Hotel Meninas

Booking.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• DanielF's Profile Photo

Near the Opera

Named after Velazquez' most famous painting, the hotel is located in a 19th-century apartment building, redecorated in a minimalistic if homey style, although some original elements, like the wooden floors and the domed cellar where breakfast is served, have been preserved.

Campomanes Street is filled with hip boutique hotels and restaurants and gets busy on weekends. I have heard the hotel has been soundproofed, but my room was not during my stay and it did get loud.

Unique Quality: The hotel is a bobo chic option to stay in the very heart of Madrid, within walking distance from the Plaza Mayor, Royal Palace and all the major sights in Madrid's Old Town. The Opera and Santo Domingo Metro Stations will give you easy access to the extensive underground network of the city.

Directions: Hotel Meninas is on Calle Campomanes, a steep street which leads from the Opera Theater to Santo Domingo Square.

More about Hotel Meninas

Hotel Meninas is a gem of a hotel

by TripAdvisor Member jollygk

After booking this gorgeous looking boutique hotel on line, I was worried it would not live up to the image presented. I also read a few bad reviews on line about Madrid and this hotel after booking it.

It was such a relief when I checked in. The hotel is exactly as it appears on the website. It is beautifully designed, very clean and in an amazing location. It is very close to the metro which is helpful if you need to travel around Madrid easily.

I booked a single room. It was very small but well appointed and clean. If you are the type that likes to spend more of your vacation in your hotel room, then this is not the place for you because of the size!

I had read the hotel had noise problems. My room was facing the inner courtyard and was extremely quiet. You can hear faint noises from the corridor, but nothing like other reviewers had mentioned. I'm not sure, but the street side rooms maybe a different story. If you are sensitive to noise (as I am) ask for a room facing the courtyard.

We were told breakfast was included in our package. However, on checkout I was charged at 13 Euros a day for the breakfast. It was a good buffet breakfast but not worth the 13 Euros.

The front desk staff do not speak very good English, and gave us quite a lot of incorrect information. They were pleasant, but not overly friendly, which seemed to be the case with all 3 of the hotels I stayed in on my trip to Spain.

I would highly recommend this hotel for value and quality. The price was amazing for the facility, and the location was exceptional.

Great value-super location, terrific breakfasts.

by TripAdvisor Member teessider39

Stayed in this hotel with party of ten mature students of Spanish. The staff were very helpful and more than willing to help us with the language etc. There were three in our room so I had a sofa bed which was fine apart from the fact there was not any privacy from the bedroom and whever the other two used the toilet i was woken by the lights going on. The room was very clean, the bathrooms were cleaned every day and fresh towels and toiletries were daily. We had towelling bathrobes provided, we had a bath and a shower over the bath. The bathroom itself was very modern and plenty of hot water. The breakfastswere absolutely excelent, with plenty of choices to suit all tastes. The hotel is very convienient for shops, metro, tapas bars and cafes. We had an excelent meal in the resturant next door to the hotel. Going to the station in Madrid was great with palm trees and a large water feature containing hundreds of terrapins-well worth seeing. A short ride on the train took us to Toledo, this was fantastic, with a beautiful cathedral and quaint winding cobbled old streets, each one packed with tiny shops and cafes. A big square where you can sit outside in the sun and drink coffee or vino. and just watch the people passing by. In Madrid taking the open top bus was well worth the money, but there is so much to see in Madrid that being there for only five days we did not have enough time to see as much as I would like. Would recommend seeing the palace and the museums try the tapas bars, the people in Madrid were warm and very friendly. Do take care on the metro however because like all big cities there are the usual pick-pockets. I have visited Barcelona a few times and liked it BUT I absolutely loved Madrid and cant wait to return and definately I will stay in the Hotel Meninas.

Meninas in Madrid- Marvelous!

by TripAdvisor Member joycewt

The Meninas is located in the Opera district of Madrid - which provides an exceptional hotel base in the city center. The Metro stop is a short block away! This boutique hotel is clean, comfortable and affordable in a city in which similar accommodations are very costly. The value is exceptional. The buffet breakfast which was included in our room rates was delicious and plentiful. We had two rooms, one a suite on floor three and one a twin double, located on the fourth floor. Both rooms faced the street. While extremely well appointed, the street noises late at night was very loud. If you are a light sleeper, request a rear facing room. Those are very quiet. If in front, wear heavy duty ear plugs. They worked like a charm for me! The marble bathrooms were large, luxurious and immaculate. The suite had a separate sitting room with a twin day bed, perfect had we needed to sleep a third guest. I would suggest this as a great venue for families with older children and friends/family traveling together.
The Meninas Hotel does not have a bellman and is not great for those traveling with disabilities. There is elevator service once inside the hotel. In addition, the front desk was very helpful with dining reservations and directions.
I would stay at the Meninas again gladly.
**I would hope at some point that management would upgrade the single glazed french doors to double glazed doors to help alleviate the sound issues coming in from the street. Other than the noise, all was great.

