Plaza San Martin 5, Madrid, Madrid, 28013, Spain

Expedia.com Hotels.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo

Hotel Intur Palacio San Martin

I have stayed at this hotel 3 times total, at the beginning and end of my first trip and at the end of my second trip the following year. Only the very first night, which i spent in a single room, was less than outstanding.

Reception in all cases was very professional and nice. There was never a problem with my reservations and check in/check out was without exception very efficient and friendly. They gave out a good map and helpful directions. The doorman has discount tickets for restaurants and nightlife.

The single room was on the top floor in the corner of the building and a bit noisy (from machinery, as i remember) The bathroom was very nice and the bed comfortable enough. No windows in that room. I was leaving on the early train the following morning so it didn't make much of a difference.

The double room, where I spent three nights at the end of my trip, was very nice, overlooking the central courtyard. Very comfortable and clean. Tiny little old style elevator. Decor was classic

The hotel is very nice and quiet and the staff looks after the comfort of its guests very well. The breakfast room was upstairs at the time of my visit. hotel was very nice about letting me eat a bit early since i had to catch an early train. Buffet was generous and tasty, no complaints at all.

Overall this hotel deserves the high rating it gets in the reviews I have seen. The room was very comfortable, everything worked perfectly. Staff was excellent with a high level of customer service. Though I would not consider this hotel a "luxury" hotel, it is of very high quality. Would gladly stay here again.

photos courtesy of the hotel website. I can see from the photos I have seen of the hotel that the exterior is now considerably more attractive than it was at the time of my visit. The photos on the website are accurate and reliable.

Unique Quality: location- Location is exceptional, on a quiet square close to everything, literally. The hotel states its address as Plaza San Martin, but if you mention Plaza Descalzas then locals and taxi drivers will know right away what you are talking about. With all the tiny little sidestreets, none of which seem to be labelled, it was easy to get lost and so having the name of the other plaza handy was a big help.

the hotel is near the puerta del Sol and Plaza Mayor. There are lots of restaurants and shops in the area as well as plenty of sights within walking distance.

At the time of my visit the train from the airport involved several changes, not all of which had escalators/elevators. not the preferred way to go in my opinion. The hotel can call an airport shuttle which was fairly reasonable. Ask the concierge.

More about Hotel Intur Palacio San Martin

Palacio San Martin-Affordable and Luxurious

by TripAdvisor Member gobob

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel Intur Palacio San Martin for one night in February 2005. We got a rate of 103 Euro on Orbitz, and were given a junior suite on the 6th floor upon arrival. The room was huge by European or American standards, with a balcony overlooking Plaza San Martin -a quiet square near the Opera, Puerta del Sol, Gran Via and Plaza Mayor. The bed was king size and very comfortable. The room also had a sitting area with a nice sofa. The bathroom was gorgeous with marble, a sauna, and an electronic shower. The hotel itself was "old school" palatial, with an old-fashioned cage elevator as well as a modern version, and a beautiful atrium lobby with grand wooden doors. The staff was very accomodating, and spoke very extensive English (though were appreciative that we tried using our high school level Spanish first). The hotel is near the three-line Sol metro station, and the two other lines at the Opera station -which made a 7:30 am ride on a Sunday morning to the airport very easy (less than 40 mins.). All in all, we were dazzled by the low rate and the gorgeous, spacious room that we were given, along with the view and the superior service. We also stayed at the Best Western Hotel Atlantico on this trip, which is a few blocks away and was also a great hotel, but this hotel is the cream of the crop. I would definitely stay here again.

Best location in Madrid

We just stayed at the Intur Palacio San Martin for a week, and can't say enough good things about the hotel. It has the best location in the city: within a few minutes walk of Puerta de Sol, Plaza Mayor, Gran Via. But the best thing about Intur Palacio is it's QUIET. It's on a small plaza and faces a convent. The staff was incredibly helpful and spoke English. The breakfast buffet was great, but possibly a little over-priced. We will definitely stay there on any future trips to Madrid.

A very nice hotel

We visited Spain in April of this year. Our first five days were spent in Madrid at the Intur Palacio San Martin. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this hotel. The location is unbeatable, close to Puerta del Sol and Opera, and QUIET. Our room was comfortable and the staff was very helpful. We didn't experience any of the problems noted in earlier reviews (street people, etc.). We will gladly stay at the Intur Palacio again.

