Calle del Carmen 4, Madrid, 28013, Spain

Booking.com Priceline.com Otel.com

• keeweechic's Profile Photo

Hostel Europa

The hotel is in a building Which dates back to 1860. It did not become a hotel until 1917. The building has the Notoriety for being the birth place of John Gray - a Cubist painter, also known as Jose Vitoriano.

There are 99 rooms with cable TV, hair dryer, internet access, safe (fee) and bathroom. The windows have double pane so it should be less noisy.

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo

A real charmer

This is a real gem in my book. The interior of the hotel is really plush and beautiful as you can see in the photo. The room size was quite adequate and immaculately clean, nice clean bathroom and a fantastic location right off the Puerta del Sol. The staff is most accomodating and most speak English which is a great help to the linguistically deficient like me.

• cwest03's Profile Photo

Old World Charm In the Middle Of Madrid

This 70 room hotel is located in the heart of Madrid just off of the Puerta del Sol sq. The hotel is in the pedestrian section and is surrounded by shopping and restaurants. Rooms are average sized and have that old world charm about them. You'll get that old world feel from the decor in the hallways as well. Our room faced inward to the courtyard so it was nice and quiet. The only thing to note about this hotel is that there is no air conditioning so if you're visiting in the summer you should keep this in mind as it tends to get a bit hot. A fan is provided to help blow around the hot air. There is a heater in the room for the cold winter months.

The hotel has no parking so if you've come by car you'll have to leave your car in one of the many local lots which seem to be fairly safe. This will cost you about €12-€16 a day depending on which lot you end up in. Also note that you can't drive up to the hotel since it is in the pedestrian area.

The staff is friendly and they have a restaurant attached which is supposed to be pretty good although most of the restaurants in the pedestrian area seem to be a bit overpriced.

• Brian_Aubol's Profile Photo

Europa Hotel

Unique Quality: Charming old hotel... nothing special but it's in the center of town and is very safe.
    8200 Pesetas + 7% per night

521 46 96 Fax

More about Hotel Europa

Hotel Europa - Madrid

by ToroBravo about Hotel Europa

Right in Puerta del Sol - great value for the location. Rooms are about 60-100 euros per night. There is no A/C (they do provide a fan) and there is some late night noise - which is expected b/c it is in Puerta del Sol. Staff was great. We had a room with a balcony overlooking Puerta del Sol for about 70 euros/night.

Independent Hotel in Ideal Location

by deecat about Hotel Europa

In Madrid, we stayed at the Hotel Europa just off Puerta del Sol square. This is good location because its in a pedestrian street (no cars allowed) inside of the cultural, artistic, commercial, & entertainment areas.

The hotel's location affords an easy visit to the Prado Museum, Royal Palace, Mayor Square & other smaller museums.

The hotel has 70 rooms with private baths. Also in the room: hair dryers, radio-TV with international channels, direct phone, and safety box (a rental). There is a bar, cafeteria, laundry, fax, car rental desk, and parking. Again, Location is most important. We walked everywhere. It was a clean hotel with Spanish furnishings and an intimate atmosphere. The service was good also.

Construction Begins at 8am

by TripAdvisor Member NewYorker05

The Hotel Europa is located half a block off of the Plaza del Sol, but beware: As of July 2006, both the hotel and the Plaza del Sol are undergoing renovation. The hotel’s construction is in the lobby and center atrium, generally starting at 8am in the mornings, and loud enough to be disruptive to rooms with views of the interior. Our room and bathroom were small, but nice and clean. Our window had a dissapointing view directly into other guests rooms with little natural light.
Beware: The Hotel is difficult to access via taxi.
Air Conditioning, in room safe

I'd Look Elswhere

Just returned with my son from Spain and Portugal and had a stay in Hotel Europa in Madrid. I was shocked when we entered the bomb-blasted lobby. I can't see any excuse for such a shabby appearance because they're remodeling! The room itself was fine, but as another reviewer said the hotel cafe is shut down for remodeling. In addition, construction noise is ongoing during the day in the hotel as a result. Puerta Del Sol has been removed and replaced with construction barrier. Heavy machinery runs into the night, so if you are a light sleeper, forget about rest. I think it's pretty poor of an establishment not to inform--on its web page--about the remodeling in the hotel instead of "surprising" them on arrival. I wouldn't stay there again.

