Madrid Hotels

Our Members Say

• vanessadb profile photo vanessadb
  • Reviews: 352

Hotel Don Ramon de la Cruz: 2 star hotel in Salamanca district

It's always hard to recommend hotels in the city where you live as you by definition don't need one. However, as Madrid is a quite popular city and your flat tends to get packed with visitors, I did have to look for a hotel for one of my visitors once as I didn't have any space left at home! I thus recommend this 2 star hotel, located in the Salamanca district, close to the Goya shopping area and the Ventas bullfighting arena. All in all, nice calm location, nice clean rooms and affordable prices.

Nice 2 star hotel in a safe and calm location yet centralized, and for an affordable price: around 50 euros for a single room. By the way, you might want to try to reserve it undirectly through an internet reservation website, as you will get special and cheaper prices as well as available rooms even when the hotel tells you it's full!

• Related to: Business Travel, Budget Travel, Women's Travel
  • Written February 8, 2005

• piglet44 profile photo piglet44
  • Reviews: 210

Hostal Astoria: cheap and convenient

We loved the Hostal Astoria since it was extremely convenient only about 5 minutes walk from Puerta del Sol.
there were lots of restaurants,bars and music places nearby but the room was not noisy. It had a/c and free internet and the folks at the desk were most helpful. No breakfast but no hostal in downtown Madrid does I think and lots of cheapo places around that you can eat and grab a coffee. Booked it at booking.com so free cancellation is available up to 24 hours before arrival.

Cheap and convenient.

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written April 16, 2011
Tip Photo

view out of our window to the street

• Carmela71 profile photo Carmela71
  • Reviews: 2995

Bancotel

My favorite accomodation is www.bancotel.com you get bonus to stay in diferent hotels (3,4 starts) for only 50 euros the double room per night, great value and quality!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is a good option, but also you can get this deals of them on other websites as

www.atrapalo.com
www.25discount.com

• Written October 14, 2002

• SirRichard profile photo SirRichard
  • Reviews: 3639

"Official" Youth Hostels

There are only 3 Youth Hostels in Madrid, all of them managed by the local government. The other 2 (San Fermin & Richard Schirrmann) are too far from the city center, but this one (Sta. Cruz) is quite well located.
c/ Sta. Cruz de Marcenado, 28. 28015 Madrid. Tel.: (34)915474532. Fax: (34)915481196. Close to the Metro Station 'Arguelles' (at the end of line 4, brown), buses 1, 2, 44, 74.
Prices: 7.21 Euros if you are less then 26; 10.9 Euros if you are older (Breakfast incl.). They have 2 doubles and several 4-5 persons shared rooms. No meals. Max. 3 days stay. Closes at 1.30 am

• Written September 12, 2002
Tip Photo

Located in a quiet street

• tzuki profile photo tzuki
  • Reviews: 163

Loft at Malasaña District: Madrid apartment

I didn´t stay at this cosy and modern loft although I highly recommend it.
The place is rented by a friend of me, Sara. She and her husband are both Architect and Interior designer, and you can trace those details in the decoration of the place itself.

The Loft is place is one of the most lively places of Old Madrid and the apartment is well equipped and modern.
A place to enjoy and to have it as an option if you travel to Madrid.

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Luxury Travel, Business Travel
  • Written October 30, 2009

• garridogal profile photo garridogal
  • Reviews: 907

Hotel Regina: Excellent location and good deal

Centrally located on Calle Alcala, the Hotel Regina is minutes from Cibeles, Puerta del Sol and the Plaza Mayor, to name just a few spots. The location is truly excellent and that can't be beat. The lobby is nice and always bustling, as it's almost incorporated into the restaurant next door, and the staff is very friendly.

Accommodations depend, however, on which half of the hotel you're in. I stayed here at the beginning of our trip and at the end. On the first-leg, our room was in the modern back half. It was very nicely decorated, and the bathroom was lovely. (My photos here are from that stay.) The view in this section of the hotel is non-existent as the windows face an small opening between it and an office building next door. However, this creates an ideal sleeping environment and you'll never know that you're in the middle of a major city.

On our return leg, our room was in the front, older part of the hotel. I can't say that it was a negative experience but here are my complaints. There were three of us and the room was divided into 2 sections. I took the section with the single bed which was in an alcove. The alcove's sole piece of furniture was the bed. There was certainly room for a night stand where a guest could put his or her belongings and, more importantly, a lamp. The only light in that section of the room was the florescent one on the ceiling. It was horrible to have to use this blinding light whenever I needed to see something. Hence, the need for that table. Also, the person using that bed has no view of the TV while lying in bed. Some of us like that sort of thing.

The plus was the view (from the main room.) That just can't be beat.