Highly Recommend!

My partner and I arrived at the Intur Palacio San Martin on February 26, 2005 for an eight night stay. Our room was on the third floor and faced a pedestrian side street and the monastery of the barefoot sisters. We had a wonderful step-out balcony accessed through double French doors that let in a lot of sun. The room was spotless, tastefully decorated, had very high ceilings, and was quiet, with the exception of a street musician who would play various instruments down on the street three floors below. I especially liked his rendition of the Ava Maria. The monastery bell did ring each day, but it was more of a "clanking" and didn't last long. I found it charming.

PROS: Beautiful hotel with authentic touches and friendly/helpful staff located on a quiet square. GREAT location for everything -- museums, shopping, subway, restaurants, etc. The royal palace is just three minutes away on foot. GREAT water pressure with plenty of hot water and a huge tub -- if you want a bath. Bidet. Cool cage-type elevator (and a modern one, as well). Really a bargain for the quality and location.

CONS: Hard mattress and very thin foam pillows. I would have expected a down comforter and feather pillows in a 4-star hotel -- or at least a more comfortable mattress. Small closet with only five hangers -- not really enough space to store clothes for an eight night stay. No iron and ironing board.

On my next visit to Madrid -- and there will be many, as this is a wonderful city -- I will be staying at the Palacio San Martin…but will probably bring my own pillow.

Peace and quiet in the city

We took a three night break between Christmas and New Year in Dec. 2004. We were given a room overlooking the inner courtyard and found this to be exceptionally quiet and peaceful. This is due to the hotels' location which is pedestrianised and looks onto a square. The room was an average size , but very clean with excellent facilities. The reception staff were extremely helpful and so we were able to find excellent though inexpensive cafes and bars to eat out . These are situated within walking distance of the hotel. There is a marvellous Chocolateria for breakfast just round the corner! The major shopping stores of Madrid are also very close by. The museums and galleries can be visited on foot. A day trip to Toledo is very worthwhile. This is a wonderful walled town which was centre to three religions many years ago. I can also recommend a Flamenco show. All in all, a very good city break.

Nice hotel in a great area

by TripAdvisor Member louropa

We (my wife and I) stayed here for one night in April. The hotel was very nice and the staff were all very helpful and friendly. The area is exellent and within short walking distance of everything we wanted to do that day. Our room was small and it was facing the inner courtyard. Unfortunately, it was also within the covered part of the inner courtyard, so although we had windows, they didn't open to the outside. They opened to the lobby of the hotel. Also, there was a funky smell near the elevator and stairs on the ground floor that smelled a lot like sewage.
I can see how many people LOVE this hotel, but unfortunately I did not. I thought it was excellent, just not my favorite. We also stayed at the Best Western Hotel Arosa on this trip for less money, and I thought that was a better hotel.
Also, our night was ruined by a family who allowed their small children (around 5 years old) to run rampant through the halls at night. Around 1 am, they were screaming as they ran around the halls, jumping up and down on the hall couches. Luckily another couple complained before we did, ending the noise, but only after 45 minutes or so.
Overall a great place to stay, but not my favorite in the city.

Worst travel experience.Trully bad

We have staid in this hotel during the Easter break 2005.The hotel tries to position itself as a luxury and affordable. The room rates are average for any Madrid properties, and the facilities the hotel considers as `luxury` are very basic stale bathroom, telephone line and satellite TV with freely accessible adult-only channels that are not blocked for not paying guests, and provide quite shocking viewing experience while you try to locate only 1 news channel avaiable(BBC),which is actually the only English-language TV channel as well. The rooms are very small and dark, facing the concrete walls with drafts coming through the windows. The breakfast is cold and basic, the hotel front desk staff speaks hardly any English and very unhelpful. We work in the tourist industry and have staid in many hotels worldwide, but have never experienced such bad staff attitude and such basic overpriced service and facilities standards before.
The only asset of the hotel is its location in Madrid city centre. The asset shared by many finer properties which offer truly luxury at much affordable prices. Overall, it was our worst ever travel experience.

