San Antonio De La Florida

Po Florida 13, Madrid, Madrid 28008

More about San Antonio De La Florida

San Antonio de la Florida, Goya's resting place

by Jefie

Dedicated to Saint Anthony of Padua, San Antonio de la Florida was built towards the end of the 18th century. In 1798, Goya was commissioned by the King of Spain to paint its ceiling and it took the painter only six months to complete this beautiful piece of work. Inside the dome, Goya created a bucolic scene in which the people of Madrid gather around to watch Saint Anthony perform a miracle. The colors are soft and pleasant, and it is quite easy to admire the paintings thanks to the large mirrors that have been placed underneath the dome and vaults.

Goya died in Bordeaux (France) in 1828 and almost a century later, in 1919, his body was buried at San Antonio de la Florida. In 1928, a new identical church was built just beside it, so that the former could be turned into a museum. It is open from 10:00 am to 8:00 pm everyday, except Mondays. Admission is free.

The most beautiful Church of Madrid

by dr.firas

The most beautiful Church of Madrid in my opinion is this one: San Antonio de la Florida-Goya, wonderful architecting in both the interior and exterior sight views, it is simply a wonderful thing to see and visit in Madrid ;-D

The wonderful church in Madrid

by dr.firas

San Antonio de la Florida-Goya is for sure the most special and wonderful church in Madrid, I liked it and it was attractive and inviting you to entre right after looking at the amazing beauty of it outside, well the decoration inside and the ceilling are fabulous!

The wonderful church in Madrid

The most beautiful

Ermita de San Antonio de la FloridaErmita de San Antonio de la Florida

San Antonio de la Florida celebrationSan Antonio de la Florida celebration

San Antonio de la Florida churchSan Antonio de la Florida church

interior of San Antonio de la Floridainterior of San Antonio de la Florida

Inexpensive but safe hostel for one night

by lomi

I have seen many suggested hotels on this site. However we are only in Madrid one night whilst wait for a flight to Venice the next morning. Can anyone advise a good place to sleep, and inexpensive, in Madrid? Preferably near the airport. We are in our 50's.

Thanking you.

by suvanki

Hi, I stayed in Hostal Astoria for 2 nights last month, which cost me 96.20 euros (£76). It was a 2* hotel and was very clean and comfortable and very central - This was room only, but there were plenty of places for breakfast nearby. Please check my Madrid page for more info and photos. Hostals in Spain are 2-3* hotels, as opposed to the more basic hostels. I usually book through Venere.com, Bookings.com or Hostalz.com etc.
This hostal was near to the Metro (Sol) so quite handy for connections to the airport.
Have A Great Trip! Madrid and Venice are 2 of my favourite cities. Please feel free to contact me for more info.
Best Wishes,
Sue x

by lomi

Thank you for your speedy response & recommendations! I will defintely look at the sites immediately.

by virtual786

I was unable and disappointed not being able to get a room at the El Catalan; maybe you'll have better luck. This place is really great. A short walk from the metro station (Gran Via),spotlessly clean, refrig in room.You must call or fax for a reservation request. I stayed there in February and June.

I will be going to Madrid again for 2 days, early next month. I found a place called Hostal San Jose through www.softguides.com, which sounds really good.

I stayed at a hostal called Splendid about 2 years ago, that I also booked through softguides. This place was veryclose to the Gran Via station.

All 3 of these places were really fine and Very inexpensive. 96 Euros sounds like a fortune for a room in a hostel anywhere, particularly in Madrid, but I live on U.S. dollars; what a disadvantage.

by Roadquill

For an inexpensive place that is downtown Madrid you may want to look at El Busca del Tiempo (on my VT page), if you decide to stay in Madrid central as opposed to by the airport. YOu don't say when you arrive or when you leave. My friend found an inexpensive place by the airport and never got to experience walking around Madrid in the evening. If you have an extra 40 minutes to take the metro to town and get a place and then 40 minutes to get back to the airport in the morning I strongly recommend it. Karl

by suvanki

Hi again! Perhaps I should have mentioned that Hostals in Spain are not the same as Hostels- they are more like a 2-3* hotel and I paid 96 euros for 2 nights single accommodation with en-suite.
Sue X

by suvanki

Ooops! Reread my original reply where I had pointed out difference between Hostals and Hostels, after noticing and responding to Virtual 786's comment- Apologies!
Sue X