Tulegatan 8, Box 190, Stockholm, Stockholm, 10432, Sweden

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• CraigT's Profile Photo

Great Tourist Choice for Stockholm

STOCKHOLM DIARY – July 2008
    Hotel and Transportation. Hotel Birger Jarl (http://www.birgerjarl.se/eng/) was a great accommodations choice for our Stockholm visit. I was shopping for price, cleanliness, safety, and convenience. I booked the room on Expedia after shopping Internet sites and travel diary sites for several days. (I noticed the price would fluctuate with the number of rooms available. I booked our room about 2 weeks ahead of our arrival.) The price was significantly under the big name downtown hotels that boasted their city center location. My initial contact with the hotel staff indicated their helpful attitude which was also apparent upon our arrival.
    We traveled to Stockholm via train from Copenhagen. From the Central Station, we took the subway two stops then walked 3 ½ blocks to the hotel. (Directions on the website listed above.) One could walk from Central Station (as suggested on the site) but it would be at least twenty minutes in a new city after a long trip and with luggage it would be a struggle we wanted to avoid. (We did taxi to Central Station at the end of our trip and it cost SEK 85 or about $15US.)
    The rooms at the Hotel Birger Jarl were small but ample for our needs, clean and functional with that Scandinavian design. The spotless bath afforded heated towels (remember no wash cloths in Europe - we’ll take one next time). Our bed was queen size (very comfortable) with convenient light switches nearby and the room offered two chairs, a desk and a nice flat screen TV upon which we could review our daily digital photos. Another plus of the hotel was the large complimentary buffet breakfast served for a generous period of time each morning – eggs, bacon, cereals, waffles, fruit, vegetables, cheeses, juices, and many breads. It’s a great way to fuel up for a day of sightseeing and reduce some of the high cost of eating in Stockholm.
    The Hotel is located just 1 ½ blocks from the #2 bus stop which will get you downtown and beyond to the bottom of Gamla Stan. (Tickets can be purchased at convenience stores like 7-11 or Presbyan (?) stores. A 7-11 is just 3 blocks north of the hotel and a pharmacy is a few doors from that with another bus station nearby.) If your destination is Skansen – the #44 bus is a few blocks east of the hotel although you can ride the #2 to the water front and then switch to the #47 which runs to the Vasa Museum, Nordic Museum, Tivoli, Skansen and other sites on Djurgarden. We didn’t see any pocket maps that had bus routes posted but most bus stops had large maps indicating routes and bus numbers. This was very handy and was quick to learn.
    The distance from the hotel to the harbor is about a twenty-minute walk if you don’t grab the bus. The journey follows a major city street with attractive shopping and dining districts. The hotel is located in a quiet neighborhood. While there were late night talkers at the street front café but it was minimal. Street noise from traffic was near non-existent except for an occasional tourist bus unloading travelers to the Hotel Birger Jarl. We kept our window open all the time we were in and the temperature in late July was very pleasant.

We ordered room service on two occasions and the meals were very tasty, generous in serving size (we easily could have split the meal for the both us and did on the second time) promptly delivered and fairly priced.

Directions: Twenty minute walk to the waterfront or easy access to #2 bus that takes you to the water.

• 4* hotel

I realized, checking the Guide I had with me, that this hotel is the most expensive (or one of the most expensive) of the area Vasastaden.

*For its price I would expect to find a minibar in the room but that was not the case.
    So, I had no fridge for some moose-salami I bought to bring home, when I found out that some friends, had a refrigerator at their, double, room, so they obliged me. But still, no chance to have a cold refreshment after an exhausting day walking around the town... You have to take it from the bar before coming up.

*It is advertised to be internally decorated by contemporary designers of Sweden.
    Well, ok, its somehow unique, but the standard single room I stayed at, had plain white walls with some fuchsia details. Well, I had fuchsia suitcases so they matched :D

Unique Quality: *Reception and bar personnel - very friendly and doing their best to help.

*Good breakfast buffet
    ...so you can have smocked herring, marinated herring, caviar for a spread, bacon and liver pate, and a waffle at the same time to start your day dynamically. As I want to try the new tastes of each place I visit, I was putting all this in my plate, and, unexpectedly I ate them too. My friends who had not such a risky attitude, could not even look at my plate, but I enjoyed it :D

*It's near the T-bana station Radmansgatan (two blocks away). Check for a tip on t-bana stations, there are 2 double exits at this one, you have to choose the one at the direction of the arrow Radmansgatan and not any of the others, because then it gets further away.
    We asked at the T-bana information which was the station to hop off - they said Odenplan, that's not it...At the (right one) Radmansgatan station we got lost three times choosing randomly three different exit signs - we were lucky the fourth time and then we had to leave Stockholm. I'll remember it next time.

*The bed was one of the most comfortable hotel beds I've ever slept on.

