Calle Campomanes 6, Madrid, 28013, Spain
CheapTickets.com Hotelsclick.com Hostelworld.com

Satisfaction Poor

More about Madrid

View of the Royal Palace from Plaza de OrienteView of the Royal Palace from Plaza de Oriente

toledo cathedraltoledo cathedral

Felippe III statue at Plaza MayorFelippe III statue at Plaza Mayor

Madrid's famous "Gran Via"Madrid's famous "Gran Via"

Have you been to any of these places - which would you recommend?

by nomad7890

Read this in El Mundo a few months back (ok, I know, I should be reading El Pais instead ...)

Can you recommend any of these places?

Particularly Casa Pepe and El Bonar de Leon look great ... I was thinking of going to El Bonar ... comments?

by nomad7890

... good to know I'm not the only El Mundo fan Pedro!

by Aitana

I also read usually El Mundo. Don't be ashamed of reading it! I thing it is the most reliable newspaper nowadays.

by nomad7890

Thank you Carmen. I'm used to its online edition and know where to look for things (even after they made a few changes recently) - but I spent a week in a train where some people made funny faces, including the lady I was sitting with most of the time.

I guess people will have different choices.

Hope you're not near the fires - although it's a ways from Teruel.

by Aitana

El Pais is the "politically correct" newspaper, but actually, if you look for information about certain topics, you won't find it there. Yes, some people look at you "de aquella manera" when you read El Mundo, I know... But the readers increase and are not a minority, sure.

As for the fires, it's being terrible. I feel safe, I mean that the fires in the province of Alicante are far enough, in the mountains, near Alcoy and Sierra de Aitana. I hope they are soon under control.

In the province of Cuenca, where I was born, there are also some active fires, one of them in Uña, a wonderful place at the Serranía de Cuenca. Do you know this area?

The last days we have been in Galicia, where the temperatures were quite lower. But here, we have from 35 to 40ºC, and this doesn't help to the fire extinction.

by nomad7890

Thanks Pedro ... yes that is a good assesment!

I have not been to Cuenca (yet). I am headed for Madrid next Thursday if all goes well (the VT meet in Madrid) and was headed for Teruel for a couple of days (el mismo Teruel) - then Albarracin. From there I'm going up to Asturias.

I've had a visit to Cuenca planned for a while, but always something happens and I have to change course - but I should be visiting soon.

I still have to visit Alicante, Valencia, Murcia, Extramadura, Rioja y Navarra - but I'm hoping to visit el sur en el invierno, norte en el verano!

All the best getting the fires under control!

by Aitana

Pedro simply resumed it. I mean, the newspapers.

by Aitana

The right decission, Marta: south in the winter, north in the summer. Especialmente en veranos como este. El calor es insoportable. We are missing the temperatures we had in Galicia. Even the last days, when it was raining cats and dogs!
I hope the heat goes down by the time you come.
Before going to Teruel or other forest areas, check the news.

by nomad7890

Thank you! Yes, I'll keep monitoring the fires. I know by the time I left Padron in 2007 breathing was becoming difficult!

Travel Tips for Madrid

Free Internet and Tourist Information

by aeroarce

At the Tourist Promotion center of the Region of Madrid, at puerta de Atocha is located the best tourist information in town and also there is a free 30minutes of internet service for any one around. So if you are around and want to check your e-mails from home, just go there. the address is: Centro Puerta de Toledo. at Ronda de toledo, 1 5thfloor tel: 00 34 913641876

turismo@madrid.org
www.madrid.org

You have Metro line % "Puerta de Toledo"
Buses: 3, 17, 18, 23, 35, 41, 60 and 148.

Hours: from monday to saturday 10am to 21pm. sundays: 10am to 14:30pm.

The center is inside the comercial mall at Puerta de Toledo on the %th floor, just follow the indications inside the building or ask any body. on top follow the computers and you will see a guy seated on a separated table with a computer, ask him and he will tell you how it goes. smile at him and will be friendly.

Jamon, Jamon!

by sharala

Without a doubt, in my travels all over Spain and particularly in Madrid, seeing all the hanging jamons (hams) was one of the most consistent customs of the Spanish I noticed. Why, I've never seen a people love a meat product as passionately! Nowhere was this Spanish love affair more in evidence than at the Museo Del Jamon on the Gran Via!
You must stop in, at least to take a picture, of the wall-to-wall coverage--and I mean that literally--of hams. Incredible!

Daytrip to Chinchon.

by cachaseiro

Chinchon is a small town located around 50 kilometers south east of Madrid and a really nice daytrip if you want to gte away from the hustle and bustle of Madrid.
It´s an old historical town that has a very big main square that is ocasionally used as a bullring and they even have the running of the bulls there once a year.
There are frequent bus connections between Madrid and Chinchon and the ride takes about an hour.

KIO Towers

by SirRichard

This modern "Twin Pisa Towers" are located at the norternmost extreme of "La Castellana" avenue, close to Chamartin Railway Station. There's nothing really interesting inside to see, but the photo of tourists trying to "hold" both towers is becoming popular. You can see often people making a photo in the "pushing" position, as in Pisa (Italy).

Meeting the Locals

by jm34bee about General

The Plaza Santa Ana/Huertas area is a great place to have a drink or try some sangria. There are bars up and down the streets of all types suchas Irish pubs, salsa clubs, and lounges.
I found most of the local Spanish people to be very nice.

Comments