Partner Negresco

Hotel Aquaria Negresco
Expedia.com Orbitz.com CheapTickets.com

Rated 11% higher but also costs 50% more than other 3 star hotels

More about Madrid

The four towers fading out with some morning fogThe four towers fading out with some morning fog

toledotoledo

Atocha station from the outside at a distanceAtocha station from the outside at a distance

Iglesia de los Jerónimos (Madrid, España/Spain)Iglesia de los Jerónimos (Madrid, España/Spain)

Madrid or Casablanca

by mntraveller

Hello,

I will be in Amsterdam in January and have a few days to travel, I think I would like to go to either Madrid or Casablanca. I am not sure which to go to, any opinions?

Ciao.

Re: Madrid or Casablanca

by Belsaita

if going to Morocco... I'd not choose Casablanca (but it must be just me)

so between Madrid and Casablanca.... Madrid with no doubt

but if you asked Madrid or Fes or Marrakesh... and in Janaury... Fes or Marrakesh would win for me

But of course it depends on your likes and what you want to do there, these cities are too different!

Travel Tips for Madrid

A rounded brick house, and some reflexion

by El_Sueco

In Barcelona there is the Gaudi-house. This picture does not show anything like that, just show that even with ordinary bricks you can make a rounded and very nice shaped residential house.
A general impression of the residential houses in Madrid is that they are huge, very huge, and often built of bricks. They are built with big dimensions on all sides, and often there is a shaft in the middle to let in some light to rooms in the center.
By the way, I was interrogating a sales man (actually a woman) about some new departments under construction, and I was shown a plan of a department in a huge residential house. What struck me was that the kitchen was placed "in the middle" where there were no natural light, only some light from the shaft, but one room away! And the price level to get that department was too far away to become reachable.

tapas, late night dinner, and other delicious food

by tyerks

Well, everyone knows about the whole tapas/eating late dinners deal by now. (If you don't, check out almost anyone else's Madrid page) So, I'm going to use this space to clue ya'll in on some of the yummy Spanish food eaten during these times.
-Tortilla Espanola, it's like a quiche made of eggs and potatoe. It's really good, too. I don't know how they eat tapas and then have dinner, though. My mom and I had split a tortilla espanola and weren't too hungry after that.
-Paella, it's a very traditional Spanish meal, down at Costa del Sol, you'll see stands set up by the beach with huge pans of paella being made. Up north (in this case, Madrid) you can order it at a restaurant for two people or more. My mom and I ordered the two people serving. It could have served four!! But, it was absolutely DELICIOUS!! Definitely go for the chicken etc... paella. The seafood one is a little frightening at first for people who like to know exactly what's there. The leave everything in its shell. But, if you're an adventerous eater, go for it. It's good.
-Churros and hot chocolate, make sure you go to an authentic Spanish diner, not like a chain type or Americanized place. Churros cost us about 20 cents each, and a cup of hot chocolate (ie hot chocolate pudding) was about 2 euros. It's the best (fattiest) breakfast!
-Sangria, so so so good, especially when the put soda in it. MMMMMMM... I want to go back to Spain!!

JUAN MARCH INSTITUTE

by mindcrime

The Juan March Institute is a modern building that houses a scientific center but from time to time several interesting art exhibitions take place here. They also publish books (more than 380). Even if there isn’t any temporary exhibition you can see the sculptures outside of the building.

It's located at calle de Castello 77. take metro to station Nunez de Balboa

Wax Museum

by SirRichard

Not many tourists visit this little but interesting museum with a special "horror" section. Located in the "Colon" Square, along the Castellana Avenue.
Paseo de Recoletos, 41. Metro Colón
Regular entrance 9 euros (children, 5 euros).

O'Neill's

by Nathalie_B about The biggest in Madrid?

Sure I had to see at least one Irish pub in Madrid. Actually it was my second, but I'll never find the first one because it was New Year's Eve and the beer was flowing and .....well, I don't even remember the name of the place.
Anyway, O'Neill's is another story. Ursula (Urzu on VT) and I went there for 2 purposes. And the first purpose was sad. For a long time our dear Bernishand and I were planning to have Guinness together, one day. Unfortunately, our plans were interrupted by the damn cancer. That evening, Urzu and I were drinking for Berni. I loved that women dearly, although we never had the chance to meet.
My second reason was happier that the previous. I needed to go to an Irish bar in Madrid and remember the place when I leave it :)

Now, imagine a huge place, 2 floors, ocean of chairs and tables, typical Irish bar design, and just like that, on a wall a huge, church-size organ. I couldn't believe my eyes. I wonder if it's still operating. Anyway, I have the feeling that this is the biggest Irish bar of Madrid.
However, life music shows take place regularly and attract many local and tourists. I have to admit that there were more tourists in that bar than in any other place I've seen in Madrid. I assumed that the reason foreigners "hit" Irish pubs is the language. All the waitresses and bar tenders speak perfect English, which makes tourists' lives much easier.

The bar is located in a very nice area not far from Plaza Mayor. This is were most of the cinty center's nightlife is concentrated. The Guinness was very good. I definitely didn't taste any water in it. The price is average. And the atmosphere is really great!
Highly recommended!