Quality Lulea Hotel

Gammelstad ChurchGammelstad Church

GammelstadGammelstad

lulea 1st time Visit

by jjrrph

Planning a trip to visit my Swedish heritage with my father from the US in June. We will arive in Stockholm and are wondering what is the best way to travel from Stockholm to Lulea and recommended places to stay and dine?

thanks in advance

RE: lulea 1st time Visit

by Sjalen

You can get to Luleå either by plane or by train. By train means with Veolia:

This is quite a long ride but also very scenic in June since you pass wonderful Hälsingland with its many wooden farms and hilltops (they hope to make it a World Heritage). Especially scenic in June in fact, when the nights are long and you can even see it from the night train if you're still awake.

You can also fly but you see less of course:

Those two both fly from Arlanda which is where I assume you arrive if you are on a transatlantic.

Don't miss the Gammelstaden Church village in Luleå. That IS a World Heritage. Luleå also has a wonderful archipelago where you can go on seal safaris.

by jjrrph

thanks...
Any place you would recommend to stay while there and is there an English translated rail site you have mentioned?

by Sjalen

Just click where it says "Norrlandståget in English" :)

I've not been there myself yet so I have no accommodation to recommend.

RE: lulea 1st time Visit

by OanaKLM

Hi,

I also intend to visit Lulea (end of June). I am trying to find a place to stay too. So far, I only got Elite Stadshotell 4* (http://www.elite.se/hotell/vasteras/stadshotellet/). This one is too expensive for me. Can you please tell me if you have found any hotel/hostel that is not so expensive?

Thanks in advance

There is a hostel:

by OanaKLM

Thank you! Have a nice day!

Travel Tips for Luleå

by lukky

A lot of visitors to northern Sweden are surprised by one of our ways of saying 'yes'. In addition to the regular 'ja' or 'jo' which are the Swedish words for yes, many people here also use a sound which is kind of hard to describe. It's like sucking in air through your mouth/teeth - or, in a way, like it would sound if you breath in while saying 'you'. I told you it was hard to describe! Anyway, if you are in northern Sweden and you hear this sound, it's likely that the person making the sound isn't shocked or has a speech disorder, they're simply agreeing with you... :-)

Packing List

by maja-li

Sportbags... Backpackers (but of course it matter of what you've planned for you trip..) WARM CLOTHES at winter!! Warm shoes and gloves especially! 'Normal' clothes in summer. You can buy most things here... it's cool..

Journey along the Arctic Highway

by bpacker

"Luleå"

I was dead tired by the time I came to Lulea. Earlier that morning, I was in Rovaniemi and I've pull out much hair in frustration when I groped my way to Kemi followed by Tornio, then to the border town of Haparanda where I took a bus to Lulea . It didn't help that I didn't speak fluent Swedish or Finnish . Also very little information was available on travelling in these parts. When I finally arrived In Lulea, I got kicked out a hotel but it turned out to a blessing in disguise. I stayed for just one night over here and boarded the Ofotbanen train the next morning to Narvik.

"Enroute to Lulea........"

Enroute to Lulea I nearly got killed by a crazed moose. I wondered what got into the furry-headed creature when it decided to do a catwalk in the middle of a road . The bus swayed crazily for a couple of seconds before the cool bus driver righted the bus and drove past the moose. Of course, he swore at the moose after that in some Scandic language and shook a fist at it before driving away. Well to no avail, the moose was still walking jauntily down the lane with the bells chiming merrily on its neck....

"From Lulea to Narvik on the Ofotbanen Rail..."

For about 6 months before the trip, I read excitedly about the epic rail journey that climbs over the mountains on the Swedish border, rising farther and farther away from the waters of the Rombaksfjord and over to the mountains of Norway. It was a must to try this. After careful research, I woke up at 5am to catch the only train with a glass ceiling to Narvik. It turned out to be a journey more spectacular than my Norway in a Nutshell trip.

Polarbear's Jokkmokk page.

by Polarbear

"JOKKMOKK"

I live 175 km north-west of Lulea, in Jokkmokk. A place with a lot of saami (lappich) culture and a wonderful nature! This is the flag of Sapmi (Lapland) .
Jokkmokk lies north of the Polar circle. In summer we have midnight sun.

Comments