Sweden Hotels

Our Members Say

Krusenberg Herrgård: A classic 4 star hotel at Knivsta

Krusenberg Herrgård is located at Lake Mälaren in Knivsta, approximately half an hour drive by car from Arlanda International Airport. Sigtuna which is the oldest city in Sweden, is located just 18 kilometers away. This classic hotel with several adjacent buildings has history that dates back to the 17th century. These buildings are old well preserved manor countryside buildings. The hotel has undergone extensive renovations lately to make it even more impressive with sophisticated amenities and facilities.

Krusenberg Herrgård is a four star classic business and pleasure hotel with approximately 60 well-furnished rooms. The hotel certainly is quiet and peaceful, a great location to relax and to chill out. The view of Lake Mälaren from the hotel is excellent indeed. Nature is the theme of the hotel as the hotel is located in the park with more than 100 apple trees. Bikes, boats and canoes are available for hire during the summer months. Golf courses are also located nearby. The hotel has several conference rooms accommodating between 10 and 40 conference guests.

The main restaurant is located in the main building. The food served in the restaurant is certainly excellent. Main menu includes Swedish and European cuisines especially Italian served with great italian wines. The buffet breakfast is also excellent, it has to be said.

The hotel's staff are certainly friendly. The list of impressive amenities and facilities include wifi and high speed internet access, refrigerator, LED television, hair dryer, bathroom with shower, ironing board, slipper and bathrobe, writing desk and excellent reading materials in each room. Some of the rooms even have balconies. Extra curricular activities include tennis, solariums, spa, saunas, billiards, dart and table tennis.

• Related to: Business Travel, Family Travel
  • Written September 29, 2012

Krusenberg Herrg��rd

Hotel Strand Borgholm, Öland: Wonderful seaside resort

Hotel Strand Borgholm is an excellent four star seaside resort which is attached to Guesthamn (Guest Harbour). It is located so near to the walking street, the main hub of the city of Borgholm, the capital of Öland. The hotel has approximately 120 single and family non-smoking rooms with approximately 360 beds. Most of the rooms have an amazing seaview of Kalmarsund. Hotel guests have access to the private beach.

Among its excellent amenities are an indoor 25 meter swimming pool, health center with sauna and solarium, Dockside Restaurant, mini bar, television, safe depost boxes, high speed internet connection, hair dryer, telephone, free parking and business and conference rooms.

Its unique qualities are its access to the private beach and the wonderful seaview of the bay. The hotel is attached to the Guesthamn (guest harbour), certainly great for those who travel by boats and yachts.

• Related to: Road Trip, Family Travel
  • Written September 11, 2011

Strand Borgholm

Hotel Scandic, Karlskrona: Hotel with harbour view

Hotel Scandic is located deside Fisktorget near the boat terminal harbour in the town of Karlskrona. This is an excellent four star tourist and business classs hotel with approximately 180 well-furnished rooms, many of them non-smoking. This four storey hotel is quite new in town having just opened for business only last year.

Among some of their well-equipped facilities and amenities are outdoor parking facilities, 24 hour reception, restaurant and bar, safe deposit box, flat tv, gym, health center, business and conference rooms, high speed internet access, wifi, wheelchair accessible, mini shop, fully air-conditioned and lifts.

The hotel's unique qualities are its location beside the harbour and the view of the harbour from the restaurant and many of its rooms.

• Related to: Family Travel
  • Written September 8, 2011

Hotel Scandic, Karlskrona

• DrPwk profile photo DrPwk
  • Reviews: 2

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel J: Small room, on a building site, unhelpful staff

I want to write a fair review of this place. I personally was disappointed, however, I feel that I am not their target audience so please weight up my points and decide whether this place is right for you. I would also like to say that I do my research thoroughly before travelling and I was still disappointed.

