3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

C Los Jazmines, San Agustin, 35100, ES

IFA Interclub Atlantic Hotel
Hotels.com Tingo.com Venere.com

Costs 25% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• Terrible! The worst holidays in my life!

Terrible, the worst holidays in my life. It´s impossible to sleep due the noise during the night (till 2/3 a.m.) and all day. When I made a complaint the hotel staff invite me to leave (without giving the payment back), what is incredible regarding that I din´t break any rule neither had an incorrect behaviour!!!!!!!!!! I´d never been treated this way in my life.

Unique Quality: Beautiful gardens

More about Ifa Interclub Atlantic

Hmmmmmmm

by TripAdvisor Member emmajt81

Stayed here for a long weekend in January - weather was gorgeous - probably the only place in Europe worth going to for a tan at that time of year!

I didn't book it, so didn't know anything about the hotel or resort before I went. Fairly quick to get to from the airport, check in staff were pleasant. Lots of Polish and German people staying in this hotel - don't know if it was just the time of year.

Anyways so got to our room, the corridor outside was carpetted, and was absolutely filthy and disgusting. This is why I never stay in anything less than a 4 star I told myself. Went into the room, and it wasn't really any better than the corridor. To be fair it was spacious enough, but pretty basic, looked clean-ish, but that was about it. Paid money to use the safe, which then wouldn't lock. No one would help us figure it out, and in the end we hid our belongings or took them with us, passports and things. Didn't get refunded for it either.

Our balcony was filthy as well, chairs were black, and our room overlooked a motorway, scenically decorated I might add with a shopping trolley, which was a nice added touch.

I'll add some nice comments in - the ground were nice, the gardens lovely, and the pool and the poolbar was really pretty and well looked after.

Back to the bads now - the restaurant left a lot to be desired; it was more like a 2 star hotel - canteen food (chips, burgers, nothing of any substance). And on our first night, we discivered we had been placed directly next to (one floor above but directly above) Disco Bora Bora. Which boomed with awful nineties music until the early hours. And when I say boomed, it felt as if you were in Disco Bora Bora. People hung about on the stairs outside the Disco (i.e. outside our room) all night which was a) noisy and b)i felt uncomfortable having hoards of teenagers smoking and drinking and getting drunk right outside my door. And I am a 24 year old girl so god knows what families would have thought. As we were only there for 2 more nights after this we decided against complaining.

The location was a bit dull too. The hotel is at the top of a long uphill road, with one tiny shop that sells barely anything, and a long walk back down the hill to the Spa that takes about 10-15 minutes one way. If you want to go out for something to eat and not eat in the hotel (which I'd advise against since it's pretty rubbish) - a walk from the hotel down to the restaurants (down the long road, past the Spa) takes about 30-40 minutes. Ridiculous. It's like you're isolated. There really aren't many restaurants either. San Augustin isn't really a very good resort in my opinion unless you're older and like to just stay in the hotel all the time.

The beach was again a 30-40 minute walk from the hotel, and on a glance from the top of the hill, looked pretty dark, wet, and not very nice. So we instead paid for a taxi (about 5 Euros) to Maspalomas Beach instead - which was lovely. Great beach, full of restaurants - a much more ideal resort to be staying in - either there or Playa Del Ingles.

All in all - I would not reccommend the IFA Interclub Atlantic to anyone.

Interclub not bad considering the reviews

by TripAdvisor Member Clurburuk

I stayed with my partner at the Interclub Atlantic between the 6-13th Jan 2007. It was a last minute deal and a surprise for my mum who didn't know we were coming to celebrate her birthday with her in Gran Canaria.
I'd read all the reviews and really wasn't expecting much when I arrived but can say I was pleasantly surprised with how nice it was.

The hotel is truly international there were guests from France, Germany, Italy, Holland, Spain, Ireland and of course the UK so they did well to try and please everybody.

Reception
We were greeted in reception and checked in smoothly, whilst at reception we paid fot the safety deposit box, this cost 2 euros a day which is very reasonable. The staff are very friendly and there was always someone there to assist you.

Room
We were in room 320 in Tara block. This block doesn't have the best of views and we faced the roads which was noisy at times, but when the patio door was closed it could hardly be heard.
It was windy whilst we were there and the only problem we had with the room was the window vents were damaged and had to be packed with towels to stop the drafts blowing through.
As there is no air con I'm sure the vents prove invaluble in August, just not in a windy January.
I can appreciate comments about the noise. Should you have to leave the door open overnight because there is no air con then it would prove quite noisy for light sleepers.
My mum and dad were in room 318 where the vent situation was far worse, the rep said the hotel were aware of the problem but weren't going to do anything.

