Marknadsvagen 63, Jukkasjarvi, 981 91, Sweden

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 26% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• tanseaway's Profile Photo

Sleep on ice

This was the most unusual hotel I have ever visited - by a mile. Everything is made of ice - the beds, tables, chairs... (OK the toilets and showers are in purpose build chalets).

Unique Quality: Ice ice everywhere.

Directions: It is such a small village - you cannot miss the Ice Hotel

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

ice, ice and more ice!

This place was too expensive to stay in right now for us but one day I will splash out! Meanwhile, we paid SEK 120 to visit it for the day and that was money well spent as you can read about in the rest of this page.

Unique Quality: Where else do you sleep in an Arctic sleeping bag on warm reindeer skins and wake up to a glass of hot lingonberry toddy :) A very quiet hotel. The cheapest rooms are similar to each other but the more expensive suits are individual and very artistic!

Directions: By the main Kiruna road and impossible to miss.

More about Icehotel

Wonderful stay in the Ice Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member linda_harr

My family have just returned from a holiday in Swedish Lapland, staying one night at the Ice Hotel in Jukkasjarvi. What an amazing experience, sleeping in an ice room. During the daytime visitors can walk around all the rooms in the Ice Hotel - some contain the most incredible ice sculptures. It's probably not worth paying more to sleep in one of those rooms since all you do is sleep in your room. We weren't cold in the minus 5 C temperatures but you don't want to linger once you wake up in the morning! The Ice Hotel restaurant serves wonderful food too. We went on several excursions, dog sled and snowmobiles, both of which we organised ourselves rather than taking the tours offered at the hotel. It was much less expensive this way and better value. Can thoroughly recommend ------ who took us out on snowmobiles in very cold weather (minus 30 C). We were given warm clothing and good instruction on how to keep warm and we enjoyed the afternoon immensely. I wish we had done the dog sled tour with the same person. Only downside is that they are a little way out of Kiruna (about a 35 min drive from Ice Hotel), but they pick you up and drop you back there, all included in the price. Our second night was spent at the Kebne Hotel in Kiruna - rooms clean and functional and fine for a one night stay, nothing spectacular. If you want a short holiday that's out of the ordinary, try a visit to the Ice Hotel. Not the cheapest holiday but worth every penny.

married at the ice hotel

by TripAdvisor Member seraslush

Just married....at the ice hotel jukkasjarvi sweden. Took 28 guests with us and booked most of it independantly. Chose March as a good time as there's a normal amount of daylight and it wouldn't be too cold for our 2 and 4 year old children. We booked our wedding and wedding meal through the wedding co ordinator at the ice hotel. There is a restaurant on the site of the ice hotel where you will eat breakfast and evening meals. We chose a different restaurant for our wedding reception meal. This is part of the same company and it is called the homestead restaurant and its about 1 km away. This restaurant is really really nice and they laid the tables for us really nicely. I organised most of our activities through a company called kiruna guide tours. They arranged husky sleds from the airport, snowmobiling and our saami tour. This was all half the price of what the ice hotel would charge you. We also did a moose safari which we also booked independantly. My group air travel was booked directly with sas scandinavia groups dept.
For those of you taking children/ babies it really is fine there. My four year old did a small snowmobiling tour and the husky ride. My two year old came on the saami tour but really the best thing for the children is just playing out in the snow. You would have to bring your own clothes for any child under the age of 3/4. They did not sleep in the ice hotel , only in the cabins.
For my hen night we hired a hot tub outdoors where we took our own drinks and they supply you with changing rooms and bath robes etc. The men had a stag night down on the river , ice- fishing, obviously nothing was caught. If you were to choose between the cabins or the aurora rooms then choose the cabins as they have recently been refurbished and we found the aurora rooms with the window in the ceiling a waste really.
For anyone going there for a wedding, the best thing we did was hire a photographer. We had a guy called Kent and we have a copy of every digital and negative. They are fantastic and all the photos my familly took are rubbish in comparison. We took our own boquet and 300 daffodils for the restaurant and also individual small wedding cakes. All of this really kept our cost down. I wore a simple wedding dress with a fake fur coat and hat with white ski trousers underneath and a huge pair of white moon boots.
They do charge you for a translator for the ceremony. We decided to not pay for this as we were over budget and guess what..... they had to translate it anyway but we didn't pay.
So, if you are getting married or you are a group, feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Fantastic!

