Eksjö Hotels

• Trekki profile photo Trekki
  • Reviews: 2343

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Eksjö Camping: Campground by the lake

Eksjö has a campground with prime location at the lake. In addition to space for tents and caravans and little huts to rent it also has a vandrahem (youth hostel). First I wanted to stay on another campground 14 km to the east, but then I realised how close this is to the city and that the way to Skurugata canyon (my major interest to come here) is north of town, which ruled out the other campground.
Did I like the campground? Yes and no, but this has nothing to do with the organisation of the campground, which is excellent. It is just that I still have a hard time to place my tent centimetres away from the caravans and that caravan culture is so much away from my own way to travel and camp. The space for tents didn’t look inviting to me, that’s why I have asked for a room in the youth hostel. That said I must mention that my tent is a tiny one which is meant for trekking/backcountry hiking and not one of these huge family style ones where one can stand inside. Maybe that’s why I would have felt a bit forlorn with it among these huge ones.
Ok, so I got the room in the youth hostel which is at the western part of the ground. I stayed in the upper floor with view to the lake. The room had the usual 4 bunk beds and I had it all for myself. The kitchen was well equipped with fridge, oven, microwave, coffee machine, next to it was a big room with sofas and TV. I loved the arched windows (sorry, forgot to take photo). The public facilities were quite big, with a lot of playground for kids, a minigolf course and a little train to carry them from A to B around the ground. There is also a restaurant on the eastern end of the camground which serves food and snacks and also has a prime view over the lake.
Yes, I am still aware that I don’t write much enthusiastic, but compared to the other campgrounds I stayed at (Stocken, Kinekulle, Tiveden), this one was only average. When I will ever travel to Eksjö again, I will stay in the hostel in town.

Prices (according to their website, August 2009):
Tent only: 130 SEK per night,
Room in the hostel: 400 SEK per 4 bed room, independent how many persons (that’s what I also paid),
Huts: 450 SEK for 4 bed huts.
The fact that they don’t give prices for caravans per night but only monthly or seasonal rates shows that the majority of the visitors with caravans stay longer than one night only.

Directions:
From road 32, follow the signs to Eksjö Gamla Stan, past the train station. Turn north at the roundabout and right (east) at the next possibility (street: Prästängsvägen). It is at the end of this street.

Eksjö Camping on Google Maps

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Road Trip, Budget Travel, Motorcycle
  • Written August 23, 2009
Tip Photo

Eksj�� Camping, the hostel room (upstairs)

• angiebabe profile photo angiebabe
  • Reviews: 1668

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

STF Vandrarhem Eksjo: Good value place to stay in expensive Sweden

I didnt stay here but it was the first building I came to in the Eksjo old town when heading in to find the Tourist Office. It is in an interesting red stained wooden building next to the canal.

Handy to the must sees of Eksjo ie the timbered old town!

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Road Trip, Singles, Budget Travel
  • Written December 19, 2008

• Sjalen profile photo Sjalen
  • Reviews: 3561

Eksjö vandrarhem: Beautiful hostel

Again, I have never needed to stay here, but the STF hostel in Eksjö must be in one of the best hostel locations in a Swedish town and the fact that it is in an old wooden building along the calm stream makes it even nicer. It is adjacent to the town museum (OR at the back of one of Eksjö's finest wooden yards if you get to stay in the annex) which means that you also have the benefit of its lush gardens to sit in when you've done your sightseeing. If you book breakfast, it is served in Vaxblekargårdens hotel (see above).

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking, Architecture
  • Written July 16, 2005

• Sjalen profile photo Sjalen
  • Reviews: 3561

Vaxblekaregården: Listed wooden house

Vaxblekaregården is another one of the most famous of Eksjö's wooden houses. Since I've got family in town I've never stayed here but almost opposite Aschanska gården it is hard to beat the location and the house is lovely. It also houses one of Eksjö's more upmarket restaurants and is popular with wedding parties for its romantic feel.

Not often you stop in a listed building.

• Opinion of Price: about average