Tineo Hotel

Victoria 6, Madrid, 28012, Spain
Hostal Matheu
Expedia.com Booking.com Hotels.com

More about Madrid

View from the trainView from the train

Palacio de Comunicaciones, Madrid, December 2002Palacio de Comunicaciones, Madrid, December 2002

Inside the Rey Samsa LibreriaInside the Rey Samsa Libreria

Fuente de NeptunoFuente de Neptuno

can you give me a tip on a quaint hotel in Old Madrid?

by tarheelblue

Wife and I are spending a few days in Madrid; late February. Interested in tapas areas between Sol and Santa Ana; so Las Letras seems to make sense. But I don’t want to be too far over towards the Prado, as we also plan to explore La Latina.

So, can anyone recommend a quaint, decent priced hotel in Las Letras? I have already investigated and/or contacted some places from Maribel’s Guide and we have a couple we like at least from their sites; but the “Room Mate” type hotels don’t appeal to me; too "hip." Vinccis are too cold feeling.

I know "hostal" in Spain is not like a youth "hostel," but the ones I have viewed, although they have some character due to being smaller and likely family run....many seem a little too mom-and-pop and appear to lack some privacy. Like its one big flat almost segmented into bedrooms.

I want something in the middle so to speak. Not too chic, not too dumpy. 80-120E range, but I am flexible.

I like Las Letras from what I have read....saw some stuff further afield, but Opera area is not appealing, and Gran Via is too busy.
Older area, older building…with some character; not the 1970s style brick façade, if you know what I mean.

I want a place in a nice area with tapas and bars in high concentration, within short walk. Cute neighborhood, jangled side streets.....what I think of as “old Madrid.”

Cheers,

BK

by sirgaw

Try this apartment hotel - http://www.atprincipe11.com/ Very close to Sol and in a narrow plenty-of-character street. Large room and has all that you need for self catering.

by tarheelblue

thank you! yes that street is quite cute. the hotel itself is pretty nondescript outisde, I must say. kinda like a US "motel"

by sirgaw

From the outside its not that much to look at. The entrance to the apt hotel is nothing more than a corridor which ends at a flight of stairs around an ancient elevator. The rooms are huge compared with other places we stayed. It was a good price compared to other places too. Supermarket about 5 minutes walk away.

thanks guys!

Travel Tips for Madrid

Fountains

by jamiesno

One of my favorite things I remember about walking Madrid was all the water fountains.

Here in this picture I am in front of a small one. I don't remember if it has any significance or not.

But trust me as you explore the city there are fountains all over the place and they are all beautiful :-)

Enjoy Madrid.

NEW YEARS

by parsix

Amena is one of the big mobile companies in Spain. In New Years Eve they give out this hats for free in Plaza Mayor.

Kindness? Don't think so. It is a very smart advertising strategy. Everyone attending "Plaza del Sol" for the countdown will be wearing the hats and this will be broadcast all over the country.

Plaza de Tirso de Molina (Tirso de Mol¡na Square)

by Redang

There is a flower market here apart from the beautiful streets that surround this square.

Metro: Tirso de Molina (line 1).

The third pic is the statue of Tirso de Molina, old Spanish writer.
The fourth pic is Calle de la Espada (Espada Street).
The last, Calle del Mesón de Paredes.

Fun Wine Shop by the Plaza Mayor

by Lorro about La Carte des Vins

A wine shop offering a nice variety of Spanish wines representing many of 63 wine regions in Spain. They also have a selection of international wines. Its great because its so convenient for travellers and besides the Corte Ingles its the best wine shop in the center! Also one of the owners is a young friendly American woman who has lived in Madrid for about 8 years and knows a ton about Spanish wine. And you'll have no problems with the language barrier! Tuesday nights there are wine tasting courses starting at 8.30pm but you have to reserve a spot ahead of time. It costs only 15 euros to try and learn about 5 wines. MM!

This shop is part of a chain which has about 4 or 5 other shops throughout the city, thus the French name... Vino Espanol!! The great thing about Spain´s wines is the price to quality ratio. You can get a great 5 euro wine and up from there!!

LA BOTELLITA

by parsix

This place has been around for two years or so. Here you will find the typical yupie Spaniard: Kaki pants, long sleeve shirt, and the Polo sweater.
Botellita stands for "little bottle" in Spanish. Well, in case you didn't get it, the place only stocks miniature bottles. So this is the exact portion you will be served.
Smaller than average place, good music, intreasting crowd.
Another of my regulars when in Madrid.
They have open several locations, I go to the first one, in Serrano. Dress to impress.

Comments