Madrid Hotels

Our Members Say

• spocklogic profile photo spocklogic
  • Reviews: 64

Petit Palace Art Gallery: Good hotel location for the Madrid Art Triangle

This hotel is situated near Plaza de Colon, very near many of the main museums of the so-called art triangle (Prado, Reina Sofia and Thyssen Bornemisza), as its namesake suggests. It's a 10 minute walk at most to the museums. The style of the hotel is definitely what I would call Modern, even a bit quirky in some respects with the sculptures and wall hangings. If this modern, quirky style is not to your taste then it's not for you, but I kind of liked it. It is interesting to see something a bit different now and then and I found the decor of the hotel something bold to challenge the patrons actually. I could appreciate that especially after the ponderous ways of the Prado.

I have the impression that the street it is located on is generally quiet, but they were digging it up when I was there so it was noisy and dusty in the daytime. This was going on all over Madrid when I visited, so I sort of got used to it. The room was clean, immaculately so actually. The staff was polite and helpful. There are many restaurants nearby of differing cultural flavors and some cute little specialty shops scattered about. The street had all I really needed in restaurants and shops to satisfy me after a day of travel. Aside from the daytime construction, I was most pleased with my stay. It was quiet and peaceful at night beneath the trees lining the street.

The modern design of the hotel was once part of the High-tech hoteles chain. The High Tech Hoteles chain did business under two brand names, but is now known as the Petit Palace Hoteles. Currently they operate 33 hotels, and most of the chain’s hotels are located in the historic and cultural centres of major Spanish cities.

Interesting display of art in the hotel

• Written May 26, 2014

Petit Palace postcard front

• littlebush profile photo littlebush
  • Reviews: 1132

Crowne Plaza airport: Chorizo pillows & poor service

I used up my holiday inn points to stay here for just 46euro while connecting on Madrid onto Lima

They have free shuttle from airport

Nothing to do near the hotel

Hotel is very nice, big room with huge long 'chorizo pillows'

Service was poor, room service forgot our knife n fork n we had to chase twice. In the bar they have a buzzer for table service but we still had to go to the bar

The gym is well equipped

Overall a pleasant relaxing stay before a long flight

• Written April 12, 2014

• gwened profile photo gwened
  • Reviews: 3228

Gran Mélia Fénix: Gran Mélia Fénix

a class hotel visited while just call the Fénix, then went to the Tryp chain and now it is in the Mélia chain. In all, it is a magnificent property right off paseo de la Castellana and near Plaza de Colon.

It was first done in 1953 what was an avant garde hotel. I have been staying here since 1990 on and off, pleasure was the first time than business and pleasure opportunities.

Some of the famous who have been here are The Beatles, Cary Grant, Bill Clinton,and David Beckham.

You will have all you need and more here,the very essence of Spanish luxury at its central city best. i took one old photo from the vault !

underground parking for my car around the corner part of hotel, near metro station at Colon, banks and stores and restos all around you , many bus lines passing by at paseo de la castellana. Surrounded by famous streets such as Serrano, Velázquez, Goya ,and Paseo de la Castellana, you can walk to all as it is in the so call golden mile of Madrid or Milla de Oro, and only 10 minutes from the famous Gran Vía, and the main muséums such as Prado, Reina Sofía, and Thyssen

great resto and bar and excellent breakfasts in the basement.

• Related to: Business Travel, Luxury Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written January 5, 2014

inside lobby F��nix hotel

• planxty profile photo planxty
  • Reviews: 1875

Excellent but a touch dated.: Sheraton Suites, Maresierra

Regular readers of my pages know that I usually travel on a budget that is not a really tight backpackers nor does it extend to five star hotels and haute cuisine generally. However, occasionally circumstances dictate that I do get to stay in "posh" places and so it was on my recent visit to Madrid. By circumstances I mean that someone else was paying the bill!

I arrived at the Sheraton in Mirasierra (I know there is another Sheraton in Madrid) and made my way to the suite and herein lies the crux of the whole place. The Sheraton is variously described as an hotel and suites and the latter seems the most apt description. A little research indicates that there are no rooms in the accepted sense here, there are only suites. To be specific there are 182 of them, the smallest of which os 60 sq.m and I believe that this is the size I was in. Having said that, it certainly ranks amongst the largest "hotel rooms" I have ever been in and was certainly more than adequate for me.

The suite was of an open plan comprising a small kitchenette area, fridge (with minibar), seating area / bedroom, washbasin area (his and hers) and seperate toilet and shower. I use the term kitchenette but it is really a sink and a microwave. I didn't find any cutlery nor crockery although there was, bizarrely, a trivet there. I suppose they don't want the table scorched with your takeaway and reheated meal. There is a seperate bathroom should you fancy one as well as a shower. All in all, it was extremely well-equipped and I was at a bit of a loss as to where to explore first as it really was a bit of a trek! Having spent five months living in a nipa (bamboo and thatch hut) in the Philippines last year and which I thoroughly loved, this really was a different world from this place.

