Hostal Splendid

Hostal Splendid
Booking.com Priceline.com

• davidcross's Profile Photo

Fine situation - moderate prices

This is a basic hostal on the 5th floor of a large building on Gran Via a short distance from the Gran Via Metro station and not far from Banque de España.

The beds are comfortable and the staff are friendly. The showers are good. The towels are extremely coarse. I imagine the heating in winter is perfectly adequate.

Unique Quality: No particularly memorable qualities.

Directions: near the bottom of the Gran Via on the left looking up - next door to a joyeria (jeweller)

• vpeykov's Profile Photo

Cheap Hostal in Hearth of MAdrid

Very clean, have Satelite TV, Airconditioned and bathroom

The address is:
    Gran Via 15, 2nd floor
    Madrid 28013
    Phone (+34) 91 532 7388
    (+34) 91 531 0139

This hostal is located in a few meters of the Metro station 'Gran Via'

The price for one bed per night is EUR 25

Directions: Gran Via

More about Hostal Splendid

Fine situation - moderate prices

by davidcross about Hostal Splendid

I sould only recommend it if someone were taking their own towel - in spite of its ideal position. No particularly memorable qualities.

Madrid - at last

by davidcross

"Way back in history - -"

In the year 2000 I created a Madrid page with only this and some tips about the other pages mentioned.

'I have only spent one night and a morning in Madrid other than getting from the airport to Chamartin station and back.
Consequently this is mainly about Avila, Segovia and Toledo which are not named separately on VT and are all easily reachable from Madrid. Unlike the ones on Madrid itself, these usually have photos.

(Photo: the main object of my one morning in Madrid - not my photography - Picasso's Guernica)

NB Toledo unfinished'

It took until 2009 to get me actually staying in Madrid. i did not repeat my visit to the picture of Guernica in the Reina Sofia museum so I have left the photo from last time.

"2009 - Preparations"

My daughter had been married in March and Pam and I headed for a holiday in Wales a week later and very good it was. We had decided not to go abroad together this year. I was to go for a short time alone - but I had no intention of spending too much.

Searching the web I found a flight with Easyjet for less than £50 return to Madrid - end of search. I found the Hostal Splendid on the Gran Via at a reasonable price, booked 4 nights and that was that. I then started to research Madrid, both on the web and by asking friends and reading guidebooks from the library.

By now I have fixed on the notion of only going to museums if they are special to the place visited. This left quite a few but they obviously had to include the Prado and the Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza. I had wanted to see the Museo Archeologico for some time. That might have been enough but I am afraid I had never heard of Sorolla and the Museo Sorolla therefore made a fourth.

Then there were the Royal Palace, the Royal Theatre, the Temple de Debod, the Basilica de San Francisco el Grande, the Cathedral and the Ermita de San Antonio de Florida - to say nothing of the CaixaForum and the Open Air Sculpture Museum.

I allso wanted to get a picture of the centre of Madrid as a whole but I knew that I am not a city animal and I should want a day in the country. This can be found under Comunidad de Madrid. It left far too much for the time, I thought - so get there first and then decide.

"Resume"

I will do tips for some of the places I went. briefly these were:
The Templo de Debod, a "nd century BCE Egyptian temple donated by the Egyptian Government as a thankyou for Spain's help with the Aswan Dam.

The Cathedral, an impressive mixture of traditional Baroque with very modern architecture

The Basilica de San Francisco el Grande with the 4th largest dome in Europe

The Ermita de San Antonio de Florida where there is very bright painting by Goya - and his remains if you go for that sort of thing!

El Prado - I did as I ad been advised, made no attempt t see everything but marvelled at the Velasquez paintings and Goya's Black Paintings.

El Museo Thyssen Bornemisza - I wish I had done the same here - I tried to see too much.

El Museo Sorolla - immensly enjoyable visit to a museum in Sorolla's old house with furniture he had collected and porcelain as well as a wonderful display of his own paintings.

El Museo Archaeologico - expansion works mean only one large gallery is open at present.