by SomersetReporter about Ice Hotel, Lapland

We went to the Ice Hotel 25-28 Feb 07 with friends for a special birthday. Not sure what can prepare you for the whiteness of the place – so much wonderful fluffy snow. The individual flakes are perfect shapes so that you look as though you are covered in miniature stars. It was minus 13 degrees C while we were there – quite mild apparently – but we only felt cold on a couple of occasions when travelling at speed across the frozen river.

We had a Kaamos warm room for all three nights and also booked an Icehotel Suite for one night – this was extravagant but it provided a warm base for the day. The Kaamos room was large, clean and modern. The Icehotel Suite as also excellent and, at a moderate minus 5 degrees C, was not that cold (compared with outside anyway!). The ice sculptures are amazing and there are endless photo opportunities. Make sure that you have spare camera batteries as they don’t like the cold.

We ate dinner at the Icehotel Restaurant and at the Old Homestead Restaurant – both were excellent with our preference being for the latter. The Old Homestead is a surprising 15 minute walk down the road – keep going but if you get to the cute church you have gone too far. The breakfast buffet in the Icehotel Restaurant is very good with lots of choice. Dinner is good but don’t expect many vegetables, this is meat territory (and very good it is too). The Absolut Icebar was amazing – all white except for the Icehotel turquoise and black suits and the cocktails – loud music – energetic bartenders – eye-watering prices – great experience. The Icehotel provide all-in-one padded suits, boots, gloves and hats. I wore 4 pairs of socks, 3 layers of clothing under the suit, and a hat and scarf. Very cosy but quite a mission to get dressed and undressed! Just thermal underwear and a hat are fine in the Icehotel cold room as the sleeping bags are fantastic.

We booked direct with the Icehotel for accommodation, meals and excursions. Flights were with SAS (Heathrow – Stockholm – Kiruna). We probably saved £600 (for 4 people) by going direct rather than through a travel company. The Icehotel website is excellent and all the staff very helpful and efficient. Check your confirmation details carefully as it can be confusing with multiple rooms and excursions, and all the charges in Swedish currency (lots of zeroes).

We packed in the excursions which were tiring but absolutely fantastic: daytime snowmobiling and dog-sledding, night-time snow-mobiling looking for northern lights, and a moose safari. Three of the trips included meals in cabins in the forest so, although pricey, you are not eating at restaurant prices elsewhere. Night-time snow-mobiling was quite fast for the uninitiated and we were glad to have practised in the daylight first.

Top tips:
1.Take your own balaclava.
2.Remember spare camera batteries.
3.Remember winter sports insurance if you are snow-mobiling, sledding, etc.
4.Brace yourself for the bar prices.
5.Be prepared to have the most fantastic and memorable time.

Ice hotel in Sweden

by Marlene_swe about The Icehotel in Kiruna,Sweden

I slept at the Icehotel one night, the night before New Year 2000 with my friend. The hotel is builded by ice and snow every year and melt away in the spring. It was -30 C degrees outside when I was there, but inside only -5 C, not so cold! But keep your jacket on.

The bed is also made of ice with a mattress and reindeer skin on top of the bed. The hotel provided us with warm sleeping bags. I slept like a baby! Keep your undershirt and long underpants on.
Oh, don't miss the Ice bar and drink your whisky in a ice glass before go to bed!

There is a church in the Icehotel, and many couples get married there. Sometime babies get baptismed there too. There is also a tourist shop where you can buy tourist things to bring home.