Works not mentioned by tour operator
There was cosmetic work being done at the hotel, painting, changing doors, carpets etc it looked like they were slowly improving all the blocks, however I imagine Tara will be the last done. They kept disruption to a minimum and apart from the smell of paint you hardly noticed it.

Food and drinks
As we were All inclusive we sampled just about everything they had to offer.

Breakfasts - I think are always hit and miss, they can't cater for the traditional English breafast all the time (as some seem to think they should) so you would have scrambled, fried and boiled eggs alternated daily, sausage more like german sausage (the lighter coloured sausage is nearer the english kind) bacon in typically streaky spanish style and beans.
There was always an abundance of cereal, bread, cakes, fruit, yoghurts, pastries, cheese n ham selection and salad if you didn't fancy warm food.

The lunchtime menu was burger/chops/sausage etc with plenty of baps/bread, salad, chips and desserts - couldn't fault it.

Afternoon coffee and cake.
Advice on this - Kids love cake, old people love cake, everyone loves cake so if you want some don't go at 4.45 expecting there to be some! They lay on about 10 cakes (5 on each side of the bar) and replenish it twice. They are very generous sizes so it only takes 2 people to take half a cake. I would say go between 4.00 and 4.30 to have a chance, I imagine this decreases significantly in summer when there are more children around.
Ice cream was available although strictly this is for the children, i saw plently of "Big" kids walk of with some and not share it with kids!!

Evening menu was Italian, traditional canary island and chinese foods offered every night. No two nights seemed to have the same selection so there was plenty to try.
The salad bar was delicious and every night I had something from the selection.
Desserts were a plenty along with fresh fruit.
I found the food spot on and I had no complaints.

Drinks were available by machine (cordial, lager, wine and fizzy drinks) or by the bar for spirits and cocktails from 08:00-23:00

The shows and kids entertainment was o.k. - typical of any foreign hotel I've stayed in (birdey song, superman) and the activities through the day were also o.k. if you fancied being energetic.

The distance from the beach is a bit of a trek, especially for families with buggies as there are steep stairs or a long walk down the road to get to it. I enjoyed my daily dose of stair climbing and explored around the hotel on the paths and promenades.
San Agustin commercial centre is a good 20 minute walk with Playa Del Ingles around 50 minutes, my advice get a cab there its cheap and quick.

All in all a decent hotel for a 3 star. If you want a relaxing holiday away from the crowded beaches and towns this is a good hotel to be at.

no complaints from us!

by TripAdvisor Member shazzaEngland

my fiance and i booked to stay at the interclub atlantic in feb 2007. we were a bit worried after reading loads of bad reviews about the hotel but i have to say were pleasantly surprised.
we were put in graciosa block and the room was totally fine. it was clean, spacious, we had a clean fridge and a safe and a sunny balcony. the cleaners were friendly, i know people have complained about them cleaning the rooms too early but if you dont want to be woken up by them just put the do not disturb sign on the door! we did!
the corridoors were a bit tired and in need of some refurbishing but at the end of the day its just a corridoor!
other complaints have been that there is no air con. there is, but you have to hire it from reception it is not working automatically. you can hire all sorts of stuff from reception from cots to minibars.
the grounds of the hotel are absoloutely beautiful, and the pools were very clean, no problems getting sun loungers either.

ok, the food. seems alot of people have moaned about the food. well all i can say is we found it great!

breakfast - plenty of choice of continental (meats and cheeses), breads and pastries, cereal, yoghurts, fruits and cooked breakfast (yes the sausages are not like our english ones, but hello! you are not in england!!!) normal choice of hot/cold drinks.

lunch - choice of salad, different cooked veg, meats (main meat dishes change daily), chips, poatoes, soup, breads, cake, fruit and normal hot/cold drinks and alcoholic drinks.

dinner - pastas, pizza, all different vegtables, potatoes (mash, sauteed, or boiled and always chips ), different choice of at least 2 of the following each night: fish, chicken, pork, beef, lamb, rabbit (no joke!). chinese counter with selection changing daily.
plenty of salad to choose from, breads, soup, cake, fruits, cheese and biscuits, and a whole freezer with one side being really nice ice cream and the other side different sorbets. and the usual hot/cold and alcoholic drinks.