Bad points:
* They are building a whole new wing of the hotel - this is a massive building site where drilling, banging AND controlled explosions start promptly at 9am every morning. I wouldn't have minded this as much but there is no mention of this on the website, no mention of it when you book, no special deals etc. The whole point of this place is that it's out of the way and relaxing - everything is rather spoilt by the building site!
* I found the staff to be rude and unhelpful from the moment we arrived to the moment we left. No maps could be given to the local area, only their EXCEPTIONALLY expensive restaurant is mentioned (with one veggie option), and only their boat to the city is mentioned (£15 for 2 people, one way), when there is 2 perfectly good bus routes which will save you a fortune. When we left the woman at the desk didn't ask if I had a nice time or any other pleasantries, simply demanded the money I owed and answered the phone leaving us to walk away. No taxi booking was offered, no 'thank you for staying', nothing. I found this just so exceptionally rude. It's such a small thing and I feel there is just an air of extreme arrogance about the staff. I must say that the breakfast staff were much nicer.
* Breakfast is crowded on a busy day, there isn't enough places for people to sit seperately at busy times so you have to share which not everyone likes to do.
* The room was really small. I had booked a seaview deluxe and this room felt cramped. Compared to the enormous room we had at the Clarion in town it was a big step down, for the same money.
* Nacka is COMPLETELY dead in the weekends and evenings. Nothing is open, not even a local shop after 6-7pm, there are no bars, cafes etc open. I understood it was a business area, but lots of people do live round there and there is very little available. It's quite eerie! Therefore if you want to eat anywhere other than there exceptionally expensive restaurant you need to head into town.
* Only one chair on the balcony meaning you cannot sit out together - a little odd!

Good points:
* Very nicely decorated
* Beds were enormous with super soft bedding
* Breakfast was very good
* Drinks and snacks available during the day but you do have to pay for them (25SEK for every hot drink)
* Lovely views

I feel this place is good for:
* people with money to spend - i.e. people who don't mind spending well over £80 on a 2 course meal everynight, are happy to eat at the same place every night, who aren't vegetarians. People who are happy to get a bus or for people who want to spend £15 each way on a boat to town every day.

Personally, I got a good discount through expedia as well as 12% cashback on my stay, so for a 3 night stay I spent to £135 per night compared to £197 for my room type. Even this I would say was expensive. I would never pay the rack rate for this place. If you can get a good rate then I would give this place a go if you are happy to spend the money on the extras like food etc.

Great Views
Secluded Location
Peaceful at night

• Related to: Arts and Culture, National/State Park, Trains
  • Written June 25, 2010

• DrPwk profile photo DrPwk
  • Reviews: 2

Clarion Hotel Stockholm: Huge room, great breakfast, very friendly staff

We stayed in a deluxe double for 2 nights.

Would definitely recommend.

Good points:

* HUGE room and lovely bathroom with shower and a bath
* Great modern decor
* Huge bed with 2 duvets - no fighting over the duvet :)
* Great breakfast selection
* Absolutely lovely staff who were very friendly and helpful with any questions
* Right by Skanstull T-Bana metro, only a 5 minute ride from the Central rail station/Gamla Stan etc.
* Sodermalm is a lovely area with loads of reasonably priced restaurants (for stockholm!) - especially good for veggies with Chutney and Hermanns nearby!

Negative Points:
* A little bit out of the action if you like everything on your doorstep
* Breakfast is completely self service so you have to get all drinks etc yourself which can be a bit of a pain as there are no trays and you are up and down like a yo-yo to get coffees, tea, juice etc as well as food (this does seem to be common practise in Stockholm though)
* No plunge pool or hot tub as shown on their website, nor has their literature in the rooms been updated. There is now only a sauna and where the pictures show the pool to be this now just has 2 running machines placed there. This was not explained to us by anyone and a number of people wondered up looking very confused. We were pretty disappointed about this as the view is amazing up there and our tired aching feet wanted to use the hot tub!

Overall we had a great time here so we would definitely recommend it. The staff are fantastic and made all the difference to our stay.

* HUGE room and lovely bathroom with shower and a bath
* Great modern decor
* Huge bed with 2 duvets - no fighting over the duvet :)
* Great breakfast selection
* Absolutely lovely staff who were very friendly and helpful with any questions

• Related to: Trains, National/State Park, Arts and Culture
  • Written June 25, 2010

• alectrevor profile photo alectrevor
  • Reviews: 1201

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Comfort Hotel: Real Comfort.

The Comfort hotel is near the railway station, it lives up to its name. Breakfast is good. Coffee is available free 24 hours, The price for single was 530 SKK. April 2010.