It is a great experience for adventurers, backpackers and ordinary tourists like you and me, but it's not cheap. When I was there New Year 2000, it costed 900 Krona, but today (2004) the cost have increased much more. (I dare not look at the prices now!!)

By the way, book far in advance, the hotel is popular. The hotel is made of ice and snow.

Totally Unique

by Cowpuccino about The Icehotel

Hotel constructed fron Ice and Snow,
A work of art,
The rooms are individual and can only be described as un-believable A once in a life time experience to sleep in the hotel itself
The Absolut Bar as it must be the strangest place to drink vodka cocktails
The Ice sculptures are stunning.
When you sleep there it is amazing what real silence is !

Swedens Coldest Hotel

by jonnymac about The Ice Hotel

Wonderful, magical and oh so cold. If you get the chance come to the Ice Hotel do it. It is a unique experience. The rooms are carved ice sculptures, lit by optic fibres. Its all soo spooky. Looks very romantic, but to be honest, it can be tricky getting romantic when its minus ten degrees in your room and you are in two sleeping bags each. Its made of ice. It looks wonderful. A magical experience. You can get naked and leap into a pool of ice. You can get dragged by dogs through dangerous forests. Stay in shacks in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by howling dogs and a man wielding an axe. Really though it is great.

Ice hotel and more

by Sjalen

Jukkasjärvi is an old Sami name meaning "meeting place by the lake" and this is a place where Samis from Finland, Sweden and Norway have met for hundreds of years. These days, the rest of the world meet here too as it has become home of the famous Ice Hotel.

I expected a tourist trap where everything was expensive when I came. I left totally in love with the place. Not only was the Ice Hotel far more impressive than anything I had imagined (if still as expensive as I thought), the entire village is full of charm with its sights along the giant Torne River. The river is frozen enough to harvest ice blocks from each March and build the great hotel, whilst in summer, it takes all the melting water from the mountains of Abisko and is a centre for fishing and bird watching.

Jukkasjärvi and Ice hotel pictures

by Sjalen

One of the more expensive rooms come in two levels and with sculptures in...

The Ice Hotel has its own church where you can get married or baptise your child (many are called Alice and similar ice names). You sit on reindeer skins whilst the service goes on...it is so impressive that most people forget to take their hats off when visiting.

If you want to marry here, you need to arrange for a translator as it is all in Swedish but people from all over the world tie the knot here so it is perfectly possible.

IN THE ICE HOTELIN THE ICE HOTEL

Ice hotel

by Dawnpears

Can anyone give me any info on the ice hotel in Sweden?? I have heard it is melted and rebuilt every year, is that true??? I want to go there on a holiday but can never see any brochures featuring it. Can anyone help me???

by martin_nl

The ice hotel is near Kiruna.

by Jeff-WJ

I stayed there I think two years ago. It is expensive--but very beautiful. They have different packages, and you can spend lets say two nights in a small 'hut' and one night in the ice hotel. The area is wonderful--one can see the northern lights and go dog sledding. They now have an entire "Globe Theater" where you can hear native music and it too is rebult every year. Staying in the hotel is unique--worth doing once! Every room is different, caved out of ice. The best part was the bar, drinking vodka out of ice glasses on a bar made of ice--and you have to wear special suits to survive the night!
Have a good time!

by Sjalen

Yes, it's rebuilt every year. Non Scandinavians don't realise this, but summer even in the far north of Sweden (totally different from the south) is usually warm and sunny. It's just a much shorter season than down south so autumn comes earlier.

Re: Re: Ice hotel

by Sjalen

Btw, if you think it's too expensive to stay there, you can stay in nearby Kiruna (20 minutes away by bus) and visit the hotel as a daytrip. It costs around SEK 150 for a guided tour.

I hear Manchester Utd player Wayne Roney will stay there for Christmas :) Shame my Yorkshire hubbie and I are only there for New Year!

by reynarddasilva

The Ice Hotel is in the Bridge brochure.
Bridge is a U.K. based Tour Operator.

Comments