Smagarde Hotell & Pensionat

Ferry to GotlandFerry to Gotland

Speakers CornerSpeakers Corner

The Watch TowersThe Watch Towers

GlödhoppaGlödhoppa

Is Old Town close to the Harbour?

by annk

One of our port stops will be Visby, Sweden on our Baltic cruise. Of course a couple of tours are offered from the cruiseline but would it be convenient to explore on our own? How far is the town from the harbour? Thanks.

Re: Is Old Town close to the Harbour?

by yumyum

A lovely place. I was there on a cruise ship and had a few hours and explored it by myself. You can do it with walking and I remember that there is a tourist office on the way into town somewhere on the right.
If I remember correctly there are a few pics on my Sweden page. There is also an interesting museum which I can recommend.

Re: Re: Is Old Town close to the Harbour?

by annk

That's good to hear since I prefer not doing all group tours and could save a few bucks too. Thanks!

Re: Is Old Town close to the Harbour?

by erabler

The harbour is IN the old town, I would say.

Travel Tips for Visby

Visby - the capital

by jacob_m

Visby is the capital of Gotland with about 22000 inhabitants.
It is surrounded by a 3,5 km long ringwall and in the old city centre many old medieval churches, buildings and ruins can be found.
Check my Gotland-page for more info and pics about this town.
There are also some pics from the medieval week (Medeltidsveckan), always taking place the first week in August when the clock is turned back 700 years in time.

Kapitelhusgården.

by Dizzyhead

During the medeltidsveckan (the week of the Middle Ages) Kapitelhusgården is open between 12.00-01.00. This is a special place during this Middle Age week. During the day time there are many salesman and people working with handycraft at Kapitelhusgården. During the day time there are many activities for children. They can try to shoot arrows, work with leather, be a knight and many other things. It is also open in the restaurant and you can drink a special beer during this week. When I was here, I felt that I was back in the time and it was very interesting to be here. I want to come back and participate more in this week.

Rock Statues

by CharleneP

Near the Suderhälsan Health Spa, along the beach there is alot of rock statues in different shapes. All natural. A Must See!
From Hamra drive towards Burgsvik, if you pass the Suderhälsan Spa drive along the seafront.

Medeltidsveckan pa Gotland

by starship

We were very excited when during the planning of our trip we thought we would be in Visby on the very first day of "Medieval Week on Gotland" or "Medeltidsveckan pa Gotland." We had checked the dates out. Can you believe we missed it by one day? We were so disappointed!

Every year during the first week in August the island celebrates Medieval Week. It is a great festival recreating the year of 1361. As the history goes, Visby was still a powerful Hanseatic city, and Gotland was under the rule of Sweden and its King, Magnus Eriksson. At the time, the people within the city walls of Visby felt no kinship but only antagonism with the wealthy farmers outside the walls. Danish King Valdemar Atterdag invaded the island and engaged the farmers outside of the city walls in a great battle where 2,000 souls perished. The people inside the city walls watched the battle passively, as they had promised King Valdemar not to intervene in exchange for the right to retain privileges of their own.

During the festival, everyone dresses in the Medieval garb and regalia as the people did in 1361. One of the highlights is the Jousting Tournament, but there are theatrical performances, dancing and music, crafts, food, special guided walks and lectures. Jesters, musicians, acrobats and wandering ministrels delight the crowds. The festival represents a marvelous way in which the Medieval days are brought to life! This festival only lasts a week, so make sure you get as much information as possible if you plan to be in Visby for this wonderful event. (See contact info. below.)

Österport

by Sjalen

The eastern gate was the main road into the Gotland countryside in medieval days and the route taken by farmers wanting to sell their produce. Today it is the road leading to the shops of Östervägen and then further on to the village of Roma. It is a place where you will almost certainly find yourself at one stage or other since you will be exploring Hästgatan or perhaps look for the bus station nearby. Remember that Visby was once a city excluding its countryside and therefore there was once a portcullis here but only a wooden bar remains if you raise your head inside it today.

Comments