• Written May 5, 2010

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Kinekulle camping – magic setting at the lak

When I mentioned the outstanding equipment on Swedish campgrounds I was specifically referring to the ones at Kinnekulle Camping. The soft facts are that it has one of the most magic settings at Lake Vänern with views to Läckö Castle, a little bay with a little pier to make bathing and swimming for kids a bit more safe. It has the most advanced kitchen I ever saw with dishwashers that clean within seconds (well, a few minutes maybe). Ok, as I said in my general tip about camping in Sweden, I am not at all used to this so it might be the norm and only new to me. There are big modern washhouses with huge showers, almost bathrooms. There is a big dining-TV-playing room which is nicely furnished. Every public room can only be opened with a magnetic card, the one you get upon registring. I found this a bit absurd. Most of us who work in offices have to run around with this “identification thing” around the neck, so do we really need this in our private time? Haha, maybe some would need it because they might feel naked without one.
We were lucky to find spots for the tents directly at the lake with this prime view. The alternative would have been spots near the entrance near the forest. The lake view had some “disadvantage” though, but only during the time we were there. A German family (aka where the most uneducated, ignorant day-and-night-screaming kids grow up) was next to us and the parents did nothing to tell their bastards to shut their whining and shrieking mouths. But the views were amazing, especially during dinner!
Prices were 240 SEK per night and tent, but this was high season. It is lower other times. Have a look at their website, at the gallery. It shows several of the places on that ground I forgot to take photos of.

Directions:
The campground is located at the southeastern shore of Lake Vänern, between Lidköping and Mariestad. Leave E20 highway at Götene, drive via Kinne-Kleva to the north, village of Hällekis. It is signposted here. Pass an ugly factory and follow the road until you reach the campground. It is a dead end road.

Exact location of Kinnekulle Camping on google maps.

Region: Västra Götaland;
nearest airport: Göteborg
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

© Ingrid D., September 2009 (So please do not copy my text or photos without my permission.)

• Written October 22, 2009

Swedish campgrounds: fully equipped

Maybe it is silly to mention this all (because it might be common knowledge) but to me the campgrounds in Sweden where I stayed at were equipped exceptionally. Yes, houses with toilets are normal for most of the official campgrounds but is this also true for fully equipped kitchens? Of course I cannot judge for the majority of the campgrounds and yes, there are differences among the ones I know. But wash houses and toilet houses are huge buildings, often there are many of them scattered on the whole ground. Kitchen houses are the norm and they are all equipped with big ovens, microwaves, refridgerators and some even have most modern dishwashers. I liked the timer at most of the ovens or heating plates (see photo). They make sure that things won’t burn because someone forgot about them and also makes sure that house and surroundings won’t be set on fire.

Very important for the daily morning routine or evening showers are the coins. Bring coins with you or better deposit some in your toiletry kits, because showering costs a fee. It varies but it is usually approx. 5 SEK. I have learned this after several times inside of the sowers without coins…..

Many campgrounds have space for tents although it often seems that these are at the less appealing parts of the ground, at the edges and often without “lake view” or views of the surroundings. Emphasis on most of the campgrounds is given to the caravans. There is everything a caravaner needs, as far as I could see. I cannot judge because I don’t have one or would use one.
Most of the campgrounds have small huts (stuga) to rent or a hostel type building, or both. But these seemed to need reservation, mainly in the summer days. When I was at Tiveden, I wanted to rent one of these cute tiny stugas, but I was out of luck. I had my tent with me, so it wasn’t a problem at all. If you want to stay in one of the hostel beds or stugas, bring your own bedsheets. Usually it can be rented for a fee though.

The website below has the catalogue to view or order (120 pages). It comes free and it is indeed excellent in case you drive across the country.

Prices vary a lot. Usually it is between 150 and 300 SEK per tent. Discounts are given with the camping card.

• Related to: Photography, Camping, Budget Travel
  • Written October 22, 2009
Tip Photo

Makes sure your meals don't burn :-)

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Bergdala Wärdshus – a dream place!

