Santiago de Compostela Hotels

Our Members Say

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

albergue: a unique albergue around the church

It is a pity I got here early in the morning, while the albergue was still closed for the cleaning but at least I could take a look through the fence and take some pictures !

You have to pay just 5 euros for each bed in this albergue and they only have rooms with 2 beds each, lined up in a clever way as a circle around the church - take a look at my extra pictures as well !

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking, Hiking and Walking
  • Written October 1, 2012

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Pension RIO: not perfect, BUT my very own room !!!!

Pension Rio is a small hotel that I did find in the brochure that I got from the tourist-office: it was nothing special, but not bad eighter and I was happy to be able to escape the giant room with 20 beds in the albergue...
The hotel is for sale and I could see that the owners were happy for every peregrino they could sell a room to in the last moment.

I payed 35 euros for a singleroom with private facilities and these facilities were the ones that are used normally by the rooms, who dont have en-suite, BUT the lady who showed me the room locked the public door of this bathroom and opened another door to my room and that way I had my singleroom and was the only one beeing able to use the public facilities through a door from my room !

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written September 30, 2012
Tip Photo

so this was the public room for MY use only

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Cofradia del Santo: a giant albergue, clean, perfect & very cheap !

In the very centre of Santo Domingo de la Calzada you will find this large albergue that is run by the city and they dont have a fixed price for the bed, they just ask you for a donation and they dont care when you throw in just a few pennies !
I registered there, because a friend of mine did go there as well, and in my case they did even forget about asking me for a donation. So I had the possibility to take a look into the rooms first and decided to look for a private accomodation instead !

At the entrance you have to register - and you will need your ID-card for that and will be given a piece of paper with the name of the room and the number of the bed on it, so you can never choose that for yourself !!!
In my last picture: I had bed No2 (a lower bed) in room Najera !
The beds were all like in my main picture: you have a naked matress, no blankets and no pillows and some of the beds are simply much too close to the next ones - NOT my "cup of tea"

• Related to: Budget Travel, Family Travel, Hiking and Walking
  • Written September 30, 2012

Hostal El Horno: una camera con baño for just 30 euros

Hostal El Horno offers some very good rooms with private facilities (in Spain they call it "con baño" ) for 30 Euros and it was the very first place where I asked for a room, so I dont know any other places.

My room in Hostal El Horno had a large window that reached to floor, and when you open it you will have a so-called "French balcony". The room was facing a quiet side-street without any car-trafic and I could sleep with the windows beeing open !
My last picture: the view from my room.
No breakfast served in this hostal
but many places closeby will do it !

• Written September 29, 2012

La Posada del Peregrino: a great hotel along the Camino

La Posada del Peregrino is the best hotel in El Acebo and it is a pity that they were fully booked already when I passed by early in the afternoon - so it really makes sense to book there in advance !

This hotel even has internet and a good restaurant !
And at the bar there was a nice young lady who organized a lift in private car for me to Molinaseca, because she knew that somebody was coming to take down another pilgrim. She phoned the cardriver and asked him, if I could come with them and he said yes - and did not take any money at all, that was really nice !

• Related to: Hiking and Walking, Budget Travel, Food and Dining
  • Written September 28, 2012

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Albergue communal: a good & cheap place in the dorms

This is the communal albergue, next to the place, where I have spent the night and some friends of mine stayed there and liked it - just like they liked all places that were cheap !
In general the albergues run by the villages are not bad and you mostly dont pay more than 5 euros per bed or even less, as some just ask for a small donation and they dont care, when you just throw in some cent-coins !

They have a nice, shady garden that is also the only place to sit togeather with friends - when its raining you will never find such places inside the house!

• Related to: Budget Travel, Family Travel, Backpacking
  • Written August 30, 2012

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Albergue El Pilar: not bad, but not really my cup of tea !

I came here accidentally, because my guidebook told me that they have newly built singlerooms as well and that is why I went there to ask for a room. What I got was a 4bedded room for myself for the price of 30 euros !

I am sure the lady knew, why she wanted to have my money, before I could see the room. Take a look at my photos: 2 doublebeds in that room that might be OK for 2 couples, BUT for 4 single peregrinos that would never be possible. That might be the reason, why she sold it to me after a few seconds of thinking.
There was nothing else than a chair in that room, the toilet was at the end of the balcony right in front of my room and the shower was down the stairs again,across the innercourt !
I will not go there again, but for that 1 night it was finally OK !

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Backpacking, Religious Travel, Seniors
  • Written August 30, 2012

El Caminante: an excellent hotel

Hotel El Caminante has just 2 floors, BUT what a surprise, they even had a lift !!! All of the rooms are facing the innercourt, and they also have private facilities. I payed 30 euros for my single use of a doubleroom, breakfast was NOT included, just like in almost any spanish hotel where I have stayed, but at least they served breakfast after 08.00am for a small extra-fee !

I had a TV, a small table and a comfortable bed and slept very well ! They also had 2 computers with internet: the cost was around 2 euros per 30 minutes !

