Express By Holiday Inn Pamplona

The back of the RincónThe back of the Rincón

Building in the Segundo EnsancheBuilding in the Segundo Ensanche

Diputación de NavarraDiputación de Navarra

Monumento a los ForosMonumento a los Foros

Public transportation and the festival

by midnight_mike

I will be in Spain during the time of the festival and want to go. I already bought my tickets. I have a few questions. Do I need to buy bus tickets in advance? I would likely be taking a bus from Madrid and only stay about 30 hours. Second, how much would it cost to purchase a semi-decent seat for the bullfights? Third, is it hard to get a good spot to see the running of the bulls? Fourth, as someone who is fascinated by the festival and the art of bullfighting, are the large crowds tolerable? What I mean is, on a scale of 1 to 10 how annoying are the crowds? Is it as bad as Mardi Gras in New Orleans? Lastly, this has nothing to do with Pamplona, but is it true that there are no bullfights in Seville in July? What about Malaga? It was mentioned on About.com, but I'm not going to necessarily take that as the word of God.

Re: Public transportation and the festival

by Roadquill

As to bus tickets, my experience is that the local bus companies magically have buses appear when one fills up. But this may apply to local trips such as to and from San Sebastian/Donostia, Bilbao, etc. The high speed train from Madrid that stopped in Pamplona (there were only two a day) was only half full even during the festival so I would doubt there would be a problem with the bus, but you should buy early to be on the safe side. Last time I bought tickets to the bullfight in Pamplona during the festival the cheapest tiks were around 18 euro. These were generally for the seating "under the sun". During the bullfights this is the area where everyone is spraying each other with sangria. In the other sections of the seating it is much more tame and serious. As to the crowds, it is a mass of humanity in the old town. I love it, but my wife hated it and will not go back. While there is a lot of drinking, there is an incredible amount of music of all kinds going on. So the crowds gravitate to the type of music they like. Last year Chuck Berry performed and it was a total sardine can. It is different from NO Mardi Gras in that San Fermin is still a very family oriented festival. There are family members young and old, people seeing each other they have not seen for a while. During the day there are also competitions such as basque wood chopping. Karl

Re: Public transportation and the festival

by midnight_mike

Thanks. If anyone else wants to add their comments, please do so. I am very pleased with what I read. I really wish I could see a bullfight in Seville, too, but I guess you can't have everyting.

Travel Tips for Pamplona

A must-do for the true adventure seeker.

by ADV27

The best thing about Pamplona and the reason that it is on the map, is because of the Festival of San Fermin. During this one week festival, the street, bars and clubs are packed with locals and travelers from around the world, coming to experience soemthing that they have heard about all their lives. THE RUNNING OF THE BULLS. My fondest memory of Pamplona is definately my experience running with the bulls. To enter the arena with 1 bulls in front of me and 2 behind me as I ran out of the tunnel and seeing the entire stadium roar with cheers as the bulls entered was something that can't be descirbed.

Corridas and toreros.

by breughel

The "encieros" of San Fermin i.e. the bulls running through the streets of Pampelune/Irunea constitutes an extraordinary witness of the long-lived traditions of Spain. It is always with interest and emotion that I look at them every morning at 08.00 am on the international Spanish TV between July 6th and 14th.

For sure there are injured persons, mostly among the foreign (sometimes drunken) tourists, but it is a part of the game and it is less dangerous, for oneself and for the others, to run in front of the bulls than to drive against sense on the highway.

But the bullfights in the after noon following the "encieros" are often mediocre. The public is that of a football match, nothing to do with the aficionados at the corridas of Las Ventas arenas in Madrid or the Maestranza in Sevilla.

I accept bullfighting as expression of the Spanish culture and tradition but I hate bad toreros.

This year 2010 from 7/07 till 15/07. Encieros at 08.00 h

Parque Yamaguchi and the Planetarium

by mikey_e

I went to the Parque Yamaguchi and the Planetarium mainly because I figured that, if I was already this far out in this direction, I might as well see the area. Unfortunately, the Planetarium was closed, so I wasn't able to actually see what it had to offer. The Parque Yamaguchi, which is not named after the skater, is in fact named after the city in Japan where St. Francis Xavier stayed. Catholicism didn't take in Japan, but the Saint's valiant efforts are nonetheless honoured in this park. It is, for all intensive purposes, a standard suburban park with pond and playgrounds for children. It is not sculpted or maintained in the same fashion as Jardines de la Taconera, so it might be a better idea for those with kids than for those on their own.

Running With The Bulls

by whooping_wombat

"Running with the bulls"

This was a fun experience. The most dangerous part is actually the other runners. If you go don't run on Sunday or Saturday. Those are the days that have the most runners and it is slightly more dangerous.

Comments