Senator Gran Via

Orbitz.com Booking.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• keeweechic's Profile Photo

Hotel Senator Gran

The Hotel Senator Gran is on the famous stretch called the Gran Via and is handy to restaurants, cafe's, the theatare and a lot of the main tourist attractions. The main train station is also only around 5 mins away from the hotel. The hotel offers 136 rooms furnished in a modern and elegant style. The rooms have satellite TV, safe, coffee maker, mini bar, ironing boards and internet access. There is a bar, coffee shop and restaurant which include house specialties, buffet and a large variety of tapas.

More about Senator Gran Via

Senator Gran Via gets our vote!

We stayed at the Senator Gran Via for a week at the very end of September, 2005. We selected it after spending many hours online and in guidebooks, trying to find just the right place to stay for our first trip to Spain. The reviews posted here were a big factor, and they were right on target - thanks to all who posted. We really enjoyed our stay at the Senator Gran Via and our time in Madrid.

Positives about the hotel: Easy online booking at their website, very quiet rooms despite being in a lively area; free minibar (water, beer, soda); friendly staff that spoke English; super clean rooms; large bathroom with good water pressure and plenty of hot water; and a great location close to Puerta del Sol and Plaza Mayor and right next to the super easy-to-use subway.

Not quite as positive: The waitstaff at breakfast weren't overly friendly or helpful; the area around the hotel had a number of "ladies of the evening" (we counted 33 our last afternoon!) but they weren't really bothersome and that situation is out of the control of the hotel; and....nothing more than that.

We paid the extra money for the breakfast and found it to be a nice option. Our Spanish is very limited and it was much easier to eat there than to try and find a cafe and order first thing in the morning. The breakfast included pastries, fruits, cheeses, sliced meats etc.

Other things we enjoyed on our Spain trip include: day trips via bus to Toledo and Segovia (we like Segovia better, but both were neat), great sangria in a cave bar near the Botin restaurant, the Royal Palace guided tour; and the Madrid Vision bus tours. With our phrase book, we got along just fine even though we barely speak any Spanish.

Overall, a great hotel in a great place to visit!! They even sent up a bottle of champagne and a basket of fruit when they found our we were there to celebrate our anniversary! We were impressed.

Plaza Red de San Luis

by keeweechic

The Red de San Luis is also known as Calle del Clavel and is found near the intersection of Gran Via and Calle de la Montera. On this circle Hotel Senator Gran Via, the Metropole Hostel, a large McDonalds with a McCafe and other food outlets.

charming hotel

We have just returned from Madrid at the Senator Gran Via. The hotel is lovely and It´s in the heart of this noisy city

Tenerfe, Spain

A great hotel on the Great Way

by TripAdvisor Member CaptainH

The Hotel Senator Gran Via was not at all what I expected. It was better.

I travelled to Madrid for the first time last month for a week-long business trip. The Gran Via offered an excellent location and a reasonable rate, so I took a chance, and I am so glad I did.

Let's begin with the location. The Gran Via is located, appropriately enough, on the Gran Via - the main thoroughfare of Madrid's shopping, entertainment, and historical center. It is a beautiful street and bustles with activity night and day. Restaurants and shops surround the hotel. Leave the hotel and turn left, and in about half a mile you will reach the theater district; turn right, and in half a mile you will reach the museum district. Or you could walk fifteen feet from the hotel entrance and enter the Gran Via Metro station. From there for one euro you can go anywhere in Madrid. What more could you ask?

Well, at the Gran Via, you could ask for - and receive - great amenities. My single room was small, in typical European fashion, but perfectly appointed. There was a handy work area featuring a desk, TV, tea kettle, and stereo. The cunningly organized closet contained an iron and board, safe, extra linens, and storage space. In true eurostyle, the bathroom came complete with a bidet. Lovely french doors opened to my very own tiny balcony overlooking the Via - the perfect place to relax on a warm autumn evening. And the minibar, stocked with beer, juice, and water, was free and restocked daily!

Amenities are nothing without comfort, and here the Gran Via excels. The bed was very comfortable, with an electric control to raise and lower it. In the spacious marble bathroom, the shower was refreshing. And best of all, the room was soundproofed! Although I perched directly above one of the busiest streets of Madrid, when the french doors and curtains were closed, I heard and saw...absolutely nothing. I have never slept so well away from home.

From the outside, the Gran Via preserves the lovely period architecture of central Madrid. Inside, the hotel is built around a central atrium full of diffuse light and the soothing sound of flowing water. Glass elevators or an artistic spiral staircase take you to your floor.

I ate dinner twice at the hotel restaurant and was quite impressed at the quality of the reasonably-priced classical European menu. With selections ranging from cheese to muesli, the restaurant breakfast was generous as well. There is also a bar, which in the Spanish style serves breakfast pastries early and tapas late.

As a business traveler, I appreciated the convenience of free local and toll-free calls (a perk quickly disappearing from many hotels) as well as in-room high-speed internet access (for a typical European price: high). There is no gym or pool, although I was told that guests could get access to the gym at a sister hotel, the Senator Espana. Nor is there a business center - I had to venture to a tobacco shop to get stamps for my postcards. Ah, well, it's a small hotel!