• Related to: Seniors, Hiking and Walking, Backpacking
  • Written August 25, 2012

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Albergueria "Andres Munoz": a cheap place for peregrinos: 6 Euros p.p.

Albergueria "Andres Munoz" is one of the best alberghes that you will find along the Camino and that is why it was also fully booked already, when we arrived there around 05.00pm.
They will close the gates at 10.00pm, so be back in time, they dont have a night-porter !

They have a total of 65 beds and the price per night is 6 Euros ! Something else that I found quite interesting there is the way that 3 beds were built there on top of each other in all rooms. They say, that they try to give the upper beds for younger peregrinos...

• Written July 30, 2012

• gmg61 profile photo gmg61
  • Reviews: 408

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Casa Rural "Os Vilares": A great place to stay

Maica, the owner, is a great host, helpful, fully informed about what's happening in the area and what to see and visit.
The place is quiet, located in the countryside but just outside Santiago: you can afford to walk to the Cathedral, or you'll be there in 5 minutes car ride. There is a pleasant garden and the whole buiolding is very comfortable, absolutely tidy, quiet and warm. We had a great experience there.

The owner is great.
Nice location,
Beautiful surroundings

• Written July 17, 2012
Tip Photo

The main building and one of the horreos

La Fuente Casa di Austria: well

As an austrian I HAD to sleep there and I guess for an albergue it was quite good, BUT I did not enjoy it really very much.
Casa di Austria is mainly just an expression, BUT nobody except 1 single person spoke any german. This person from Austria offered massages and they go there on a regular basis, some weeks each year, then another austrian is coming there.
I payed 8 euros for my bed and 3 euros for the breakfast !

Something positive: they served breakfast with dark rhye-bread for just 3 euros a person and you could eat as much as you wanted with Nutella, jam, butter and coffee or tea.
The washing was done by the attendants: you simply throw your dirty laundry into a basket in your room and it was washed for you and given back room-wise, free of charge

• Related to: Backpacking, Adventure Travel, Budget Travel
  • Written July 15, 2012

Albergue de Peregrinos Padres Reparadores: an albergue for just 3 euros

This is an albergue that charges just 3 euros for each bed. I did not stay there but some of the people I have met the day before were sleeping there and they told me they are glad to stay there. Pilgrims with a bicycle will find covered parkingspaces in the garden (my 4th picture)

Of course such cheap places will be fully booked already in the early afternoon and that is why most of the pilgrims start to hike early in the morning, so they get a place in these cheap albergues, they are the first at the washing-machine, at the dryer etc.
It was funny for me to see a vending-machine there selling nothing else than hoses for biking-tyres (my last picture)

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Written July 11, 2012

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Chapitel Hospederia: an excellent 4-star-hotel !

I arrived in Estella on the late afternoon of a day with heavy rainfall and I was soaking wet all over, so I decided to search for a hotel and right in the towncentre I found this great 4-star-hotel right at the place, where the stairs go upwards to Iglesia de San Miguel (my 4th picture)

In an albergue you mostly have to leave your shoes at the reception (where they might be stolen) while in a real hotel nobody cares about your wet and dirty shoes. My own hotelroom was also a guarantee for me that I was able to get my clothings dry again: on the heating and also with the help of the hairdryer in my bathroom.
The toilet was seperate from the bathroom and it was big enough to store there as well my rucksack.
I payed 78 Euros for a doubleroom with single-use, the excellent breakfast-buffet was seperate and costed 8 Euros.
In the reception-hall you can use the internet free of charge in the hotel's laptop, and there I could see that while it is rainy and cold here in Spain it was the hottest April ever in Austria with 32,5 degrees Celcius.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Backpacking, Family Travel, Luxury Travel
  • Written July 11, 2012

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

La Bodega del Camino: a great Albergue with Internet & more !

La Bodega del Camino is the albergue where I finally spent my night. I was offered a private room for 30 euros and this room included a "private bathroom & toilet" that I had to share with only 1 other room and it was 1 floor down, so it was a very strange kind of "private facilities", BUT I was happy that way, I had 2 beds in my room, 1 for me to sleep and 1 more to unpack my rucksack ! I will have more pics of this albergue in my travelogue !

La Bodega del Camino also offered a great "Menu del Peregrino" / Pilgrim-dinner with 3 courses for just 9,90 euros, half a litre wine included.

• Related to: Backpacking, Hiking and Walking, Budget Travel
  • Written July 8, 2012

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Albergue de Lorca: the cheapest singleroom of the whole Camino !

A bed in the larger sleeping-rooms of this albergue is 7 Euros each and when I asked for a private room for myself I was offered a singleroom for just 7 Euros as well.
There was a friendly man at the counter of the bar and he even spoke a bit of german.

What I got for this was a tiny room, just big enough for a bed, a chair and the tiny window (on my 3rd picture) going into the corridor, but nothing else. There was no way to lock the door and this is why I finally decided to ask for a private room in the albergue opposite of this one - see my other accomodation-tip !

• Opinion of Price: N/A