location , location, location!

by TripAdvisor Member VVB

Great hotel, great location, modern room and bathroom, no complaints. My husband, daughter and I stayed at the Hotel Europa for 2 nights the end of September and it was a wonderful experience. Yes, the puerta del Sol is under construction and the hotel lobby is being renovated (construction in the hotel will be done by the end of 2006), but our room was wonderful, we had one double bed and 2 twin beds.
The staff was helpful and booked a wonderful tour to Toledo for us. (Dont miss this half day tour of Toledo, it is excellent, leaves at 3pm and returns at 8pm).
We walked to the Prado Museum , ate at neighboring Restaurants which were very , very good. Shop at the Corte Ingles department store and buy your water and groceries in their basement supermarket.
All in all, a very good hotel in an excellent location. I would definetely stay there again when in Madrid.

Great Room and Location for Low Price

by TripAdvisor Member JerryMadison

My brother, sister and I have just returned from 2 weeks in Spain. Our last 3 nights were spent at the Hotel Europa. I found it to be a great value. The hotel lobby is under construction but this was not a problem to us at all. We could not hear any noise
from our room. We asked for a room with 3 beds and the room had 3 actual beds...not a cot for the 3rd bed. I reserved a room directly with the hotel. The beds and pillows were the best of any of the 5 hotels we stayed in during our trip. It did have an in room safe that cost 2 euros per day extra. The room and bathroom were large. The room termperature was good and able to be controlled by the termastat. The location was fantastic. The hotel is just steps from the Puerta del Sol plaza, the SOL subway station that has direct access to 3 lines, centrally located between the Place and the Prado (15-20 min walk), and steps away from shopping and restaurants. Right outside next to the building the Europa Restaurant has chairs and tables which are great for people watching. Simply the best location one could ask for. If you don't stay at this hotel you should still consider staying near the Plaza del Sol. The hotel staff were very helpful. At all times the desk seemed to have a staff person that understood and spoke english. They were able to answer all questions we had that were unable to get answered previously during our stay in Spain because of language barriers. I've read the other reviews that expressed disappointment in the hotel because of construction noise and temperature problems. All I can say is we didn't experience any of those or any problems at all. I would say the hotel does have difficult access to the front door by car. The hotel is in a pedestrian zone. We parked our car at an underground lot about 3 blocks away. I would not recommend driving to the hotel. We returned our car to the Atocha train station a few days before we left the city and saved money on car rental and parking. The hotel staff did reserve an Airport Shuttle for us which worked out great. It was $19 for the 3 of us.

Outside of Hotel Europa from BrochureOutside of Hotel Europa from Brochure

Hotel Europa?

by rmtravel

Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Europe? I will only be in Madrid for one night- and I heard this hotel is in a good location- walking distance to good areas? Also, is it in walking distance to the Prado Museum. Also, how far is it from the airport? Any info would be helpful. Thank you!

RE: Hotel Europa?

by rexvaughan

We stayed at the Hotel Europa and loved everything about it. I am not sure if it is in walking distance to the Prado but it is a very easy metro ride between the two. It is in the center of the city so not near the airport but is again pretty easy by public transportation. The website for Hotel Europa is:

I am sure others will provide more info but I would be happy to as well if you e-mail me. I have not yet built my Spain pages.

RE: RE: Hotel Europa?

by rmtravel

Thanks for the info. Just one more question. I will be driving and they said that there was a parking lot nearby, do you remember seeing one? And you said there were some good restaurants within walking distance? Thank you.

RE: RE: Hotel Europa?

by Lorro

Europa is i think the most centrally located hotel possible. Its right in Puerta del Sol, right outside the metro. So the location is ideal for exploring central madrid. You can walk everywhere in the historic center from there. Prado is probably a kilometer or so away, so not too far for a nice stroll. From airport its easy, either a taxi which would be about 15, 20 minutes or Metro, around 50 min since you have to change trains a couple times. have fun!

Comments