Spitsbergen Hotels

• Donna_in_India profile photo Donna_in_India
  • Reviews: 895

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Radisson SAS Polar Hotel: World's Northernmost Full Service Hotel

The Radisson SAS Polar is officially the “world’s northernmost full service hotel”. We took the small airport shuttle bus the short distance to the hotel. At the entrance we were requested to remove our boots and for our entire stay we would walk around in socks. (It was kind of funny seeing everyone in their socks – especially in the dining room but we got used to it.)

The standard hotel room was nice - nothing extraordinary but did have a minibar, free broadband and satellite TV (with shows in English, which after six weeks without was such a treat!). There was also a computer off the lobby that I think was free of charge. The only downside about the room was that they didn't have room darkening shades so with almost 24 hours of daylight it was extremely difficult to sleep!

For dinner the first night we decided to skip the reindeer. My husband had halibut and I had a beef dish. The meals were exquisitely presented (usually not a big thing for me) and very tasty as well. The typical Norwegian breakfast buffest was amazing. Dozens of choices - meats, cheeses, breads, jams, fruits, cereals. The view from inside the dining room was wonderful.

Outside and next door to the hotel is the booking agent for all local excursions. The hotel was also within a 1 minute walk of the "town" - grocery store, post office, etc.

Very nice hotel, would recommend and stay again!

• Opinion of Price: most expensive