Fantastic hotel - great location

by TripAdvisor Member adamandkaty

This is a really great hotel, just next to Opera in Madrid and close to the Royal Palace. Madrid being a reasonably small city, it was a great base to get out into La Latina and other great areas to soak up the nightlife and general culture of the city

Rooms were clean and tidy with really comfortable beds and really good sized rooms and en-suite. Apparently they have other rooms and suites that can be booked as well but we just had a double room

Staff were fantatsic although little surreal to hear Capital FM (from London) playing in the lobby (and depressing when we heard the weather forecast for London and it was 35 degrees in Madrid!!)

Hotel is slightly quirky with individual symbols painted on the doors, motion sensor lights in all the corridors and a paintings on the inner atrium - wooden floorboards on the stairs made it look like an alpine hunting lodge

Amazing buffet breakfast was included in the proce of the room - left us happy to snack on tapas for the rest of the day

We paid less than € 100 per night for this experience and it was worth every penny

Websites are so deceptive

by TripAdvisor Member Taia63

The website images make the rooms look far bigger than they are.. the bed we had was only a small double, and the width of the room just bigger than that. It was WAY too small. Also, even though we had a 'quiet' room at the back, the rumbling of what I assumed was the Metro never stopped.. the corridors etc are all noisy, and everything in the non-smoking room smells of smoke..

Deceived by a slick website.

Great service, amenities and location

by TripAdvisor Member JArthur472

We stayed 4 nights-wth 4th night free- quiet street just off Opera and Palace. Great mix of old architectural elements and beautiful modern design. Very helpful with DVD which needed replacing, and restaurant reservations. To top it off, I left my I Pod in the room and they Fed Ex'd it to the USA. I'd recommend this hotel to anyone and certainly plan to return.

Small, smart and practical

by TripAdvisor Member paulbru

Meninas is a small boutique-style hotel built into an old building in a small street in one of the old quarters of Madrid. It is deliberately modern in style without going over the top. It is well-designed to fit everything into a small, compact space. It has a great location for Opera, Puerta del Sol and 3 metro stations - all within 3-5 minutes' walk. The street is narrow and one-way, so there is little traffic. The bedrooms are small but a good proportion is set aside for the shower/toilet so that it is comfortable. Beware of the single rooms as they are like ships' cabins (mine was changed without any question). Staff are young and friendly and check you in and out with minimum fuss. There is a nice lounge area with free internet (but only one terminal). Overall, this is well-located, smart, clean, efficient and well-priced.

Great location and value

by TripAdvisor Member beechmk

Las Meninas was $170/night for a junior suite (including tax and breakfast) on its own web site. The hotel is in a great neighborhood half a block to the Opera Real (and the Opera Metro stop) the Palacio Real and the Senado. The area is mostly upscale apartments with many good restaurants. Easy walk to Plaza del Sol, the Paseo Prado and museums. The front desk staff was very helpful with information and directions. The breakfast was quite good. The room was comfortable and well-decorated. The only negative is that the street is cleaned or the garbage collected in the street very early every morning with an ungodly racket, something the hotel can't help.

Great location

by TripAdvisor Member brrrrrett

Ideally situated just opposite the Opera, Meninas is ideal for exploring the city by foot or by Metro. There are a lot of building works going on in Opera at the moment so the area isn't at its most presentable but still pleasant enough, tucked down a quite side street lined with smart apartments and an excellent book shop.

On the downside, the room I had was very small and faced into an internal space so not brilliant. My colleague managed a double room overlooking the street with a balcony. Perhaps I should complain more... The sounds from the Metro rattling by underneath the hotel could cause some discomfort but I get the general impression that people don't come to Madrid to sleep. It's more of a staying out late kind of place, developing the sort of tiredness that means you could sleep through anything!

Bars, shops and metro stations are only a couple of minutes away and the Royal Palace is just round the corner. The hotel bar / cafe/ lounge didn't appear and I don't understand why no hotel in Madrid seems to think a decent inclusive breakfast is something people might want. But overall, good value, funky decor, helpful staff and a brilliant location.

Best way to go from Barajas to city center eg. Hotel Meninas on Campomanes 7

by Deedee99

In September my mother and me will be arriving at barajas and would like to go to Hotel meninas on Campomanes 7 in city center. We need some help. I was looking at the metro map but we need to change 1 or 2 times I think. I don't know what the metro stations are like but if there are tousand steps it is not an option, my mother is "senior". I asume that taxi is exspensive, so do you have some sugestions, we will be cariing some laugage too.

Thanks for suggestion, Sabina

Re: Best way to go from Barajas to city center eg. Hotel Meninas on Campomanes 7

by IanMacPhail

It may be worth investigating the cost of using a shuttle bus to your hotel. It may be five years since I last visited Madrid but I used a shuttle bus then. It was very good both ways and not too expensive.

by Roadquill

You also may want to consider taking the metro to Nuevos Ministerios, and then hiring a taxi. That way you avoid the charge for the long ride from the airport. There are escalators to take you down to the metro at Barajas and I also believe there are escalator to take you to street level at Nuevos Ministerios. I found the taxi fares for short trips in Madrid to be very reasonable. Karl

Comments