Ven Hotels

Our Members Say

Vens vandrarhem: Budget accommodation

The house furthest to the right in this picture is the island's hostel and you get there by a footpath from Bäckviken harbour. As we never stayed there, I have no idea what it is like but hostels in Sweden are generally OK and this one belongs to the Tourist Association (STF). In any case it has a nice seaside location. At the back of it, the footpath goes on to the eastern and northern coastline where there is also a campsite with mingolf and nice spaces by the sea for tents. I just don't recommend it since service was almost non-existant when we tried to get a beer there :( It might be excellent for campers in high season and is a cosy sight but we weren't the only ones leaving after not getting served on their veranda.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Backpacking, Cycling, Budget Travel
  • Written May 21, 2006

Backafallsbyn: The most famous

Mostly known for the whisky bar I mention in my restaurant section, and for being a conference centre, you can also stay here as a private person. I would definately want to try it (was fully booked during my visit) as the restaurant too is famous and they arrange all sorts of activities. You can stay in your own cottage by a little lake and can have either self catering or all inclusive. There is also a fitness centre with massage and so on - a romantic place despite its conference angle.

The whisky bar...

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Work Abroad, Beer Tasting, Food and Dining
  • Written May 17, 2006

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Turistgården: In the middle of everything

We ended up staying here as the Backafallsbyn was fully booked. We were not disappointed, even though I had expected our room to have a TV (not because I wanted to watch it on relaxing Ven but...) and at least one chair for the price we paid. But it is Ven after all and these people have nowhere near the same income in winter as in summer so they try to squeeze it out of the summer season...there was a telly in a common library. The beds were comfy (although I had to ask for sheets for our daughter as they were forgotten) and the room clean and had a functional bathroom. We had two huge windows overlooking the Brahe Museum and the surrounding countryside and the view from our nearby balcony was great as you can see in the second picture. The rooms were in an annex to the main building (see third pic) where the reception was along with a very nice restaurant which you can read more about in my restaurant section. The garden included some swings and a trampoline for children (at your own risk of course!) and outside the annex there were tables and chairs for nice days in the sun.

Fall asleep to the squeeking of pheasants on the highest point on the island. Great restaurant without having to go far. You are very close to where Brahe had his castle.

• Opinion of Price: about average