The Gran Via staff are multilingual and friendly. From the moment of my ragged and jetlagged arrival, I felt soothed and welcomed. What a lovely place to call home for a week.

Although I was not in Madrid as a tourist, I did take a few excursions to the great sights of Madrid. It is a wonderful city for walking - the weather, the layout, and the people all agree. From the Gran Via, the great sights of Madrid are all within a pleasant stroll. I highly recommend visiting the Prado, shopping near the Plaza Major, and exploring around the Plaza de Orient and Palacio Real. For an off-the-beaten-track destination, consider the Museo Naval, located on the way to the Prado. Featuring the ships and artifacts of Spain's years as the pre-eminent naval empire and the discoverer of the New World, it gave me a different perspective on the history I learned in school. And it's free!

My visit convinced me that I need to come back to Madrid soon - next time as a tourist to enjoy the sunny weather, the fabulous sights, the lovely people, and the wonderful Hotel Senator Gran Via.

Totally Won Over by the Comfort & Service

We booked at the Senator Gran Via for our final 2 days in Spain based on the reviews at Tripadvisor. I have to admit that initally I was disappointed in the hotel -- there is not much of a lobby area and it seemed just a little seedy and in need of a facelift. Also, we had asked for a room with a double bed instead of 2 beds pushed together. In Spain, this is typically a room for an individual and I found it too small for a couple -- especially since one of us (me) travels with a huge suitcase.

I went down to the desk and they showed me another room -- I had to convince my boyfriend to move since he was already unpacked and comfortable. While not all that much larger, the second room had a much better feel and I was pleased with it -- the decor, the little balcony, and the amenities. My impressions of the hotel improved from there.

First of all, we had the absolute most comfortable bed I have had anywhere, complete with a choice of pillow sizes (a pillow menu is in the room and they immediately brought my pillow order) and controls to adjust the bed to a sitting position. Also, the shower in the bathroom had super water pressure and was also the best we experienced on our trip.

The lighting in the room and bathroom was excellent, and I especially appreciated the reading lamps by the bed.

The desk staff was marvelous and all spoke perfect English. There was some confusion about the rate -- I had booked thru an on-line travel service (not at their website, my mistake) and saw a better rate for our first night on their website before I left. I had emailed them about it, but had not received a response. The wonderful young man at the front desk suggested we check in and relax. When I next went down, he informed me that he had spoken to the Manager and adjusted the rate. We paid 103 euros the first night and 118 for the second (a weekend night). The rates included a very good breakfast buffet.

Oh, I should also mention that there is a shuttle bus to the airport (6 euros/person) that stops at the hotel hourly.

Good Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Orangecrush2

Great hotel and rooms. Really enjoyed it, only had one issue.

We came in early (flights from US tend to get in around 9am or so) and they gave us a room right away, but it was a handicap room with no bath...just a shower. We were fine with this because they said the hotel was booked and that was the only one available. No problem, but what was odd was that during our three night stay there was no one in the room next store (our bathroom window overlooked that room and its balcony) and the hotel didn't seem booked at all.

It was not really a problem, because the room and balcony were great, and location is wonderful for exploring the city. I was just was looking forward to a nice bath after the long trip from Los Angeles!

Good Hotel, Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member GrayokExplorer

The hotel was well-situated for walking and taking the subway. The amenities of the hotel were worth the expense. Also, the rooms on the top floor were breath-taking and worth the additional expense to have the balcony. The hotel is on a busy intersection.

Beware that if you are walking to the hotel in the evening you will have to walk a gauntlet of prostitutes and scam-artists. Don't pay them any attention and get to your destination and all will be okay! I always felt safe in the area despite the unwanted nightly burlesque shows!!

excellent!!!!!! stay there!

by TripAdvisor Member Spencertraveller

Superb - from the minute I walked in. Fab service, staff, spoke english (SURPRISING FOR MADRID!) and got my request of high floor. You cant beat location - superb and centrally located indeed.

Room was big and nice bed, quite firm and a free mini-bar - YES! you read right, a free mini bar ! Very clean indeed and nice, comfortable indeed.

Drawbacks- regardless of whether its one person in a room, a hotel should NEVER place one towel in a bathroom. Breakfast is quite big indeed and nice.

When next in Madrid, I will be staying here!

Gran Via Grand Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Ronco

This is a good quality hotel in a very central location, helpfull staff and good clean rooms with excelent facilities. It is well located for all amenities. Don't turn left out of the hotel as there is a lot of hookers on the street leading to port del sol however go up a block and you miss them. Would definatley stay again as it was very good value for money

hotel senator gran via and hotel senador spa is this one or two hotels

by cello17

i have booked a room in the hotel senador spa espana for 3 nights in september i now see that there is another hotel hotel senator in the gran via does anyone know if these are two hotels or just one hotel with different descriptions going by the reviews i really want to stay at the senator hotel gran via and not the spa hotel please be kind enough to reply to my question if you have any knowledge of this one or is it two hotels thank you

Re: hotel senator gran via and hotel senador spa is this one or two hotels

by yvr

There are two hotels, the Hotel Sendador Spa Espana is located at c/Gran Via 70 and the Hotel Senator Gran Via is located at C/Gran Via 21, as one can see, the "word" senator and senador are not spelled the same.

Comments