• Related to: Architecture, Photography, Museum Visits
  • Written November 1, 2010

Right on Alcala by Sevilla Metro stop

• barryg23 profile photo barryg23
  • Reviews: 2896

Hostal Cervantes

We spent our first night in Madrid in Hostal Cervantes. It's in a great location, near all the bars and restaurants of Plaza Santa Ana and close to the big three museums. At 50 Euro for a double room it's one of the best value places in Madrid. The hostel is on the 2nd floor of an apartment block and the owner is a very friendly guy, though perhaps a little unorganised. He had promised us a room when we returned from Toledo but it had gone when we returned so he took us around the corner to another hostel instead. There was no air-conditioning which was a little uncomfortable on the first day as the temperatures were about 40 degrees, but otherwise everything was fine.

• Written July 21, 2006

• bijo69 profile photo bijo69
  • Reviews: 943

Hostal La Bañezana: Nice Hostal

This Hostal is located in the centre, not far from Puerta del Sol in a very busy street.
Rooms are on the smallish side, but are very clean & comfy. Unfortunately mine was facing the street. As there are lots of bars & clubs in this street it can be very noisy until the early hours. Bring your earplugs!
The staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written October 13, 2013
Tip Photo

• elmap profile photo elmap
  • Reviews: 1

hostel Victoria II: the cheapest accomodation in the heart of Madird

We were in Madrid last year in Madrid and we found the best and cheapest accomodation in the heart of Madrid- hostel Victoria II, just one street of the main square Puerta del Sol. It was cheap and clean, it was cleaned every morning, with new towels, and everything else that you need. there was also a TV. We booked a room with a toilet online at www.hostal-victoria.com

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written April 7, 2009

• SirRichard profile photo SirRichard
  • Reviews: 3639

Hostels & Vegans restaurants

Bonsoir Cécile

My favourite is the ECOCENTRO (http://www.ecocentro.es/index2.htm). They have store and supermarket too but it is a bit far from the centre.
There is a nice quick-food vegetarian in the very centre, 200 metres from Puerta del Sol, at calle Mayor: MAOZ (http://www.maozveg.com/59)
El Granero de Lavapies is a good one too, close to Reina Sofia Museum, if you happen to go there.

About hostels, some favourites for backpackers are:
METROPOL http://www.metropolhostel.com/index.html

• Written April 11, 2008

• Fedzo profile photo Fedzo
  • Reviews: 63

Oriente: my Casa in heart of Madrid

this is a one floor hostel in the heart of Madrid, rooms are small but got everything u need: TV, AC, Heater, safe Box and a very nice clean bathroom with H/C water. the Staff is very friendly and helpfull, although u will find it hard to deal with them in English, but this is a very common thing among madrid people. No cerfue, they actually gave me the Hostel key so i can come in and out whenever i want. in Brief: very nice place to stay in, best Value/ Price deal, and i'd definitely recommend it

Very central close to all major monuments. 30 m away from the metro and Bus station (Opera). Extremely clean and tidy.

• Related to: Singles, Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written February 14, 2006

• Gaby_G profile photo Gaby_G
  • Reviews: 92

Madrid Man: Before Landing... On-line Booking

I checked this page before traveling to Madrid, they have lots of hostels and hotels with a homepage and online booking, it helped me a lot, I hope it helps you too!

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Backpacking, Historical Travel, Budget Travel
  • Written October 15, 2003

I��m leaving...

• planxty profile photo planxty
  • Reviews: 1826

Excellent but a touch dated.: Sheraton Suites, Maresierra

Regular readers of my pages know that I usually travel on a budget that is not a really tight backpackers nor does it extend to five star hotels and haute cuisine generally. However, occasionally circumstances dictate that I do get to stay in "posh" places and so it was on my recent visit to Madrid. By circumstances I mean that someone else was paying the bill!

I arrived at the Sheraton in Mirasierra (I know there is another Sheraton in Madrid) and made my way to the suite and herein lies the crux of the whole place. The Sheraton is variously described as an hotel and suites and the latter seems the most apt description. A little research indicates that there are no rooms in the accepted sense here, there are only suites. To be specific there are 182 of them, the smallest of which os 60 sq.m and I believe that this is the size I was in. Having said that, it certainly ranks amongst the largest "hotel rooms" I have ever been in and was certainly more than adequate for me.

The suite was of an open plan comprising a small kitchenette area, fridge (with minibar), seating area / bedroom, washbasin area (his and hers) and seperate toilet and shower. I use the term kitchenette but it is really a sink and a microwave. I didn't find any cutlery nor crockery although there was, bizarrely, a trivet there. I suppose they don't want the table scorched with your takeaway and reheated meal. There is a seperate bathroom should you fancy one as well as a shower. All in all, it was extremely well-equipped and I was at a bit of a loss as to where to explore first as it really was a bit of a trek! Having spent five months living in a nipa (bamboo and thatch hut) in the Philippines last year and which I thoroughly loved, this really was a different world from this place.

