M. Ronda Hostal Madrid

More about Madrid

Bodega Angel Sierra and Plaza de ChuecaBodega Angel Sierra and Plaza de Chueca

More tapasMore tapas

metro stationmetro station

Madrid Marathon (España/Spain)Madrid Marathon (España/Spain)

Madrid Card/Tourist Travel Pass?

by unaS

I will be in Madrid for one full week (including 1-day trips to Toledo, Segovia and perhaps Avila).

Am debating purchasing either the Madrid Card or the Tourist Travel Pass or both?
Despite the online discount the Madrid card for 48 hours, for instance, seems expensive...

The Tourist Travel card otoh is reasonable, a 5 day pass is only Euro 17.60 within Zone A. Zone T is double the price. Which am I likely, as a tourist, to find more useable?

Or is there something better, like the Barcelona T-10 for instance?

Your suggestions and recommendations most welcome!

by Jontxu

I don´t know the T10, but if this is a card you get with 10 trips, in Madrid you have the same, to travel by bus or tube and I would go for it.

by unaS

Thanks Jon. What is it called in Madrid?

by Jontxu

Bono10

Thanks!

by unaS

Thanks once again Pedro. For museums and such I think that I will be eligible for the Senior discount (over 60) even though I am not from an EU country?

The Madrid card will probably have more things I won't do, than things I will do...

The bono (or abono?) card seems more reasonable. Is it good for the airport to city ride? That is still Zone A?

by unaS

I'll have a book to write about the number of questions I asked and about all of the helpful people here that answered me!

by unaS

LOL - I'd like to see them reading a senior's discount card in Hebrew LOL!!!

Actually I thought that my passport would be proof enough - it does have one's birth date on it.

by unaS

You most definitely are in it - one of the top contributors!

Funny - using an insurance card as a 'social security' card!

But if it is based on age and not on EU citizenship, then really it does seem to me that the passport should be best.

I have some Senior ID cards for various places but they are all in Hebrew and don't have photos. I doubt they would be effective.

by unaS

I don't know if it will be better, but it is all I have with both a photo and a birth date on it...

by cherrychops

UnaS , we meet again! When will you be in Madrid for a week? Your question on the travel card was most useful. I was wondering the same thing (if there was a T10 equivalent in Madrid). Mazaltov on the birth of your grandsons ( I saw their photos on your home page)

Hi Cheryl,

That is what happens on VT when you are planning a trip to the same place :)

I expect to be in Madrid at the end of September, beginning of October.

Hoping to arrange a small Meet there with some local VT Madridlenos and other visitors.

Will you be there about the same time?

by unaS

Toda! Thanks for the good wishes on the birth of my grandsons.

by cherrychops

Hi Una
I tried to send you an email but it didn't show as sent in my sent mail so I am replying here. I will be in Madrid in the middle of August.

by unaS

Sorry about that. Looks like we won't be able to meet this time 'round. Another time I hope.

by unaS

The email for some reason has not come through.

Travel Tips for Madrid

Visit the Prado Museum. One...

by SANDYGR

Visit the Prado Museum. One of the most important art collections in the world, get a close up look at the original masters. After you've visited the gallery take a walk through the Pac de Retiro, the most relaxed and peaceful place in Madrid. Standing metres away from an original Rubens masterpiece. I'm not an art fan but seeing this was amazing

January - New Year Eve

by Danalia

On new year eve ( Noche Vieja) you can find the Madrid people down at the Puerta del Sol.
There is a costume in Spain , and its to eat 12 grapefruits (Doce uvas) , one for each month of the year.
It is easy to find little cans with exact 12 grapes inside, in any supermarket in town. The bell will ring 12 times, and brings in with it the New year.
If you are in Madrid at this time of the year - don't miss it.

Bolsa de Madrid (Madrid Stock Exchange)

by Redang

Do you want to invest all the money you have while in Madrid? Maybe your stay maybe be for "free"...! The Stock Exchange was founded on 20 October 1,831.

There are guided tours.

Address:
Plaza de la Lealtad, 1
28014 Madrid

Metro: Banco de España (line 2).

Old books from all over the world!

by maria_mullah about Petra's international bookshop

It's loaded with books, from front to back, floor to ceiling!
The owner is a very nice person, who often takes the time
to talk to her costumers. Here, you can find books in many
different languages, and if you've got some foreign books
yourself that you don't wish to keep, Petra's glad to buy them from you! Not much, most books cost between 1 and 5 euros

Cool funky

by Lorro about Sala SOL

Sala Sol is a cool dance club that caters mostly to a 20s-30s crowd, more alternative than posh but for everyone. I really like the music there. I would describe it as hip 70s/funk/bossanova groove. It gets really crowded but if you go early (2.15am) you have more space to dance till it gets packed. Closes around 6am.
Its one of my favorite places to go because the music is great, its not so posh and everyone just has a great time.
There is a dj on fri and Sat nights during the week there are concerts of various styles. No special dress code that I know of, you can get in with sneakers.

Comments