Great staff. Decent hotel.

by TripAdvisor Member jwall

We only stayed one night, before our flight back home departed early in the morning. We decided to try a different hotel on our way back through Madrid (we stayed at HH Campomanes the first time).

It is a decent hotel in a good location near the Palacio Real. The price was a bit expensive considering the rooms and that it did not include breakfast.

The concierge was great and very helpful on multiple occasions.

PROS: location. free in room safe. nice shower.

CONS: We had a ground level room with a small window near the ceiling that seemed to open into an alley. The beds are a bit on the hard side. The previously mentioned "sneak peeks" at the adult video channels as you are surfing through the normal channels was a bit shocking at first and then annoying. Price.

Not a bad hotel. But I would recommend HH Campomanes (which is located very near to this hotel) first, unless you want a more traditional decor, which this hotel has.

not 4 star

Not a 4 start hotel, good location but staff do not really aim to please or serve their customers, who actually keep them in a job. If I were the boss of this hotel I would be very concerned, but maybe the attitude of the bosses are reflected in the staff!! The people who did the room did not bother to refill the mini bar, wasted opportunity for the hotel to make some cash, we were looking for some water to drink during night to discover they had not bothered to refil the fridge!. Breakfast was an absolute shambles on the Saturday, 2 staff were unable to cope with number of guests, which they must have known were there. People had to keep asking for the missing food and juice etc. The 2 waitresses tried really hard but just could not keep up with replacing the food and clearing the tables. In the bar, at around 11pm, the waiter just did not care, we waited around 15 minutes before he even came to ask us what we wanted to drink, there was only one other party of around 5 girls in the bar. He only came when I asked the bellman if anyone was serving at the bar, he was messing around on the phone, he had not even cleared a lot of tables. they were still full of empty glasses. The guy was just not interested and let the hotel down very badly. Does not deserve to remain in employment there. The bellman was good, as were the waitresses in the breakfast room, although they could not cope, they tried their best, but should have called for help. Nice location, would probably go back but hope the staff get their acts together and remember why they are actually employed

Quiet accomodation in Madrid

by Emke

Hi,

I'm looking for a quiet accomodation in Madrid. The price may be up to 60 euros a night. I read that Madrid never sleeps and that it can be very noisy. What are the quiet parts of town and who can recommend me a nice quiet hostal?

Thanks in advance!

Emke

Re: Quiet accomodation in Madrid

by chopchi

These questions are so hard to answer! I know of two that are very quiet but in different parts of Madrid.
Hostal Bianco II,C/Echegaray 5 is very clean and quiet and CHEAP-you can get a single for 32-38 Euros or a double for 41-47 Euro depending on what time of year you are visiting . My favorite restaurant is a couple of doors down La Caserola-no tourists there and the best menu del dia and charming! The street leads into Plaza Santa Ana if you want some fun places to vist!
The second one is a little more(63 Euro) but once again only locals seem to stay there.It is very clean and qiet and in the Serrano distirict very safe/upscale area-about 5 minutes from the Plaza de Colon.It's Hostal Don Diego,C/Velazquez 45 The Hostal occupies the top two floors and in the rest of the building are private apts.
They both have websites w/all info
Good luck!

Re: Quiet accomodation in Madrid

by sjane

We stayed in the Hostal Cruz Sol in August 2002. It was really nice. Clean, great location (on a quiet squre beside Plaza Mayor). I don't know what their prices are now but it was a great bargain considering how nice it was (don't judge it by the outside!), air-con, new bathroom etc. phone number 34 91 532 71 97.
s-j

by PaulEtherington

I've just returned froma trip to Spain and spent 3 days in early August at the Palacio San Martin Hotel - great location, just two minutes from the Gran Via, yet extremely quiet. I'd highly recommend it for location and value.
Pleasant and helpful staff, good faciltiies, and only 50 Euros a night using the bancotel scheme. This doesn't include meals, but breakfast for 2 - 3 Euros in nearby cafes is easy.

by adam19

hi

there are 2 holiday inns in madrid, one in central madrid for 80 euros another on the outskirts of madrid for 35 euros a night..a good 15 min drive from the center of madrid but great cheap clean good ac hotel to stay in!

by Maurizioago

Hotel Asturias. Calle de Sevilla.

See my Madrid page for oteher info about this hotel.

Comments