Inter-Continental Madrid

InterContinental Booking.com Expedia.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 28% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• gwened's Profile Photo

the grand hotel intercontinental castellana

A magnificent hotel of the Intercontinental saga, on the wonderfully chic paseo de la castellana . I have stayed here with the family and it always bring memories as usually I go here on business.

you have all the comfort of a class hotel, and the deco is belle epoque to modern, the breakfast is sublime in the basement. parking is 31€ now.per day.

the site tells all better than I; Intercontinental class. A bit of history
    In the 18th century, the property was purchased by Marqués de Mérito and he had the palace reconstructed as a spectacular palatial estate. Implementing his ideas, D. Luis Feluchi decided at the end of the 1940s to keep and maintain the chimney and fireplace in the meeting room, TOLEDO, which is made of Carrara marble. You can still find the doors and LA PLACITA, the entrance for horse drawn carriages, also in their original forms.
    In the 1950's it became very famous with the famous such as Ava Gardner, Frank Sinatra,Elizabeth Taylor,Mia Farrow , Zsa Zsa Gabor, Sophia Loren, Gina Lollobrigida, Tony Curtis, Robert Mitchum, Luis Mariano, Gary Cooper and Charleston Heston. Amongs many.

just wonderful.

Unique Quality: ultimate location, close to all the nice shopping and my sites.the views of the city are great see photos.

Directions: by Train go to Chamartin Renfe and take a taxi for about 10€ to hotel. or by metro from airport take line 8 to nuevos ministerios and then line 10 to Gregorio Marañón the station is about 1000 meters from hotel. I go by car.

• gaolei's Profile Photo

4-5 Star Hotel with 4-5 Star Prices

The rooms, the overall hotel and the service at the Inter-Continental are beyond comparison with the hotels I normally stay in. Like most expensive hotels, nothing is cheap or free. At the lower end of the Holiday inn line, the Holiday Inn Express hotels, breakfast and internet are free.

At the top end of the hotel chain, the rooms are very expensive. The continental breakfast is 35 Euro, a lot of money for a roll. Internet is 20 Euro for 24 hours, 1 dollar per hour. When high speed internet at home costs 39 to 49 dollars per month, 25 dollars per day seems a bit high. In addition, as soon as you log-in, the timer starts and your 20 Euro goes away in 24 hours, use it or not.

In the lower end hotels you get a movie channel or two. At this hotel there is no movie channel. They do have a digital movie service that offers pay per view movies. For 29 Euro, you can watch all kinds of old movies, the kind you find at yard sales, all day. You also get to use the TV internet service with the wireless keyboard. So why so much for wired internet?

Expect dinner to cost 100 Euro for two people. The food is good and maybe worth it for the service and quality, but the VIP restaurant behind the hotel will fill you for under 20 Euro.

Unique Quality: Wonderful accomodations, great concierge service, a bath I would love to have in my home, great pillows. Expensive Internet service, high breakfast cost, high dining room costs, poor TV.

• roadeagl's Profile Photo

Great Location

Excellent buffet breakfast. Very friendly and efficient staff. Dinner offerings a bit bland and overpriced but you don't have to wait until 10 pm to eat. Wine was also expensive by the glass but bottle prices were more reasonable. I stayed here during a conference and wouldn't spend this much if I had to pay my own money but it was very nice in most respects. Very good location, easy to get to points of interest..

Unique Quality: Concierge recommended several reasonably priced restaurants serving excellent food.

Directions: north end of the main street in town

• 1of Madrid's best hotels..but location is business

High class rooms, big and clean, great service all-the-way. Not a single complaint!

Unique Quality: Just excellent. From breakfast to pay-tv-offerings and room service everything was very nice.

Directions: The location is a little out of the way for a tourist. It's more suitable for business. But metro is near, cheap and very clean and fast.

• Krystynn's Profile Photo

The lovely Castellana...

The lovely Castellana Inter-Continental Hotel located right in the heart of Madrid's historical and financial district. The subway/ metro is just outside its doorsteps.

Directions: Paseo de la Castellana 49, Madrid 28046, Spain

Tel: +34 91 700 7300

E-mail: madrid@interconti.com

More about Inter-Continental Madrid

Check out the tapa bars here...

by Krystynn

Check out the tapa bars here in Madrid.