So why do I use the title "a little bit dated"? Well, that is what it appeared to me. It was spotless, well-maintained and perfectly comfortable (including an excellently firm bed which was great for my bad back) but it just looked like it was from the 90's or even 80's. For example, the TV, complete with satellite channels, was an old-fashioned "big" one, not a flat screen which seems to be about standard in hotels these days. The decor seemed, well, just a little bit old. Very comfortable certainly and I have no complaints but it just struck me as a bit demode (sorry, don't have the correct accent on this keyboard for that word!).

The staff were excellent and very friendly but I would advise against the bar. Sure, it is probably great for the people who normally stay here but €6 for a small glass of Heineken is a bit rich for my blood. In retrospect, it is probably a bit rich for most peoples as I was the only person in there. I suggest you take a short and pleasant walk to the nearby Alomar bar where you can get a large glass of local beer (they do not have Spanish draught in the hotel) and have a much better time. Hotel bars, like airport bars, are generally a ripoff so avoid.

I know the hotel has an indoor swimming pool and spa which I did not use (I am not that fit any more) but I also discovered an outdoor swimming pool out the back when I went out there for a smoke one night (I told you I wasn't that fit!). Regrettably, the Sheraton here has followed the American model and gone completely non-smoking. Late November at about 0300 hours and with snow threatening was not the time to try the outdoor pool but I am sure it is delightful on a summer afternoon.

It has to be said that this hotel is not the most central in Madrid, it is actually quite a way out but it is close to the Herrera Oria Metro station which is about ten minutes easy walk away. I know that most people coming here will not be using the Metro as they will be either driving their own expensive car, being chauffeur driven or in a cab paid for by the company. I have been told that the Real Madrid football (soccer) team use this place the night before a match. I was there the night before a game but didn't actually see any of them, they were probably all tucked up in bed by the time I got home! For the likes of me, the Metro is quite good enough and I have written a tip on it on this Madrid page. Given the state of some of the traffic conditions I saw on the Madrid roads in the evening, I think the Metro was a good choice!

The hotel / suites have an attached restaurant called Verdil which I did not try as I never saw anyone in there at any point and it was horrendously expensive. Again, a short walk down the road will bring you to the Alomar bar / restaurant where you can get authentic Madrileno food and eat it with proper Madrilenos at a fraction of the price. I know where I woiuld rather be.

In summation then, the Sheraton Maresierra is a great place to stay. It is in a fairly posh residential area which makes it safe and with no late night traffic noise, the rooms are excellent, you have easy access to public transport if the chauffeur has the day off, good leisure facilities if you are not a half-crippled old man like me and I cannot fault it.

I should mention that the room price I quote is from the website because, as I mentioned, I was not paying but it is for a similar time of year. Obviously, seasonal differences will apply.

Finally, here is an insiders tip which I hope is what VT is all about. If you do arrive by Metro, alight at the Fermin Caballero exit from Herrera Oria Metro station. Once above ground, turn right (back on yourself), then take the first path across the park and continue straight until you come out at a small row of shops (I recommend the supermarket there which is excellent) and keep walking straight. The hotel is a couple of hundred yards on the right. At night is it well lit and feels very safe, as it does in daytime.

I suppose the only unique thing about the Sheraton Maresierra is that it has suites rather than traditional rooms. Very comfortable and recommended.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Business Travel
  • Written December 2, 2013
Tip Photo

Sheraton Maresierra, Madrid, Spain.

• bijo69 profile photo bijo69
  • Reviews: 943

Hostal La Bañezana: Nice Hostal

This Hostal is located in the centre, not far from Puerta del Sol in a very busy street.
Rooms are on the smallish side, but are very clean & comfy. Unfortunately mine was facing the street. As there are lots of bars & clubs in this street it can be very noisy until the early hours. Bring your earplugs!
The staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written October 13, 2013

• littlebush profile photo littlebush
  • Reviews: 1132

Airbnb: Airbnb in Lavapies

We stayed with airing at a small flat in lavatories on cava del ave Maria. It was £37 a night and pretty good value for money. It has a small bathroom,living room and kitchen and bedroom.
Location is good,just 5min walk to the metro and just 10-15min walk to the central square,Sol.

• Written October 8, 2013

• Benito1234 profile photo Benito1234
  • Reviews: 2

EsAPartments: Luxury apartments in Madrid

Hello!!