we ate some really nice meals during our stay, i recommend the peto fish(!) hake in corriander, spinach with bechemel sauce, mushrooms cooked in white wine, baby carrots with baby onions, i could go on! the night they served rabbit casserole was a bit of a shock, just avoid it and have something else! (unless you enjoy eating bunny)
the alcoholic drinks are self serve, beer on tap, wine on tap, any spirits have to be ordered from the bar. we had no problems getting served. however the bar man who resembles elvis took a bit of a dislike to me and just grunted at me every time i went to order a drink!! the pina coladas get the thumbs up with us and featured quite highly in our stay!! i wouldnt bother with the tequila sunrises, they dont taste anything like it. all soft drinks and water are all self serve. the bar closes at 11pm but this didnt bother us as we were drunk enough by then and had a fridge full of sangria! the entertainment is pretty poor but the team are trying hard! you can get a taxi out to find more nightlife for only a few euros.
i cant comment on the snacks as we were out nearly all day so never about to see them. if you get the chance to do the surf and turf, horse riding, or friday night bbq at sioux city i would say go do them. although the riding was a bit scary for a first time rider!
the beach is down over 150 steps and the sea is very rough but worth a look. try maspalomas and the sand dunes for better beachlife. its only about 10 euros there by taxi. or 2 euros by bus.
we had a great holiday, we will definately go back to the interclub atlantic, it was nothing like the bad reviews we had read.

What to expect after negative and positive reviews?

by TripAdvisor Member Diemel

We (family of 4 - kids 16/19 yr) stayed at the IFA Interclub for a week during Xmas.
After reading all the reviews we were a bit afraid about what to expect.
But when you expect nothing, you get a lot!
Like: A room with a view! Cost me nothing. We had a room on the highest floor, at the end of the building. Yes, on the street side. But with the door closed, no noise at all. And the view was far better than the rooms on the poolside.
The hotel dates from the 70's so renovation has to be done.
Plaster is broken at many places. Balcony must have had leakage.
We had a familyroom that gives enough space for the 4 of us.
Beds are still OK but are at end of life circle.
Garden is huge and well kept. Enough space for everyone. Free sunbeds.
At Xmas week there were 1200 guests. All inclusive food/drink.
But inspite of all the negative review specially about the foodsection, we were very satisfied.
Absolutely good food, all fresh prepared at 4 counters.
Everyday different dishes to choose from. Specially the Chinese section is very good.
What about the seatingcapacity? The restaurant is huge. But not so cheerless as I thought it would be.
From 18.00 till 19.00 you wont find a problem to find a empty table. After that you might have to wait a few minutes for staff to clear the tables.
On Xmas day we had a Xmas gala diner and everybody had a reserved table. Even with candles and a printed menu.
Dinner for 1200! Can you imagen? It all worked out well.
Thanks to a wunderfull staff.
So our stay at the IFA Interclub turned out to be a great vacation!
Even the weather was on the bright side. 25C all week long with plenty of blue skies.
Our sons are already beggin to return next Xmas 2007.

Three Star Comfort

by TripAdvisor Member Zanteray

Just returned from a weeks holiday after booking a late all inclusive deal,food was better than expected, good basic food including for the evening meal ,pizza,pasta hot meats ,chip potatoes veg + chinese style as well,cold meat and different salads, three wines + beer. Its a bit of a trek to the beach (if you want to go) 154 steps,staff pleasent and helpful,BUT be aware unless you like going to a disco or like walkin the streets untill 1.30 am don't accept Tara Block room numbers 111-122 as these are above said disco,after pointing this this out to a member of staff we spent the last four nights in peace. all in all a good weeks holiday.

It was not that bad, but....

by TripAdvisor Member SHOWTRAC

After reading the reviews we were worried and arriving at near midnight on our 1st night we were tired and grumpy. We had a ground floor room in block 2 facing the road. It is basic and i have seen better rooms. The hotel is in need of a good make over. The room has no aircon and on ground floors you can not leave the doors open. Being on the road side did mean we heard the traffic (mainly coaches as the road only goes to the hotels its not a through road)

That said being on the road side on the ground floor meant that our balcony led right out onto a stretch of grass which had sun beds on. This side of the hotel got the sun all day and we sat out in the morning, led out in the late afternoon and sat out in the evening.

the hotel is mixed nationalities

We elected to lie out each day in the grassed area rather than the pool area - it is quieter and you can spread your selves out with shade from the palm trees if you like. Never had a problem getting a bed - but would not like to say what it would be like in season.

