Room Mate Laura

Travesia de los Trujillos 3, Plaza de las Descalzas, Reales, Madrid, Madrid, 28013, Spain

Booking.com Orbitz.com Travelocity

Costs 30% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• Noisy hotel - poor customer service

Hotel is situated on a busy one way system and our room was on the corner of 3 roads. Continuous traffic noise day and night with car horns been blown at all hours, then when you finally drop off to sleep the church bells start! Only there for a couple of nights so did not complain until we arrived home(big mistake), all we were offered was a voucher to come back for a free night - rather poke my own eyes out! Apparently it is against customer policy to offer any cash refund as we have already checked out.
    So my advice to anyone staying is make any complaints while you are there as the customer service department is not interested once you leave.
    Felt it was overpriced and although it is modern inside it is done very cheaply and will not age well at all.
    Glad to get home and get some sleep!

Unique Quality: Noise at all hours!

• leplaya's Profile Photo

Cool hotel near everything

This is a really interesting hotel, near Sol and the Gran Via. We had a large loft decorated in all green. It really looked futuristic. On the first floor of the room there is a large living room with lots of sitting space, flat screen TV, eating area and full bathroom. There are stairs up to the loft which has the bed, another flatscreen TV, and another full bathroom. It’s worth treating yourself to this hotel. The staff is very nice and there is also a great breakfast (comes with the room).

Directions: Near Gran Via and Sol

More about Room Mate Laura

Room Mate Laura's a good option for central Madrid

by TripAdvisor Member AlexanderWG

Room Mate Laura is a centrally located serviced apartment in a renovated building with imaginative modern decor. It was clean and comfortable, with an unusual two-level layout. Access to the upper level (lounge, cupboard and desk) might be difficult for the very unfit. Like all Madrid CBD accommodation it is subject to some street noise at night, but is OK with windows shut. Although it has a small kitchen no utensils, cutlery or crockery were provided, so it was difficult to use. This was a disappointment. There is an included breakfast, which is adequate, but with little choice: no hot items. There is also a joint-use laundry and it would have been helpful if this had been mentioned in in-room documentation. Free wireless internet was also available. Staff were friendly and helpful, but had a range of English language ability. We (a mature couple) would return given the opportunity.

H is for Hotel d'Paris, Monaco

by sourbugger about Hotel d'Paris

The Hotel de Paris is considered to be one of the finest hotels on the planet. I admit I have not actually stayed in the joint - but it is an ambition.

They say that every whim will be catered for at this establishment unless you turn up in reception and say things like :

"Got room mate ?...I didn't bother to book'.

"Can I check the rooms to see if they are allright ?"

"The names Bond, James Bond" - they get very bored of this apparantly.

I would however love to drive across Casino Square in a battered old Skoda with the exhaust pipe dragging along the tarmac (having pre-booked into the hotel) and sling my keys at the doorman as the bell boy drags up assorted luggage in plastic bin-bags up to the room. I would then use room service to send out for McDonalds.

A standard room can be had for around 350 Euros.

Great hotel- Great location!

by TripAdvisor Member travelgrrlnyc

I stayed at Room Mate Laura for 3 nights on vacation. It is a stylish, yet comfortable hotel and in a great location.

I booked the hotel through Expedia, but ultimately emailed the hotel directly to confirm the reservation, get a a confirmation number (Expedia could not provide it) and give them my room preference (quiet room on a high floor, king bed, non-smoking). I highly recommend doing this. They were quick to respond and made sure that all my requests were taken care of.

Upon check-in they put me in room 405. It has a king bed and is non-smoking. It was quiet and exactly what I wanted. Everyone I ran into at the front desk spoke English. They were really helpful with maps, directions and suggestions. (Of all the hotels I stayed at in Spain, the front desk at Room Mate Laura was by far the most helpful and spoke the best English.)

The room was clean and spacious. Obviously, if you are considering staying here you should look at their official website. I love the modern design. It isn't for everyone. If you look at their site you will know instantly if it is for you.

As others have mentioned, the bed is firm. I found this to be consistent throughout Spain. If you are fond of plush or pillow-top mattresses, you may need to find another hotel. The linens were quite nice. The safe in the room is free of charge and easy to use. A laptop would easily fit inside. The mini bar is well stocked and reasonably priced. The apples they leave daily are a nice touch. They also leave a weather card for you so you know what to expect the next day. The flat screen TV is small, but fine for the room. They have 3 English speaking channels (SkyNews, BBC and CNN.) NOTE: If you want to watch movies, their is a DVD player built into the TV. They do not have an iron or ironing board in the room. They will send you one up...so plan ahead and know the Spanish word for iron. :)

They provide nice bathroom amenities (see pic). NOTE: They do not have conditioner. If you need it, bring it with you. Towels are plentiful. The only thing in the room that was not maintained was the tile in the bathroom. It had obviously been painted and was chipping off. It is quite noticeable because the rest of the hotel is so nicely maintained. The shower is on the small side, but the water pressure and shower head were both good. A really tall person might find it a bit cramped.

I had breakfast one morning in the breakfast area. It was really nice down there. It is a nice looking space. The food selection was plentiful (cereal, lots of yummy pastries, meats, cheeses, potato/tortilla/ cheese fritatta type thing- great, juices, teas, yogurt, etc.). There were 3 people servicing the area and it wasn't crowded. They also provide English language newspapers.

The location is quite good. Room Mate Laura is an easy walk from the Palace, Plaza del Sol, Plaza Mayor, Plaza de Santa Ana etc. I found the hotel's area to be quieter and still easily accessible. The Room Mate Alicia is on a great corner on the Plaza de Santa Ana. I loved the location, but imagine it would be noisier. Room Mate Mario is a couple of blocks from Room Mate Laura in the same general area. It is also in a good location, but on a quiet street.

Across from Room Mate Mario is a restaurant called Chic. The front desk at Room Mate Laura is quick to recommend it and they know what they are talking about. It is an easy 3 minute walk from the hotel and a great modern, Spanish restaurant. There is a bar in the front if you want to eat casually. Pedro, the owner, is unbelievably nice and accommodating. Miguel, the chef, is fantastic and even recommended other restaurants to try in Madrid and in Barcelona. They were some of the nicest people I met in Spain. The food is exceptional. The carmalized goat cheese with foie foam is a must-try. They have a great wine list and are quick to recommend local favorites. I went back twice and would recommend it to anyone who likes the new modern cooking in Spain.

Overall, Room Mate Laura is a great hotel. I found the price to be very reasonable for what I got. It is the perfect hotel for someone who really just needs a nice room to sleep in, a nice breakfast in the morning and someone to give them directions and suggestions. If you are looking for a luxury hotel with a pool, spa, etc...this isn't for you.

I -really- want to rate it higher, but...

by TripAdvisor Member radio71

I really want to rate the Room Mate Laura higher. I really do! It has so much going for it: great location, great vibe, great decor. But, I just can't get past some basic flaws: our room was noisy, and the bed was -very- uncomfortable.

Pluses: wonderful location, very nice staff (all spoke perfect English), nice breakfast with good coffee and food selection, super-stylish decor, "duplex" rooms are huge (on two floors) and very funky, very good restaurant right across the street. Good price.

Minuses: room (at front of hotel, overlooking street) was noisy, and bed was rock hard and uncomfortable.

Can't say I'd go back to -this- hotel, but I'd definitely stay in the general area where it's located.

everything you read is true

by TripAdvisor Member PQOTD

Before heading to madrid, i was reading reviews about Laura on trip advisor.

the general vibe from the reviews was - cool decor, not much facilities, service not great - except for front desk which was good and great location.

I saw pictures of the decor and fell in love with the place.

It is very cool decor... but I have to be honest, I did miss a gym, pool and room service like other hotels would normally have. The breakfast service also wasn't great, dirty plates lying around, etc.

But as far as other hotel rooms go - it's very cool. It's more like a small one-bed apartment really.

so in a nutshell, i would say:

if you're looking for a funky place in the heart of the city - GO!
if you love your little luxuries like room service and pools/jacuzzis.. don't.

Snazzy hotel, great value for money!

by TripAdvisor Member Eluppo

We stayed at this hotel for a break over Easter and were more than impressed! The room was a good size, and was well equipt with four wardrobes (good for all the shopping!). The decor was pretty cool too, made it feel as though we were staying in an almost 'boutique' hotel, even though we had paid budget prices for the rooms. The hotel itself was immaculate, and the room was cleaned to a decent standard every day.

The breakfast was good - we thought it the selection was extensive and were able to stock up on food to keep us going well into the afternoon! We were also impressed that breakfast was served til noon which meant we could sleep in until we wanted. The buffet was always neat and constantly replenished.

The staff were also helpful, as others have mentioned - on the day we left they were willing to open the restaurant early for us to have breakfast (our flight was in the morning). The fact that it had no bar or restaurant made it a no-fuss hotel, and with so many facilities nearby there would really be no need.

The road works were still ongoing at the time of our stay, but everything needs updating once in a while, and as another reviewer wrote, they are temporary and didn't have an effect on our stay. All in all a great hotel in an amazing city! Highly recommended!

If you want style, you've got it!

by TripAdvisor Member Barts60

We arrived on the Thursday evening for a long weekend. At first we did have a shock of the front steps, I have a mobility scooter and it doesn't climb stairs! The staff were quick to offer an alternative entrance that had a lift into the building. This was via the underground private car park, and operated by remote control. The remote opened the gates and called the lift automatically and opening the doors. The lift is for cars to go down to the car park. From the car park level there is another lift to go up into the rest of the hotel. Because of the inconvenience of having to go around this way we were upgraded to a pentouse suite, which was great for my vehicle being so roomy. There is no upper level on a mezzanine like other rooms and a larger shower room, so disabled user friendly. The only difficulty was the narrow corridor when getting out of the lift, manouvering was tight! Although if one has a problem with using the shower or loo there wasn't much space for another person to help, and no wheelchair space at all. Yes this area is noisy at night, the Madridians party all night, finally going quiet around 5am!

Beautiful Spain

by Veronica79

I was in spain for 10 days, it was so beautiful me and my room mate (who i ALWAYS travel with) visited the beautiful beaches, it was such a great place, the people were good, climate was perfect and i got my first intense TAN ,yes i was darker than i ever have been, down in Australia, i merely got brown, but here i sizzled with the sunset.

A place to stay

by Borrador

I am looking forward to stay in Madrid for three month or so, I need recommendations where to stay or if some one needs a room mate for such a long time. I will be arriving to Madrid on the sixth of April, please advice.

Re: A place to stay

by roamer61

Check my page on Hotel Regente in my Madrid Pages.

roamer61