Hostal Margarita

More about Madrid

Not Barclays, Some Other Bank ATMNot Barclays, Some Other Bank ATM

Madrid - SpainMadrid - Spain

Palacio RealPalacio Real

Metro of Madrid (España/Spain)Metro of Madrid (España/Spain)

San Isidro dates

by LECanada

Hello, I will be in madrid on may 18th-26
I see this festivial might be on at the same time? Please tell me if that's correct? What date does it end on? Will there be lots of crowds and lineups?
Thanks.

Re: San Isidro dates

by breughel

I have been in Madrid in May as it is a fine period for the weather between cold winter and super hot summer. No particular problem with the Feria di San Isidro; Madrid is always full of life.
It seemed to me that the festivities turned a lot about the daily bullfights at the famous arenas of Las Ventas. Toreros and "aficionados" all over our hotel and Las Ventas full booked. The Feria di San Isidro is a mix of a religious feast on 15 May and a most important bullfighting festival from 7/05 - 31/05/2009.
Best is to stay away in the late afternoon from the subway lines 2 and 5 who bring the crowds to Plaza de LAS VENTAS.

Travel Tips for Madrid

Plaza Mayor

by Malecka

The first day we decided to continue towards Plaza Mayor. It really is one of the most incredible places I have seen so far. The shape, the buildings, the golden glow of the afternoon Sun, the people enjoying a glass of wine… a fantastic spot.

My poor mother, who I dragged to a bullfight

by tyerks

Ahh... bullfighting, Spain's very controversial past time. I was going to put this under "must see" but then I thought, well, it's really just a matter of opinion on this one. I had to go, because I wanted to see what it was all about (I'm really interested in the culture) Well, it's gory, let me tell you. My mom was a little worried about me at first, because I wasn't sure what to expect, and I just turned white during the first fight. And we were way up top in the cheapest seats!! First of all, there are 6 bullfights. (I stayed for four) The first thing that happens is, of course, they let the bull loose. There are men with pink capes who work the bull, so the matador can see how the bull is, and also to wear it out a little. Then, out comes two men on horses. (The horses have protection) The bull then attacks the horse, so that the man on the horse can stab the bull to weaken it. After this, the men run at the bull, and put two things (I really can't think of the name right now, brain freeze) in it. This is done three times, and to me, is so daring. Anyways, finally, the matador comes out with the red cape and works the bull, each time, bringing it closer and closer past him. Finally, he kills it with one stab (hopefully)! Afterwards, horses come out and pull the bull away.
During the bullfight we went to, a couple of times, the guys had to jump over the wall, because the bull was chasing them. It gets very exciting. Also, one time, the horse the bull was attacking actually fell. So, with the bull still attacking the fallen horse, they had to try and get the man, who was on the horse, out from underneath. It was so scary to me. It's definitely a one of a kind experience to go to a bullfight. I do have a favorite thing about it, even though it's so gory, I love how confident the matadors can be. To turn your back on a raging bull, that takes guts. It's amazing.
In Madrid, even if you don't go to the bullfight, at least check out the Plaza de Toros de las Ventas, it's a really impressive place.

Santa Cruz del Valle de los Caidos

by Witinha

This monument has a beautiful underground church with 260 metres long, and a cross with 150 metres high. Franco is buried in this church.
The cross has splendid figures in its basis. You can go there and appreciate the sigth over the Guadarrama mountain.

Plenty of Souvenirs

by Enamorada about Souvenirs

The locals make this type of stores very special, their culture is so well represented that you got to buy. I found that souvenirs in general were a good buy, also items made of leather, e.g. shoes, jackets, purses, etc. The Euro has made it more expensive, so I will say quite a bit.

Funky Vibe, Music, Food, Top Mojitos, and more...

by mollymoo0oo0 about El Diablito

This place is funky and vibrant... in the heart of the Chueca zone, where there's a buzz all around. Set in a long bar/restaurant, surrounded by warm orange backlights interspersed with zebra print walls, this is a great spot for a good bite to eat/share (great-tasting pastas, salads, generous pizzas and fantastic desserts to be tried, tested and of course shared!!)... of course if you prefer to stick to the drinks, the cocktail menu is well recommended... sit back in the lounge sofas and low tables and listen to the tunes spinning out from the DJ of the night.

A great place for people watching, a nice opportunity for a seat and chat with some space which is rare in most bars in Madrid.

Nachos are to be avoided here, as they are quite disappointing value and you can find much better in the neighbouring mexican restaurants, a couple of streets away.

Food served until 02h00, copas (drinks) until 03h00

Copas: 6€
Cocteles: 8€

Free wi-fi connection is also available here. Be Yourself!!

Comments