Not long ago I had the chance of staying in one of the wonderful apartments offered by EsApartments in Madrid. They are splendid places to spend the night. They are perfect if you are in a business trip or if you are simply on a relaxing vacation.

This is the website. Check it out if you are interested, I'm sure you will love them. http://www.esapartments.com/en/luxury-apartments/city/madrid/

Keep travelling!

• Related to: Family Travel, Business Travel, Luxury Travel
  • Written May 2, 2013

• Redang profile photo Redang
  • Reviews: 2924
Note about my suggestions

As you can imagine, I know many hotels, hostels and pensions in Madrid, however, I’ve never “tried” any. When somebody asks me about one place or another, I only can give my opinion about the feeling I have or the area, but never about the place itself .

So, I’ve decided to add here hotels/hostels/pensions some VT members have written a tip about, but just the link which will redirect you to the member's tip (and after I have the permission from him/her).

I hope it helps you to find the best accommodation for you

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written February 22, 2013

• gwened profile photo gwened
  • Reviews: 3228

several: hostales of Madrid

check the hostals of Spain here from folks living there

in the tourist center, there are all over, you wont have a problem ::)

local, inexpensive, central, and historic nerve of the city

• Related to: Singles, Arts and Culture, Budget Travel
  • Written March 13, 2012

• pipot83 profile photo pipot83
  • Reviews: 3

NH Palacio de Tepa: Luxury and exclusive hotel in Madrid

Located in Madrid's Las Letras district, the NH Palacio de Tepa is surrounded by history and romance. Just a five-minute walk away, the famous Plaza Mayor and next to Plaza Santa Ana enchant tourists and locals alike. Madrid's most significant museums, such as the Prado Museum, Queen Sofia Art Centre, and Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum, are also nearby, beckoning visitors with priceless works of art.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Architecture, Business Travel, Luxury Travel
  • Written August 10, 2011
Tip Photo

• virtualpatrick profile photo virtualpatrick
  • Reviews: 485
University housing option for budget accomodation: University housing option for budget accomodation

Another option for budget accomodation is staying in rooms at university housing during the summer months when the university is not in session!

Prices based on by room (not per person) per night.

• Related to: Budget Travel, School Holidays, Backpacking
  • Written June 21, 2011

• piglet44 profile photo piglet44
  • Reviews: 210

Hostal Astoria: cheap and convenient

We loved the Hostal Astoria since it was extremely convenient only about 5 minutes walk from Puerta del Sol.
there were lots of restaurants,bars and music places nearby but the room was not noisy. It had a/c and free internet and the folks at the desk were most helpful. No breakfast but no hostal in downtown Madrid does I think and lots of cheapo places around that you can eat and grab a coffee. Booked it at booking.com so free cancellation is available up to 24 hours before arrival.

Cheap and convenient.

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written April 16, 2011
Tip Photo

view out of our window to the street

• zumodemango profile photo zumodemango
  • Reviews: 388

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Petit palace Arenal Madrid: A hotel you can go with your pet!

In Madrid is difficult, in comparison to others cities in Europe, go with your pet in a hotel. Well in this hotel, very close to Puerta del Sol, center of Madrid, you can go with your pet. Of course, call before and ask it.

• Written February 8, 2011

• gilescorey profile photo gilescorey
  • Reviews: 223

Hotel Mario: Fading hipster in great location

Part of the "Roommate" group of hotels, "Mario" is definitely one of the older in the series. Another lumbering 90's relic with a sleek Miami aesthetic, travelers can get a fairly stylish stay at a budget price.

The location is really unbeatable - just uphill from the "Opera" metro station, on a quiet, charming street.

The staff was quite friendly, although the front desk was chronically understaffed(pretty typical Spanish mode of cost-cutting). On the bright side, the included breakfast was quite good, extensive, and served in an attractive dining room.

The room itself was a good size, and well-appointed as well.

It's not the trendsetter it once was(and the "named" format for the hotels is hella annoying), but at these prices, and in this location, you'll have no complaints. I would book it, again.

• Related to: Singles, Gay and Lesbian, Arts and Culture
  • Written January 17, 2011

Roommate Mario

• rkearns profile photo rkearns
  • Reviews: 445

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

international and albergue juvenil: hostels in madrid

luckily, many hostels are located near the metro.
here's one i liked:

here's another one i stayed at that's close to sol.

i would read the review to make sure you like them. the locations are great though.

hostelworld.com is a good site, http://www.hostelworld.com/search?search_keywords=Madrid,+Spain&country=Spain&city=Madrid

also hostellinginternational.com

there are tons of hostels all around sol (that's the center)
sometimes, you can just grab a travel guide book and look at the pensiones and find them on the street. that would be my second option if i were you. a bit more expensive, but with a private bathroom and room.

hope that helps.