Whether they are airside or not and if they are in your arrival terminal is another question ! Barajas has grown over the years and the new Terminal 4 complex designed by Rogers must surely cater for all the normal passengers' needs such as yours. Or so I would hope.
I looked on the Spanish Airports web site for Barajas airport (www.aena.es)
and it said this:

Can I access a VIP lounge with a coach class ticket if I pay?

Yes, if the service is provided by the airline, passengers should enquire.

In the case of Aena VIP lounges, passengers must purchase a voucher at the till. For further information on the steps to follow, please call 913 936 112.

Travel Tips for Madrid

The Sky of Madrid

by DanielF

Being a large city with serious traffic problems, Madrid also has to deal with a considerable air pollution. However, Madrid benefits from the fresh air that comes from the nearby Sierra de Guadarrama. It is indeed the highest capital in the European Union at 655 meters over the sea level (Moreover, it is only second to the micro-capital of Andorra at continental level).

This mountain breeze cleans the air of Madrid and adds to the spectacular blue skies that the city enjoys during most of the year and that have inspired such world known painters as Velázquez or Goya.

Late nighters!

by jamiesno

There is one thing you will learn about Spaniards and the people in Madrid particularly. They get up late, the stay out late, they eat late and a lot of them have a ciesta mid afternoon to get them through the day :-)

In all seriousness though its not like in North America where you have your supper at 5:00 pm or so. People eat light during the day and have their main meal 10:00 pm for example.

Peurto Del Sol and the Plaza Mayor are very busy places late into the night and they are there all ages.

I'll never forget one night seeing a very young girl having her cigarette walking so confidently through the streets all cosmopolitan looking. She might have been 15 at the most.

Basílica de San Francisco el Grande

by xiquinho

In 1760, Carlos III built this impressive basilica on the site of a Franciscan convent, allegedly founded by St. Francis of Assisi in 1217. The dome, 108 ft in diameter, is the largest in Spain, even larger than that of St. Paul's in London, where its 19 bells were cast in 1882. The seven main doors were carved of American walnut by Casa Juan Guas. Three chapels adjoin the circular church, the most famous being that of San Bernardino de Siena, which contains a Goya masterpiece depicting a preaching San Bernardino. The figure standing on the right, not looking up, is a self-portrait of Goya. The 16th-century Gothic choir stalls came from La Cartuja del Paular, in rural Segovia province.

COST: Free. Tues.-Fri. 11-12:30 and 4-6:30.
-Fodors

If you like retro...

by tweetycaro about go to Popland.

These are 2 very cool shops, one for accessories (clothes, handbags,...) and the other has curiosity and retro stuff.
They both are in the same street:
C/Manuela Malasana 7 and 24. Everything !!!!

Brings memories back

by Nathalie_B about Cafeeke

Cafeeke was introduced to me by Urzu. Ursula is a dearest friend with whom I spent wonderful 2 years of university courses and bar hopping in the Netherlands. Occasionally, we’d hop on a train and go to the neighboring Belgium to “sample” infinite brands of beers.
When I visited Madrid, again, in February 2008 she surprised me with a small VT meeting in this tiny bar located close to Plaza Mayor.
Cafeeke serves mostly Belgian beers, keeping some local brands for the locals. The atmosphere is very homey and the owner is nice and friendly.
We started with Kwak that we both love so much, then proceeded to Duvel, then Leffe and then we had our favorite Palm that reminds of the student years so much, and then…. who remembers? Together with VT members Redang and MollyMo00o00 we spent quite a few hours in this small and cozy (or should I say Gezellige) bar.
I wasn’t hungry, still digesting huge burger from Hard Rock Café, but Santi, Urzu, and Molly enjoyed casserole of mussels and complemented the chef.
Time was flying and when we remembered to look at our watches it was already after 1am. Metro was already closed and Urzu and I had to march to my hotel.
Once back to Madrid, I’ll do again, I will miss a train, a bus, or even a dinner, but I won’t miss Cafeeke.

Comments