T3 Tirol

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 31% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Madrid

Calle Gran Via, MadridCalle Gran Via, Madrid

The 17th Century Town Hall - still in useThe 17th Century Town Hall - still in use

statuesstatues

Chocolate con churrosChocolate con churros

Transport around airport area and Madrid center.

by travelnut71

Hi. I will be in Madrid for only a few days. We are a family with 2 kids but we don't think it's worth it to rent a car and drive ourselves crazy in Madrid. I have a few options if someone can help me... first, I'd like to mention that I prefer a clean new construction hotel and not the seedy downtown ones... just to say.. I don't need a 4 star but I'd like a reputable one, maybe 3 should suffice.
Having said that, here are the options:

1) Book a hotel near the airport area. In this case I need a hotel that has shuttle service. Do they offer this? Are the areas around the hotels safe? If I go with this option, assuming I will have a shuttle to the hotel. Then let's say I'd like to go visit around, are there shuttles regularly to take the metro downtown?

2) Let's say I book a hotel closer to downtown.. I heard there is a shuttle bus that gives relatively good price from the airport and it's door to door? How reliable are these?

Thanks.

PS Any recommendations of hotels near the airport and center would be also appreciated!

by Roadquill

There is no reason to stay near the airport. My opinion is that it is a complete waste. There are many great hotels in the city center. Most of the shuttle services can take you right up to the hotels, but they are not free. I would suspect that the hotels who advertise shuttle service also charge for this service. As for hotels, I like the TRYP Cibeles on Gran Via. My bro in law liked it and my family liked it. Clean, modern, security guard, great service. When I visit Madrid during the summer I like the Emperador also on Gran Via as it has a pool on the roof with a view of the Palace. I am not a big fan of the hotels around Sol as it is too noisy and busy. Karl

by hawkhead

I'm with Raodq - if you stay at the airport you will spend ages commuting to and fro. Also, you will totally miss the ambience of Madrid.

by Belsaita

Full agree with the other answers.

Besides, a hotel downtown should not be old and seedy, there are many new/refurbished hotels in the city center!

The hotels that offer "free" shuttle will most probably be charging this in the price rooms. I will just choose an hotel that suits your needs, in the city center, and take a taxi there. At the end of the day it will probably cost the same.

When in Madrid I'd used the Room Mate hotels, there are a few and all very central, trendy and stylish but not expensive. When I have been for business I'd stayed at hotels of the NH or Catalonia chains (more expensive, but of course you get what you pay for). For instance NH Nacional, NH Paseo del Prado, Catalonia Gaudi and Catalonia Las Cortes are very well located for tourist purposes.

www.room-matehotels.com
www.nh-hoteles.es
www.hoteles-catalonia.com

by KakapoTheParrot

We stayed in one of the many hotels near Plaza de Espana when our daughter was small. Looking round venere.com hotel prices in the area still seem OK. It's short walk round to royal palace and the parkland behind, as well as being close to the main shopping area. I think we pre-booked a car to get us to the hotel, then just used a taxi back (the hotel sorted that for us).

by Roadquill

I noted that Pedro listed two of the Vincci hotels (I think the Urban changed its name). I have stayed at the Vincci hotels in Valencia and Lisbon and I found them great hotels, great rooms and staff. Breakfast was included, but I don't know if that is the case in Madrid. I took a look at the room prices for the 5 hotels in Madrid and they averaged well less than 100 euro. 2 were on Gran Via, 1 in Salamanca and the other two by the museums. Karl

by StellainSpain

Hi
In my opinion too, you can have lots of options in the center of the city.I found one website helpful in finding me hotels in Madrid during my stay there, I am sure you will also find some best option from that http://www.myspainholidays.com

Thanks,
Stella

Travel Tips for Madrid

Beware of your shoes

by Enamorada

Walk, walk all over. Is the best way to know Madrid or for that matter any city. But in Madrid I felt pretty safe.
Now, wear a good pair of shoes. Its people, their culture, their food and its Monuments. I loved their parks, and would love to go back soon.
What I missed the most is the "Enjoy Life" feeling is everywhere.

Almond Leche Flan

1 (5 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
6 egg yolks
1 tablespoon almond extract
Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, cook sugar with water, stirring, until melted and light brown. Pour into a flan pan or cake mold, tilting to coat the bottom of the pan. Set aside.
In a bowl, gently whisk together evaporated milk, condensed milk, egg yolks and almond extract, being careful not to incorporate any air into the mixture. Pour into prepared pan, and tap on the counter to remove any bubbles.
Line a roasting pan with a damp kitchen towel. Place baking dish on towel, inside roasting pan, and place roasting pan on oven rack. Fill roasting pan with water to reach halfway up the sides of the baking dish.
Bake in preheated oven 45 to 50 minutes, until set. Let cool completely.
To unmold, run a knife around the edges of the pan and invert the flan onto a rimmed serving platter. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight before serving.

Sardines burial

by ger4444

Entierro de la Sardiena is a feast wher they celebrate the end of abstinence of eating during the 40 days before Eastern. It is a dress competion lead by members of the Burial of the Sardine Brotherhood who are dressed in funeral clothes and lead the procession. The feast originates in the 19 th century, started by a group of students.

Las Vistillas

by agarcia

Between La Almudena Cathedral and San Francisco el Grande Church, lays the beautiful and surprisingly underrated park of Las Vistillas, a name that could be translated as something like "small views", though the things that could be seen from there had little of small. Indeed, I personally found the perspective of La Almudena much more imposing from this point that from the feet of the building... all of them in a relatively quiet environment with little traffic and plenty of green areas. Definitely not a bad place to be in :-)

Not to be missed is the simply spectacular summer terrace that could be find on the top of the park; enjoying a drink while witnessing a sunset over the Cathedral could be accounted, imho, among Madrid’s finest attractions.

The park could be found between Calle Bailen and Calle Segovia, in La Latina district. Metro La Latina or Opera.

Calle de las Huertas (Huertas Street)

by Redang

A lively street especially on the weekends.

In the city centre, the street goes from Paseo del Prado to Plaza del Angel.

Metro: Sol (lines 1, 2 and 3), Sevilla (line 2), Antón Martín (line 1), the closest, although once you are at Puerta del Sol, you can find it easily with your map or just asking.

Comments