El CaixaForum (sic) - a free cultural centre with an amazing vertical garden - see tip.

Open Air Sculpture Museum - not a museum in any recognisable sense but a free display of fine sculptures where one road crosses another on a viaduct.

I walked all round the outside of the Royal palace.

Cafeteria Cerveceria / Rias Altas 67Cafeteria Cerveceria / Rias Altas 67

Kim making friends with Don Quixote & Sancho PanzaKim making friends with Don Quixote & Sancho Panza

Charles III Statue in the Puerta del SolCharles III Statue in the Puerta del Sol

Atocha station (Madrid, España/Spain)Atocha station (Madrid, España/Spain)

Tips for Fare Predictions (and things to do) on Packages to Madrid?

Hola,

I am planning a week long vacation to Madrid, Spain for the first time. I plan to leave the first week of June and I'm still a novice at traveling. Does anyone have tips or websites that do fare prediction for international trips? I'm just trying to see if there's a smart, cheaper time to book a package. In the old days, the earlier was the better, but in more recent times, especially with the economy in flux, it seems like the more last minute, the better. I have my eye on a particular hotel that I don't want to risk filling up on me if I book a flight and hotel at the last minute.

So far, I have looked into Expedia, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, and another site.

Also, any general tips for must-sees will be appreciated. I'll be buying a DK Top 10 guidebook soon- I like those- but soliciting all tips will probably serve me well. I will be staying near Puerta del Sol.

Many thanks,
Sherell

by suvanki

Hi! I tend to look at Skyscanner for flights. Venere.com or Booking.com for accommodation.
As well as your guide book, I'd advise looking at VT pages on Madrid for an idea of things to see.
Sol is very central, and within easy reach of the main (and off the beaten track) attractions.
Regarding Must-see places, if you can give a bit more information about your interests, things you like to see and do, budget etc you'll probably receive some more helpful info.
Have a great trip!Madrid is a great city-I've been twice now, and still haven't seen as much as I'd like to.
Please feel free to contact me for more info.
Best Wishes,
Sue

by sfuller1

I should have been more specific re: things I'm interested in seeing. I'm not really trying to have the most expensive wine ever and go to spas, not that sort of expensive thing, more like a budget trip for someone who loves art museums, architecture, and drinking in the views over water at cafes. Strolling through towns and seeing great different views of nature and buildings is one of my biggest interests when site-seeing.

by sfuller1

I'll check these sites out, thanks so much for taking time to send this.

by dino335

Consider a day trip to Toledo, it's only an hour away. Definitely worth it if you have a week in Madrid. Much older city than Madrid, really medieval.

Travel Tips for Madrid

Grocery shopping

by nancyw

Be sure to check out the grocery department in the Corte de Ingles, near the Puerto de Sol. The store is a huge, upscale department store, but it was the full grocery store that blew me away.

Meats, cheeses, and olives every way you can imagine. Plus wonderful breads and pastries and incredibly cheap liquor. Johnny Walker Black for $13? Good sangria for $1? All the makings for a perfect picnic!

El Corte Ingles

by nkdnatl about Department Stores

Madrid, like most large European cities, is filled with many places to shop. From the myriad shoe stores in Chueca to El Rastro to El Corte Ingles (ECI)...there is something for everyone.

If you want to buy wonderful Spanish wine from Rioja, go to ECI. Cheap souvenirs? ECI. Expensive leather and furs? ECI. It's basically your answer to anything.

I also like the funky shops of the gay are around Plaza de Chueca. Like I mentioned before, there are lots of shoe stores (some cheap, some high end) but there are also interesting gift shops and clothing boutiques. And the people-watching is the best!

The bullfighting sports bar in...

by MarkLA

The bullfighting sports bar in the Plaza Mayor.
Even if the concept of bullfighting is not your cup of tea, take the cultural plunge and visit this great little bar to soak up the atmosphere (and a couple of vinos and raciones). Full matador attire is expected, but shorts and a T-shirt tolerated.

Comments