But do remember one very important fact though: The Spanish meal times are legendary! The Spaniards have their lunch from 2PM to 4PM and their dinner? After 9PM! If you pop in to a tapa bar any earlier, you'd probably be the only lonesome soul in there..... unless you meet other like-minded tourists. :-))

Another place I'd like to recommend is the 'VIPS' Spanish fast food chain. They sell all kinds of food here - from sandwiches to sphagetti etc. The VIPS eaterie that I frequent the most is the branch located just down the street from the Miguel Angel Hotel/ InterContinental Hotel. The prices at this joint are VERY reasonable too! The service here however is kinda slow; so, if you are in a rush (like I was one afternoon), I had to forego my lunch after waiting for almost 45 minutes for my food to appear. It didn't. So..... :-(((

Excellent hotel and service

by TripAdvisor Member Honu_Ohana

We are staying here and I´m writing this from the excellent (if a bit pricey) business center computer. My husband is here for a business conference and I have come along--this is our second stay here in two years. The hotel is one of the best business hotels in Madrid. The lobby and public areas are immaculate, lots of marble and crystal. The rooms are very clean and well serviced, good bathrooms, adequate lighting. One slight drawback is only 2 small dresser drawers, requiring ¨living out of a suitcase¨rather than unpacking all for the 4 night stay.

The breakfast buffet is included in our rate. It is excellent, lots of variety in tersm of eggs, ham, other meats and cheeses, pastries, cereal, yogurts. The garden restaurant has a new chef and menu but we stuck with the lobster paella that we enjoyed last trip. The concierge staff is very helpful (we arranged for tours by email before we arrived). On Monday, when the museums were closed, I went to the Madrid Zoo. It´s a good zoo, with tigers, lions. bears, etc. plus a great coral reef aquarium with shark tank and a dolphin show. One WARNING--it is easy to get to the Zoo by cab but can be very hard to get a cad to go back to the hotel. Be sure you take teh hotel phone number with you and know how to use a Spanish pay phone. I had the first, didn´t know how to use a pay phone, and it made for an interesting half hour...but I finally reached the IC concierge, who gave me a better cab company to call and all turned out well. There is also a Metro stop (Caso de Campo) about a half mile from the Zoo entrance, better to take that than a bus and get totally lost."
I would recommend this hotel for anyone, tourist or business traveler. It is about a 30 minute walk to the Prado, closer to the Archeological Museum, Science Museum, and shopping.
A good Basque restaurant outside the hotel is Alkalde, Calle Jorge Juan 10, about a 20 min walk.

Not All That

by TripAdvisor Member Ontheballcity

Stayed here for a weekend with my wife, what can I say except that I was massively underwhelmed. I totally agree with the review from a previous traveller with regards to the common areas being fantastic, but the rooms themselves were nowhere near 5 star standard, from the look of the pics of the "view" that the previous traveller had, my room was in the same area as theirs. Don't get me wrong, the rooms were clean and the housekeeping staff were spot on. However, there was not enough room to swing the proverbial cat, the bathroom shower screen had a huge gap, so it was not possible to shower without making the bathroom floor look like a pond, there was a very funny smell in the room (not my feet). I guess I was just expecting more, I had originally planned to use the Urban, but decided against it because all the reviews said the rooms were small, so you can imagine my display when I arrived here! I stayed at The Aurora at Gatwick the night before we flew here, and I can honestly say that my room there was far superior to this!

Had a great stay

by TripAdvisor Member crvcrv

The Intercontinental at Paseo de la Castellana was excellent in every respect. I had joined Intercontinental's Priority Club (at no cost) one year prior to this stay, and they placed my wife and I in a beautiful, spacious room at no additional cost. Everyone was uniformly helpful and cordial. The location was very good in the sense that it was central, within a mile from the most important sights, yet quiet at night. I would definitely stay there again.

Standard fare

by TripAdvisor Member DB15

Typical business hotel - good for a city break.

Staff not particularly helpful, especially if you are a tourist rather being their on business.

We upgraded to use the executive lounge - a bit disappointed with it to be fair. The rooms are fine and clean.

Excellent, well run, Business luxury hotel.

by TripAdvisor Member RossandJoan

This hotel is geared towards the business traveller on a substantial expense account and would therefore account for the slightly clinical atmosphere. However, this did not detract from a very comfortable and flawless stay.

The Reception area is tiny, fortunately we had booked a Club Room and as such were steered towards a much more personal check-in desk in the Club Lounge. The welcome was friendly and efficient which was reflected throughout our stay by all the Intercontinental staff.

If there was one criticism, the room we were allocated, whilst clean, with all the essential amenities, was smaller than we had expected. It was facing the noisy main road but the sound insulation was extremely efficient.

The double bed was in fact two twins pushed together - even the duvets were single! The beds were very comfortable.

Breakfast was slightly better than the standard fare but not exceptional.

In conclusion, it is hard to criticise the hotel but when we return to Madrid we will seek out somewhere, located closer to the centre of Madrid, which has more atmosphere and character.

Comments