So why do I use the title "a little bit dated"? Well, that is what it appeared to me. It was spotless, well-maintained and perfectly comfortable (including an excellently firm bed which was great for my bad back) but it just looked like it was from the 90's or even 80's. For example, the TV, complete with satellite channels, was an old-fashioned "big" one, not a flat screen which seems to be about standard in hotels these days. The decor seemed, well, just a little bit old. Very comfortable certainly and I have no complaints but it just struck me as a bit demode (sorry, don't have the correct accent on this keyboard for that word!).

The staff were excellent and very friendly but I would advise against the bar. Sure, it is probably great for the people who normally stay here but €6 for a small glass of Heineken is a bit rich for my blood. In retrospect, it is probably a bit rich for most peoples as I was the only person in there. I suggest you take a short and pleasant walk to the nearby Alomar bar where you can get a large glass of local beer (they do not have Spanish draught in the hotel) and have a much better time. Hotel bars, like airport bars, are generally a ripoff so avoid.

I know the hotel has an indoor swimming pool and spa which I did not use (I am not that fit any more) but I also discovered an outdoor swimming pool out the back when I went out there for a smoke one night (I told you I wasn't that fit!). Regrettably, the Sheraton here has followed the American model and gone completely non-smoking. Late November at about 0300 hours and with snow threatening was not the time to try the outdoor pool but I am sure it is delightful on a summer afternoon.

It has to be said that this hotel is not the most central in Madrid, it is actually quite a way out but it is close to the Herrera Oria Metro station which is about ten minutes easy walk away. I know that most people coming here will not be using the Metro as they will be either driving their own expensive car, being chauffeur driven or in a cab paid for by the company. I have been told that the Real Madrid football (soccer) team use this place the night before a match. I was there the night before a game but didn't actually see any of them, they were probably all tucked up in bed by the time I got home! For the likes of me, the Metro is quite good enough and I have written a tip on it on this Madrid page. Given the state of some of the traffic conditions I saw on the Madrid roads in the evening, I think the Metro was a good choice!

The hotel / suites have an attached restaurant called Verdil which I did not try as I never saw anyone in there at any point and it was horrendously expensive. Again, a short walk down the road will bring you to the Alomar bar / restaurant where you can get authentic Madrileno food and eat it with proper Madrilenos at a fraction of the price. I know where I woiuld rather be.

In summation then, the Sheraton Maresierra is a great place to stay. It is in a fairly posh residential area which makes it safe and with no late night traffic noise, the rooms are excellent, you have easy access to public transport if the chauffeur has the day off, good leisure facilities if you are not a half-crippled old man like me and I cannot fault it.

I should mention that the room price I quote is from the website because, as I mentioned, I was not paying but it is for a similar time of year. Obviously, seasonal differences will apply.

Finally, here is an insiders tip which I hope is what VT is all about. If you do arrive by Metro, alight at the Fermin Caballero exit from Herrera Oria Metro station. Once above ground, turn right (back on yourself), then take the first path across the park and continue straight until you come out at a small row of shops (I recommend the supermarket there which is excellent) and keep walking straight. The hotel is a couple of hundred yards on the right. At night is it well lit and feels very safe, as it does in daytime.

I suppose the only unique thing about the Sheraton Maresierra is that it has suites rather than traditional rooms. Very comfortable and recommended.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Business Travel
  • Written December 2, 2013
Tip Photo

Sheraton Maresierra, Madrid, Spain.

• ines2003 profile photo ines2003
  • Reviews: 393

hostal galan: spain attention

Central heating, Television, Shower, Laundry, Kitchen, Ventilator, when i stay in this hostal, i had very good atention of yours owners, it is very warm place, very safe, and international place, i knew people of differentt part of world.
i have my owner room, i thinks this is very important when someone trip through a time prolonged and ademas, is not so youth, as

very closet to the places but important and turisticos, as of the greater plaza, the pedestrian prized one.

• Written December 10, 2003
Tip Photo

• diver-x profile photo diver-x
  • Reviews: 483

Coruna Hostal: Coruna Hostal

The Coruna is in the same building as the Sud-Americana. In fact, we were going to go back to the Sud-Americana, but the elevator was broken and the Coruna is 3 floors closer to the ground. The layout of both hostals is very similar, only they are mirror images. The furnishings of the Coruna are a little cheaper and more worn than the Sud-Americana, but it is very clean.

• Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel