Campomanes 4, Madrid, Madrid, 28013, Spain

Booking.com Orbitz.com Expedia.com

Costs 44% more than similarly rated 2 star hotels

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

Really nice and centrally located place.

I stayed a few days at the Room mate Mario in july 2009 and was very happy there.
    The room was nice and equipped with what i would expect for a hotel of that price.
    The whole interior at the hotel is really cool design and it was really a joy hanging out there.
    Reception staff was always friendly and humorous and i really felt welcome there during my stay.
    And the central location makes it the perfect place to stay if you have a few days in Madrid where you want to sightsee.

Directions: About 100 meters from the metro station Opera.

• Belsaita's Profile Photo

stylish, comfortable... and affordable

I just came back from a fabulous weekend in Madrid, a mini VTmeet. After recommendation by Teresa (Tere1) who used this hotel before, a few VTrs were staying at Room Mate Mario hotel. We all were so pleased! Brand new, stylish, clean, free wi-fi (and internet point at the lobby), good breakfast and above all excellent location. Definitely more than you expect for a 2* hotel, for a more than reasonable price (for Madrid)

My room had no views (windows to a tiny and ugly interior patio), but who goes to Madrid to stay in a hotel room? it was very quiet and I did sleep very well all 3 nights... just a few hours every night but it was not the hotel's fault!

It definitely will be my first choice next time I'm going to Madrid for sure, or others of the same chain (RM Laura was a couple of blocks away, and we saw RM Oscar while wandering around Chueca)

Directions: 2 min walking to Opera metro station

• marielexoteria's Profile Photo

Classy boutique hotel

VT tere1 recommended Room Mate Mario for our Madrid VT meet and she couldn't have chosen a better place.

The hotel is very centric, about 3 minutes to Ópera metro station. The exterior of the building might not say much, but the interior wowed me, with a very sleek and modern design everywhere we went. Upon arrival, the check-in personnel was prompt to check us in and gave us a room on their first floor.

The room we got was a little bit on the small side but roomy enough for the 2 of us so I never felt like it was too crowded. We didn't have a view but then we barely had any street noise, and that was to prefer, considering that I wanted to sleep after a night of outings :) One thing I really liked about the room was the light panels by the bed. They were enough to light the room, so we barely used the "proper" lamps on the roof.

In the rate, a buffet breakfast was included, and wow was it a big buffet! Several kinds of bread (for toast, croissants, pastries), ham, cheese, fruit, several kinds of juice, tomato with olive oil (for making the oh-so-yummy pan con tomate), cereal, yoghurt, coffee and tea.

Last but not least, the staff was super friendly, and ultimately that's what would make me go back and stay at Mario.

Directions: Metro: Ópera.

• MM212's Profile Photo

Designer Boutique Hotel

Part of the stylish Room Mate hotel chain, Mario is one of several in Madrid. For the design-conscious among us, this hotel is heaven as it incorporates fashionable design elements in its rooms, lobby and dining room. Though simple and basic, the rooms are quite spacious and extremely comfortable, priced at €150 per night. The location is perfectly close to most of Madrid's major monuments, such as Plaza Mayor, Palacio Real and Gran Vía.

Directions: Just north of the opera (Teatro Real)

More about Room Mate Mario

Fading hipster in great location

by gilescorey about Hotel Mario

Part of the "Roommate" group of hotels, "Mario" is definitely one of the older in the series. Another lumbering 90's relic with a sleek Miami aesthetic, travelers can get a fairly stylish stay at a budget price.

The location is really unbeatable - just uphill from the "Opera" metro station, on a quiet, charming street. The staff was quite friendly, although the front desk was chronically understaffed(pretty typical Spanish mode of cost-cutting). On the bright side, the included breakfast was quite good, extensive, and served in an attractive dining room.

The room itself was a good size, and well-appointed as well.

It's not the trendsetter it once was(and the "named" format for the hotels is hella annoying), but at these prices, and in this location, you'll have no complaints. I would book it, again.

Excellent design hotel in central location

by TripAdvisor Member madam_bomb

Campomanes (it is also called Hotel Mario on here, although was never referred as that during our stay) is an excellent choice if you prefer a little design in your hotel. The rooms are small but so are most hotel rooms in Spain. We found it quite comfortable and the staff was more than helpful, recommending restaurants and sites to see. We were in an interior room with a light-well, so I can't say if the other street rooms would be "noisy". The hotel breakfast was great too, good to start the day. Bathrooms were clean and efficient. It's not a plush, luxurious place. Just a simple, well-designed, modern hotel in an old part of town, close to the Gran Via, the Opera and the Royal Palace.

One note: There is a very trendy restaurant next door. The food was good, but the service was capricious at best. Unless you're into the typical "star-f**ker" dining experience just skip it. The people (like a lot of Madrilenos) think they're so damn fabulous for absolutely no reason.

Great hotel, should be ranked higher

This hotel is a few steps from the Opera station which is extremely convenient. That means its walking distance to the Plaza Mayor, Palace Real and Puerto del Sol and some other tourist attractions. The hotel has a very modern feel. It seems newly renovated although they could have done a better job sound proofing the rooms cause we could hear people in the hallways loud and clear. We were in room 205 which was quite small, bascially enough room to hold a double bed. However, for 99 euro a night including breakfast, we thought it was a good deal. I would definately recommend this hotel. Madrid is a nice city, but I think it could be done in 2 days. Save more time for Barcelona.

Enjoyable experience at HH.

by TripAdvisor Member jwall

My wife and I stayed 3 nights at the HH Campomanes. It is a smaller hotel with a contemporary feel. Not a lot of amenities but a nice hotel. The staff was courteous and efficient. We arrived around 12 noon and our room was ready. The minimalist decor is good.

PROS: Location - right near the Palacio Real. A few steps from the Opera metro station. A great contemporary restaurant right next door (Vida Blanca). Good continental breakfast. Price (99 euros per night with breakfast) through their internet site.

CONS: They charge 3 euros per day for the in room safe. Small shower. No bar which would be nice in the lobby to enjoy the cool lobby area, which otherwise goes unused.

I would recommend this hotel.

View on lightwell

by TripAdvisor Member BernardLondonUK

This hotel has 30 rooms, out of which 25 have views on lightwells and five on the street. These lightwells are approximately 3m by 3m wide and they certainly do not qualify as internal courtyards. So if you want to know the weather outside you can check it through internet thanks to the flat screen in the bedroom.
Do not trust them if they guarantee you a room on the street. In my case I had a guarantee for a room on a high floor with a view. I got a room on the first floor with a lightwell.
When I reserved, they never bothered to tell me that no room had views, and that the best you can have is a room on the street.
In the 19th century area of Madrid, there are plenty of hotels similarly priced (€99 per room) with excellent natural lighting, and they do not try to deceive you on what you get.

One for Ikea fans

by TripAdvisor Member reading222

The lobby is comparable to a boutique hotel, with black marble and it makes a great first impression. However, the rooms do not quite match the quality of the rest of the hotel. Ikea Madrid clearly did good business when they fitted out this place! The rooms are stylish, but some of the fittings are starting to look a bit dated and frayed around the edges. However, the hotel was being refurbished whilst we were visiting so these points may be addressed.

On the plus side, the location is excellent, right in the centre of Madrid, the staff all spoke English and the rooms were very clean. For €99 including a decent breakfast, the value can not be faulted.

Hotel Mario, bathHotel Mario, bath

Christmas

by redentas

We are arriving in Madrid on Dec. 24 but would prefer to experience Christmas Eve and Christmas Day in a small town within 100 miles (we are driving). Any suggestions?

by Belsaita

Christmas is a family celebration in Spain. No idea what you have in mind, but IMHO a small town may be not the best idea, your "experience" may be basically of a ghost town. Usually there are no special public activities and everything will be closed on 24 afternoon/night and 25 all day. At least in a big city, everything will be closed but there are still some things to do. Maybe there is a town near Madrid where they do something of interest on these dates, but not that I'm aware of.

by GrumpyDiver

I you are looking for a very attractive town, check out Avila (it's a UNESCO world heritage site). Absolutely stunning walled town. I was there in mid-March (cold and windy), so I don't know what Christmas would be like. I think it is about 100+ km / 60 or 70 miles from Madrid.

The other town that we also enjoyed was Segovia (also a UNESCO world heritage site). We visited it on the same trip in March. It was a in a very beautiful setting, with the castle and aqueduct. Again, I think the distances would be in the 100 km / 60 mile range.

Re: Christmas in Madrid

by redentas

Thanks to those who answered my query about Christmas in Spain. I think the concensus is that we will spend the 24th and 25th in Madrid rather than in a small town. Now, does anyone have a favorite small hotel in Madrid that is not too expensive? Is there a Christmas midnight mass in Madrid?

by Belsaita

I just spend a fabulous weekend in Madrid. I (and a few other VTrs) were staying at Room Mate Mario hotel. We all were so pleased! Brand new, clean, more than you expect for a 2* hotel, nice breakfast and excellent location. It will be my first choice next time I'm going to Madrid for sure, or others of the same chain (RM Laura was a couple of blocks away, and we saw RM Oscar while wandering around Chueca)
www.room-matehotels.com
(this reminds me I've to write a tip, maybe others on the party already did!)

No idea where will be the best church to attend the Christmas midnight mass, maybe others may help (probably better if you put a new Q, more will read it)

Comments