Wheather was great 7 days of brilliant sun but at times it can be a bit windy which can be deceptive if you are in the sun (lots of red people at night time)

We found the food OK - lots of choice and self serve beer and wine. We aren't bothered too much by evening entertainment - once you have stayed somewhere once you have seen it all - kids disco, magician, parrot man, snake man, singing, kareoke (yuk). one night we went on the myTravel reps night - dissapointing and a waste of money - be warned!

We went out most nights to the commercial centres taxi is best about 3 -4 euors a time.

Overall - we expected the worst and it was OK for a cheap week away in February - I can not say what it would be like in high season.

Great holiday

by TripAdvisor Member els6876

We have just returned from a last min holiday, we usually go 4 star but took a chance that paid off. The food was good, hot and lots of choice - no bad tummys! It was also really clean. We ate out alot local also to playa de en... was only 4 euros despite what the other reviews said and that was tip included! Weather was great, the animation team were the best we had seen, we are a young couple with no kids but they really looked after and entertained the children so if you have kids i would go for this hotel!! a great holiday.

Great Break!!!

by TripAdvisor Member tracyj99

Have just returned from 1 sunny week at the IFA. Bear in mind when you book this its a German orientated hotel, not that we had a problem there but the food, TV etc is geared towards Germans, having said that there were people from all over the world there and the entertainment team & staff spoke about 6 languages each. If you are taking kids between 4 and 11 the MiniClub is fantastic, 2 hours AM, 2 PM and 1 hour in the evening, we have a 5 year old and she loved it! Around the hotel there is a couple of small shops but nothing to write home about, for more entertainment (if your looking for it) catch a cab into Playa Des Ingles which costs 5 Euros. Mogan Market on Fridays is a must for some haggling. All in all the food was pretty basic but sufficient for the star rating of the hotel. The place itself was immaculately clean and the pool areas / sunbeds / seats in the restaurant abundent on what must have been one of the most busy weeks of the year. One big bonus for us was the 'serve yourself drinks' (beer, wine, fizzy drinks, coffee, tea etc) which meant no queueing unless you wanted a spirit!!
Highly recommended for families, not so for you clubbers out there, we will be going back!!

Great Holiday

by TripAdvisor Member JRY

All I can say is that if you want a break away from everything, in a spotlessly clean hotel, with beautiful grounds and food to suit all of the family, then this is the place for you.

In response to other reviews - yes there are a lot of German guests, but also French, Italian, Dutch, Swiss, American, Slovakian, Spanish, Swedish, English, Irish, Scottish ... I suggest that if you want English speakers only you holiday in the UK. If you are a friendly sort of person then you will find ways around a language barrier and communicate with anyone, especially if you try!

Criticism of the food is unfounded. No, it is not a waiter sevice 5 * however, it does not clain to be. There is an excellent selection of hot and cold food, from chips to fresh local fish. Lots of fruit and salad for the healthy and a great selection of bread and cakes. If my very fussy 66 year old mum and my equally fussy 3 year old can be fed then anyone can. Drinks on tap, so to speak.

Rooms were very clean and comfortable, with good sized terraces. I know that some had ones which faced the room, but the hotel staff did all they could to move them. The rounds were amazing. Entertainment was standard animation team stuff, mini disco and show. Entertaining enough, but not Broadway. Mini club was fabulous and the children's play area brilliant.

The only problem is its distance from a resort centre, although taxis are really cheap. We had a wonderful, relaxing week

Good hotel, very clean, food OK

by TripAdvisor Member mab_robinson

Stayed here for a week in May - booked flights and hotel separately. Weather was superb which helped, but generally a good hotel with mixed nationality (German, Spanish, Italian, Russian and not too many English!) guests.

The hotel is very clean and well looked after with a great pool and garden area to sit in to get your tan, with bars near to help yourself to drinks all day (spirits had to be ordered, but beer and wine was on tap, as were soft drinks, tea and coffee).

Not sure I totally agree with other writers on the food - there was a reasonable selection, but a little too English in its orientation for my liking, chips were always on the menu! I like to eat local food when I am on holiday and although there was a good selection for every meal, often the best food (the local food) was not the most popular so it sat around under the heaters getting cold.

As an All Inclusive hotel is was OK, good service, clean, but the food could have been a little better - I guess that is what you have to expect when it is on the list of a British Travel Operator!

Comments