Mirasierra Suites Hotel & Spa

planxty's Profile Photo

Sheraton Suites, Maresierra

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 2, 2013

Regular readers of my pages know that I usually travel on a budget that is not a really tight backpackers nor does it extend to five star hotels and haute cuisine generally. However, occasionally circumstances dictate that I do get to stay in "posh" places and so it was on my recent visit to Madrid. By circumstances I mean that someone else was paying the bill!

I arrived at the Sheraton in Mirasierra (I know there is another Sheraton in Madrid) and made my way to the suite and herein lies the crux of the whole place. The Sheraton is variously described as an hotel and suites and the latter seems the most apt description. A little research indicates that there are no rooms in the accepted sense here, there are only suites. To be specific there are 182 of them, the smallest of which os 60 sq.m and I believe that this is the size I was in. Having said that, it certainly ranks amongst the largest "hotel rooms" I have ever been in and was certainly more than adequate for me.

The suite was of an open plan comprising a small kitchenette area, fridge (with minibar), seating area / bedroom, washbasin area (his and hers) and seperate toilet and shower. I use the term kitchenette but it is really a sink and a microwave. I didn't find any cutlery nor crockery although there was, bizarrely, a trivet there. I suppose they don't want the table scorched with your takeaway and reheated meal. There is a seperate bathroom should you fancy one as well as a shower. All in all, it was extremely well-equipped and I was at a bit of a loss as to where to explore first as it really was a bit of a trek! Having spent five months living in a nipa (bamboo and thatch hut) in the Philippines last year and which I thoroughly loved, this really was a different world from this place.

So why do I use the title "a little bit dated"? Well, that is what it appeared to me. It was spotless, well-maintained and perfectly comfortable (including an excellently firm bed which was great for my bad back) but it just looked like it was from the 90's or even 80's. For example, the TV, complete with satellite channels, was an old-fashioned "big" one, not a flat screen which seems to be about standard in hotels these days. The decor seemed, well, just a little bit old. Very comfortable certainly and I have no complaints but it just struck me as a bit demode (sorry, don't have the correct accent on this keyboard for that word!).

The staff were excellent and very friendly but I would advise against the bar. Sure, it is probably great for the people who normally stay here but €6 for a small glass of Heineken is a bit rich for my blood. In retrospect, it is probably a bit rich for most peoples as I was the only person in there. I suggest you take a short and pleasant walk to the nearby Alomar bar where you can get a large glass of local beer (they do not have Spanish draught in the hotel) and have a much better time. Hotel bars, like airport bars, are generally a ripoff so avoid.

I know the hotel has an indoor swimming pool and spa which I did not use (I am not that fit any more) but I also discovered an outdoor swimming pool out the back when I went out there for a smoke one night (I told you I wasn't that fit!). Regrettably, the Sheraton here has followed the American model and gone completely non-smoking. Late November at about 0300 hours and with snow threatening was not the time to try the outdoor pool but I am sure it is delightful on a summer afternoon.

It has to be said that this hotel is not the most central in Madrid, it is actually quite a way out but it is close to the Herrera Oria Metro station which is about ten minutes easy walk away. I know that most people coming here will not be using the Metro as they will be either driving their own expensive car, being chauffeur driven or in a cab paid for by the company. I have been told that the Real Madrid football (soccer) team use this place the night before a match. I was there the night before a game but didn't actually see any of them, they were probably all tucked up in bed by the time I got home! For the likes of me, the Metro is quite good enough and I have written a tip on it on this Madrid page. Given the state of some of the traffic conditions I saw on the Madrid roads in the evening, I think the Metro was a good choice!

The hotel / suites have an attached restaurant called Verdil which I did not try as I never saw anyone in there at any point and it was horrendously expensive. Again, a short walk down the road will bring you to the Alomar bar / restaurant where you can get authentic Madrileno food and eat it with proper Madrilenos at a fraction of the price. I know where I woiuld rather be.

In summation then, the Sheraton Maresierra is a great place to stay. It is in a fairly posh residential area which makes it safe and with no late night traffic noise, the rooms are excellent, you have easy access to public transport if the chauffeur has the day off, good leisure facilities if you are not a half-crippled old man like me and I cannot fault it.

I should mention that the room price I quote is from the website because, as I mentioned, I was not paying but it is for a similar time of year. Obviously, seasonal differences will apply.

Finally, here is an insiders tip which I hope is what VT is all about. If you do arrive by Metro, alight at the Fermin Caballero exit from Herrera Oria Metro station. Once above ground, turn right (back on yourself), then take the first path across the park and continue straight until you come out at a small row of shops (I recommend the supermarket there which is excellent) and keep walking straight. The hotel is a couple of hundred yards on the right. At night is it well lit and feels very safe, as it does in daytime.

Unique Quality: I suppose the only unique thing about the Sheraton Maresierra is that it has suites rather than traditional rooms. Very comfortable and recommended.

Alex083's Profile Photo

One of Madrid's Best

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 23, 2012

Considering that we booked this hotel with little research into it, it turned out to be an absolute gem! Towering above the local neighborhood, this hotel seems a little out of place with its ultra modern decor and grand marble reception area. The moment we walked in we were greeted very warmly and the staff seemed genuinely happy that we had chosen their hotel as a base to see Madrid.

Its not often that you can say that a reception area almost leaves you speechless, yet when we arrived, the sheer size and expense of the place just takes some getting used to. The main seating area was on a raised marble platform with plenty of seating and internet portals to keep you occupied should you need them. Once we had checked in our bags were taken to our room and we were encouraged to view the facilities of the hotel, such as the spa, pool and sports area. All the facilities were in excellent condition and we straight away made use of the pool as the temperature on arrival was in the mid-thirties.

Onto our room and again, considering we had little information about the hotel etc, our room turned out to be one of the suites on the top floor which was a nice surprise. You could have played football in the room it was so big and the bathroom was enormous also. The room had everything you could have wanted for a stay in such a grand hotel. Nothing was to much trouble for the staff and it is somewhere i would recommend in an instant to anyone wishing to add a little bit of extra luxury to their Madrid trip.

As we were checking out, the receptionist informed us (more directed at me i think) that Brazilian midfielder Robinho was due to have his press conference there the following day. Needless to say i was a little disapointed that our stay wasn't just a day longer.

Nearby Mirasierra Suites Hotel & Spa

• Shuttle Service
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Madrid Travel Forum

Need advice about Madrid, Spain? Visit the Travel Forum for Madrid and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Madrid hotel reviews