Hostal Stella

More about Madrid

Cathedral de la AlmudenaCathedral de la Almudena

Tourist CardTourist Card

Jazz SpotJazz Spot

El Rastro (Madrid, España/Spain)El Rastro (Madrid, EspaƱa/Spain)

Barcelona->madrid->andulucia(Sevilla)->Barcelona: Budget travel tips :)

Hi dear all,

I'm traveling with my 2 lady friends coming June (14days) to spain.
We will be landing at Barcelona, then travel to Madrid and Andulucia, then back to barcelona again for our return flight.

As this is the 1st time we are traveling to Spain, any recommendations on:

1) Good, clean, convenient budget hostels/apt/hotels

2) Places to visit in these 3 cities (each city we will stay around 4 days) nature/shopping/architectures- What are the must not miss places to go?

3)Is it convenient to travel by train to these 3 cities? How much will it roughly cost to book a train ticket from Barcelona->madrid->andulucia(Sevilla)->Barcelona. is there return train tickets available for within 14 days' travel?

4)I understand there's free entry to various museums/toursim sites..is there any website i can know which day/timing can we go in for free?(we are on a budget you see...)

Jess

by worldinabag

Hi Jess

I sent you an email with attached notes for Madrid. Hope this is of use. Cheers!

Mauro - Not fair.

Many others of us are also interested in new ideas! Please post your email here too.

This is essentially a bookmark since I will be making a similar trip in a few months.

by jesstea

Sorry! This is my first post...I didn't know where exactly to put this in.. so i thought put in all three =P

by jesstea

Thanks so much! :) This is our very first Europe free-and -easy trip...so all of us are trying our best to get it organised.

Pedro -
I suggested posting in all three forums. Once a post is off the front page only people interested in that particular place or city will see it to answer.

I also always post under both country and city and sometimes world too.

by unaS

Yes, well I do that too when I see more than one posting of the same question under different city/country headings :)

by Haggisdog

We are basicly doing the same trip starting May 18. I found it was cheaper to fly on Vueling from Madirid to Barcelona and Barcelona to Sevilla, than take Renfe trains (It is impossible to book the train by internet or telephone from North America with our credit cards) We found very reasonable Hostals or Hotels, Acapulo in Madrid, Continental in Barcelona and Alcantara in Sevilla. They are all recommended in several web sites and guide books.We are also flying Spanair Malaga to Madrid
Good Luck

Thanks Haggisdog.

Sorry to see that there are no tips or reports on your travel pages.
Will be looking forward to seeing some on your Spain trip, since I will be doing a similar trip in the Fall.

Thanks.

Travel Tips for Madrid

Great Architecture

by acemj

My first impression of Madrid was exiting the subway station at Sol, a main Metro stop and a center of shopping and transportation in the city (not shown in this picture). I emerged from the depths of the subway and was greeted by enormous stone buildings, full of carved details and ironwork embellishments. This was only the beginning. Madrid is full of architectural jewels, so enjoy your stay and don't forget to observe each building carefully and you'll be well rewarded.

BREATHALIZER

by parsix

Recently many countries have become aware of the dangers of drink and driving, and binge drinking. More and more countries are following the EEUU in enforcing laws againts this trend.

We had a game: the first that activated the breathalizer had to pay the cab home. Fair enough.

Holy Toledo!

by jamiesno

Off the beaten path is a relative term I guess. I explored all of Andalucia and part of Morocco during my visit to this area which is all south of Madrid.

But probably a good day trip from Madrid would be fore you to visit Toledo. It's a very gothic looking place with a tonne of history and its just 71 km from Madrid.

My Toledo Page

My Fuengirola Page

crowded market El Rastro

by dila about El Rastro

SUNDAY
this is a very big market. going up in two big streets and several other street around.
all kind of things you can buy here like on a normal market clothes, shoes.
but also second hand, or collector stuff.

Many options for Discos in Madrid

by jm34bee about Discos

If you want to hang out with tourists and other travelers you should probably go out in the Sol, Plaza Santa Ana, Huertas area. There are lots of Irish pubs and smaller Discos and one big one called Palacio Gaviria. In this area I also like Sol y Sombra and Torero which are smaller discos that stay open late.

If you prefer a little nicer atmosphere where they strictly enforce a dress code (no sneakers and a collared shirt) there area places all over Madrid and would usually require a taxi ride to get there. A few of my favorite places are Gabana, 69 Petalos, Pacha, Bisu.... They usually charge a cover of 10 to 15 Euros and drinks are normally around 10 Euros. Around the Sol area, dress code is not enforced very often but if you venture out to the places I mentioned they will almost never allow anyone in with sneakers or any form of athletic shoe or without a collared shirt. I have seen so many people turned away for this. ;)

Comments