I was excited when I saw photos of accommodation in the Kingdom of Crystal in a brochure. The workers’ houses have been transformed into B&Bs and youth hostels. And I was even more excited when I saw a picture of the one at Bergdala factory, because Bergdala was very high on my list of glass factories. It looked lovely. Consequently, I didn’t drive around to look for anything but went straight to Bergdala in hope that they had a room for me. It was early August and I didn’t made any reservation anywhere, so my chances were not high. But luckily I must have arrived exactly in time because I could get my bed. The whole atmosphere of this place was so charming that I decided to stay here for three nights, so that I had enough time to explore the glass factories in detail. I didn’t mind at all that Bergdala is located at the western part of the glass region, which meant that I had to drive quite a bit to get to the other factories. This place was worth every minute I stayed there and moreover I am still convinced that they could ask for higher prices than they actually do. I have stayed in less appealing and charming places for more SEK.

Directions:
Drive east from Växjö, road 32. After the village of Hovmantorp, look for the brown sign that says “Bergdala Glasbruk” and turn north (left). Follow the road for approx. 5 km and then turn left (west) at the next sign. It is directly on the right side of the road then. Reception for the wärdshus is in the restaurant building.

Location of Bergdala Wärdshus on Google Maps

Region: Småland;
nearest airport: Kalmar (international) or Växjo (regional)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They have rooms in two houses, Vega and Oscar, with different price categories, depending on the room size (single room or double room), if you bring your own bedclothes or not (common practice in Sweden) and if you want to have breakfast or not. I stayed in a double room but on my own paid 350 SEK as bed & breakfast and with bedclothes and towel. If I would have stayed without bedclothes/towel and breakfast it would have been 180 SEK. The room was not big, but enough space for me. I liked the simple interior, it was not overdecorated but had everything I needed. The kitchen is huge, with tables and chairs, refrigerator, microwave, cabinets, stove and enough crookery (sorry, forgot to take photos). We could also sit outside and have our meals on the lawn.
The breakfast they serve is very extensive: bread, rolls, jam, cold cuts, cheese, several different cereals, juice, liver pâté, eggs and of course marinated herring (sill). And of course, most of the plates, cups, glasses and eggcups are of the famous blåkånt design. I swear, corn flakes and milk taste better in these! Martina Nystrand (owner) explained the history of Bergdala and the wärdshus every morning when we had breakfast. She spoke Swedish only, but later, her husband Klas gave me a summary in English.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay there. It was quiet, because Bergdala is located approx. 5 km off the main road (road 32, leading eastward from Växjö). In the evening, I often walked around the property and it was exciting to listen to the sounds inside of the glass factory, a little crack here and there from cooling down ovens and glass. The best though was to walk barefoot over the wet grass in the morning! My goodness, I would have had to pay huge sums for this as “wellness treatment” anywhere else.
And the Nystrands are wonderful hosts and divine cooks! But the latter is topic for the restaurant section.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Photography, Budget Travel, Arts and Culture
  • Written September 2, 2009
Tip Photo

One of Bergdala's two houses to stay

• crazypaws profile photo crazypaws
  • Reviews: 20

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Kom Hotel: Cheap hotel in heart of Stockholm

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in July 2008. The room was very small, but since it was just me, it was ok. There's a complimentary breakfast, it had all you could ask for: fruit, all sorts of bread, cereal, eggs,... I was looking for a relatively cheap hotel (which can be hard to find in Stockholm), and Kom Hotel fit the bill.

The hotel is conveniently located in the center of Stockholm. It only takes a short walk (or subway ride if you want to) to the sights.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Singles
  • Written April 25, 2009

Hotel Liseberg Heden, Göteborg: A 4 star first class hotel

Hotel Liseberg Heden is a first class four star business and conference hotel located between Heden and Scandinavium at the junction of Sten Sturegatan and Engelbrektsgatan in the heart of Göteborg. It is not only used by local and foreign conference guests but also by foreign tourists. It is situated within a stone's throw from Swedish Exhibition Centre. The hotel has approximately 180 well-furnished rooms spread over two floors constructed around three patios.

