Calle Principe 18, Madrid, 28012, Spain

Hotelsclick.com Hostelworld.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Poor

• backpackerbaby's Profile Photo

Cheap Double Rooms

It's unbelievable to find that staying in a dorm bed in a youth hostel can be that pricy in Madrid. After reading several guidebooks and doing some internet research, I found that Hostal Villar offered the cheapest double rooms near the Sol.

33 Euros per double room per night (shared bathrooms, no breakfast), wherelse you can find such a deal? There were actually 3 beds in our room, a desk & a chair, a wardrobe, a bedside table, a sink & a mirror and a window, though surrounded by other windows.

Hostal Villar is located inside a building, shared by other hostals/residents. The main entrance is on 1/F and we stayed on the top floor, i.e. 4/F. We had to enter and exit through the main entrance on 1/F, that meant we had to walk up/downstairs inside the hostal. I didn't mind the walking but the floor was so thin that no matter how light your steps were, you wouldn't avoid creating some noise.

Our neighbour was a couple from China and their friends were scattered in different rooms on the same floor. Due to the unbelievable small thickness of the walls and the floor, I could hear every word they said in their room, no need to mention about their laughters. It's also quite unbearable to hear the steps of the people on the corridor at late night. I totally couldn't sleep the first night and suffered a serious headache the following day (I made a serious mistake of forgetting to bring alone my earplugs.... anyway, that's too late.)...

I'm used to stay in hostels and bear some noise at night but the noise due to thin floors was really too much this time...

Anyway, considering the price and its great location, it's an ok place to stay at but remember to bring along your earplugs.

Unique Quality: ~
    Pros:
    1. Great location, a few minutes to Sevilla Metro Station; also very close to the Sol.
    2. Cheap double-rooms (shared bathrooms).
    3. English speaking staff.
    4. The room was tidied up daily (though not very necessary for me).
    5. A very retro elevator in the building.

Cons:
    1. Super thin walls and floors --> noise from neighbour.
    2. The window was too close to the window of the opposite wall.
    3. The shared bathrooms were a bit messy at night, e.g. there were always no refill of toilet paper.
    4. No non-smoking policies inside the room, my room was so smelly when I checked in.

More about Hostal Villar

Hostal Villar, Madrid 2001Hostal Villar, Madrid 2001

Hostal Villar in Madrid

by HORSCHECK

Hiya,

has anyone stayed in Hostal Villar in Madrid? Any experiences might be helpful for me.

It is located at C Principe 18 which seem to be a very centrally location.

Is that a noisy area?

Thanks for your help
HORSCHECK :-)

by Gili_S

What happened, too much noise in the big city for the country boy?
Have few more drinks and you wouldn’t hear the noise my friend. :)))

by agarcia

Hey Holger!

This hostel is indeed in a very centric and lively location, but I don’t think it will be particularly noisy, except during weekend nights ;-) Anyway, you don’t come to Madrid looking for rest, do you? ;-)

Regards
Alfredo

PS: Here’s a map of the area;

Hope you’ll find it useful!

Re: Re: Hostal Villar in Madrid

by HORSCHECK

FOR ALFREDO:

of course I am not coming to Madrid for rest .... :-) Anyway I´don´t like to sleep in the noisiest place in Madrid ... :-)))

And VT is just brilliant to check the places in advance. I think Hostal Villar seems to be okay. I have a few other options, but I will deceide next week which Hostal I will reserve.

Thanks for your help

P.S. Sir Richard and me are organising a VT meeting in Madrid on may 9th (see Madrid forum). Perhaps you like to join us.

[FOR GIL]

Hiya Gil, Madrid is definetly a bit noisier than Helsinki ... :-))))

HORSCHECK :-)

by jacek3

Hello,
Since I'm planing to come by my own carI'd like to know sth. about driving there in Madrid.
What about parking place?
Is there any public parking close to Hostal? How much does it cost per day?

rgds,
jacek

Re: Re: Hostal Villar in Madrid

by IngaA

" Hiya Gil, Madrid is definetly a bit noisier than Helsinki ... :-))))"

A bit?.. it will be MUCH noisier when u'll be there
LOL

by joseallday

I staued at Hostal Villar it ran about 20euro a night it was some what ok. Nothing to brag about . But they were nice folks

Comments