Among its impressive and sophisticated facilities and amenities are two bars, a restaurant, business centre with high speed internet access, meeting and conference rooms, 24 hour front desk, non smoking rooms, currency exchange, cable television, mini bar, safe depost box, telephone and broadband in all rooms, fully air-conditioned, sauna, gift shop, pets allowed, wheelchair accessible and ample parking spaces for motor vehicles. The hotel also offers complimentary entrance to Liseberg amusement park and complimentary buffét breakfast every morning.

As it is a small hotel with less than 200 rooms, it is considered a home-from-home hotel with impeccable service. The staff are very friendly and kind. The hotel is also conveniently located near the Exhibition Centre, Scandinavium, Ullevi and Liseberg and is less than one kilometer from the railway station.

• Related to: Family Travel, Business Travel, Luxury Travel
  • Written April 2, 2009

Hotell Liseberg Heden

Grand Hotel, Stockholm: A luxurious hotel

Grand Hotel is a five star hotel and is one of the leading hotels in the world. The hotel is located at Södra Blasieholmshamnen just in front of cruise harbour at Nybroplan in the heart of Stockholm. Popular attractions around the hotel are Kungsträdgården, National Museum, next to the hotel and China Theatre at Nybroplan.

Stockholm's main shopping street Hamngatan is within a stone's throw from the hotel. This is a low rise hotel with approximately 400 well-furnished rooms. Its interior decorations are some of the best you can see in Scandinavian countries! It is considered a landmark in Stockholm.

The Grand Hotel was offically opened for business in 1874 after undergoing building construction between 1872 and 1874. It was founded by Jean Francois Regis Cadier, a French businessman in 1872. The hotel is popular with guests of noble prize winners and their families in December every year.

Among its rather impressive amenities are several restaurants and bars, health center with spa and massage, banquet and conference facilities, high speed internet access, wheelchair accessible, pets allowed, babysitting etc.

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Business Travel, Luxury Travel
  • Written March 26, 2009

Grand Hotel on the right

• Rupanworld profile photo Rupanworld
  • Reviews: 1029

Malaren: A boat hostel

This was a unique experience. I have never really travelled in a ship or a big boat with rooms inside. So this was the first time I was inside one. It is a boat that has been converted into a city youth hostel and is by itself quite a thing to see in Stockholm. Postcard vendors sell postcards displaying the photo of this hostel as one of the attractions to see. It definitely makes sense to stay there and see and experience for yourself. For more details please see my Stockholm Accomodation tips page.

staying in a boat

• Written January 9, 2009

The red boat

• Kidiri-kuchipika profile photo Kidiri-kuchipika
  • Reviews: 10

SLEEP-INN KARLSKRONA: Sweden's Cheapest Family&Sport hostel

I recommend extremely cheap, but fresh and comfortable hostel to sleep before boat trip - in Karlskrona. It is Bed and Breakfast called: SLEEP-INN, Karlskrona. By the way: that's cheapest staying in whole Sweden : ) i wrote about them in my Swedish deals. But You can also find more informations on their home page: http://www.sleep-inn.se/contact_27.html

Great food, fresh rooms, professional service. Very friendly atmosphere and all that in this funny low price : )

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: School Holidays, Family Travel, Budget Travel
  • Written November 12, 2008

• Kidiri-kuchipika profile photo Kidiri-kuchipika
  • Reviews: 10

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

SLEEP INN Family and Sport Bed & Breakfast: Sweden's CHEAPEST Bed and Breakfast - SLEEP INN

Incredible LOW price - 99 SEK (10 Euro per night!)
Perfect localisation - Karlskrona - 1 minute from E22 (4km to Centrum).
Staying in fresh new renovated rooms. Elevator.
Price includes free coffee/tea 24 h, service 24 h, free parking, free TV on the big screen, etc.
I would gladly recommend it to individual travellers, also to couples, families with kids, but as well - to bigger groups (f.i.: sport camps): in the neighbourhood (100m) there is sport coplex Telenor Arena with possibilities for almost all sorts of sport activities (they have even ice for skating all year round!).

Staying in SLEEP INN was great choice cause of price and standard and comfort and very nice service. I recommended this place already to all my friends: it's a perfect idea for all searching for cheap but FRESH and NICE accomodation in Sweden. By the way I checked and they offer really the cheapest acomodation in whole Sweden!

• Opinion of Price: least expensive