Directions: Check the attached map.

Don't mix Tulegatan with Tunelgatan. Ask your hotel receptionist to mark a map with the place. This cost us an afternoon of going round - we also lost the right exit of the t-bana, well this was an adventure ha ha

• MikeStarr5's Profile Photo

Scandinavian Efficiency & a Smart Residential Area

The hotel is in a residential area of the city and looks a bit like an office block. It was quite hard to spot at first. Look out for coaches outside - That's the clue !

It is within easy walking distance of the shops, museums, theatres and main tourist attractions. The main station is a 15 minute walk but fortunately the metro is only about 5 minutes away - So no problems there. Of course with typical Scandinavian efficiency, a train comes along punctually at least every 5 or 10 minutes.

The reception area / lobby has been extended onto the pavement with metallic tables and heaters outside. I have to say that it looks quite impressive. There is a bar area in the lobby and of course you can take your drinks and sit outside and watch the world go by.

The bedroom itself was quite a good size with a large comfy double bed. All the fixtures and fittings were in good condition. Take your sunglasses though as all the bedrooms seem to be furnished in very bright modern colours. Everything you would expect of a hotel room is there inc a very large sexy looking TV and all the modern facilities. The bathroom was clean and everything worked well. It all gleamed and looked very Scandinavian.

The restaurant was on the ground floor just off the lobby. It was very busy indeed and quite noisy every morning. By the third day we had learned that the best time to go was about 30 mins before they stopped serving. By then you no longer needed to queue for coffee and you could also get a proper seat at a table, rather than wait your turn to perch on the last remaining couple of stools at the breakfast bar.

I have stayed at many medium priced hotels and I don't really have any serious complaints about this one. You got what you paid for with blond Scandinavian efficiency and a smile.

Unique Quality: Very impressive modern lobby / reception area - efficient immaculately dressed staff. Made a good first impression.

I had a problem with my mobile phone while I was there and they did everything they could to help me resolve it. This included a free call to London from reception which lasted almost 30 minutes. While I was "phone-less" they also gave me free unlimited use of the internet in their VIP business lounge too - very nice - Thank You !

• tsukiko.'s Profile Photo

Sweden's Design Hotel

This hotel is the four star hotel.There is sauna and gym.It's very good!I stayed room 707.Queensize bed and smoking room.

Unique Quality: Room 707 made by designers were Eva Lilja Löwenhielm and Anya Sebton.That's very light and beautiful.

• rmlopez74's Profile Photo

Great Hotel in Stockholm

Hotel Birger Jarl was exactly what I expected from a Hotel in Sweden. Which means, the rooms look like a page out of the IKEA catalog. Don’t get me wrong, that wasn’t a bad thing. The Hotel Birger Jarl is a great location and value for any duration of stay in Stockholm. The rooms are very modern and well appointed. The staff is extremely courteous and attentive. (and not to speak out of turn, but extremely attractive as well)

Unique Quality: There are two "Balcony" rooms per floor. Request one if you can. That is where we stayed. The view and the breeze were awesome!

• littlebush's Profile Photo

Nice place

im not used to staying in hotels so i found this place very nice. located about a 15min walk from central station, its got rooms for about £80-100, with breakfast. its clean, its got a bar, and that was all i found out!

• SalsaNikki's Profile Photo

A Swedish Design Hotel

We arrived at about 2pm and were efficiently checked in by two very friendly reception staff who informed us that the 3rd floor had just re-opened that morning after refurbishment and would we like to be the first people to stay in Room 311. Naturally we didn't decline!

Room 311 was bright and very well thought out, there were lots of powerpoints, and close to mirrors etc, and there was even a shelf in the bathroom in the shower for toiletries, something so many hotels forget!

The design of the room was simple and very Swedish! Perfect.

We decided to eat in the hotel on the first night...Stuart had Pickled Herring and Venison, and me, Mussels and Burger....all were cooked perfectly!

Any queries we had of the hotel were answered quickly and efficiently.

All in all....excellent!

Unique Quality: The first Swedish Design Hotel....

Directions: parrallel to Birger Jarl Stragen

• deptlads's Profile Photo

Hotel Birger Jarl

Pleasant modern 4-star hotel in a quiet side street in the north part of the city centre. One of the "Hip Hotels", it has rooms individually designed by different Swedish and international designers (although the standard rooms that we have stayed in are rather more straightforwardly designed and furnished).

Easy walking distance to the main shopping area, (nearest T-bana station R?dmansgatan). The hotel is very nicely designed, and the rooms are comfortable and well laid-out. There is a restaurant and a small lobby bar. Good quality breakfast (including a waffle maker).

We have stayed here three times now. The last time in March 2006 we got three nights for the price of two courtesy of Expedia.

More about Hotel Birger Jarl

Very enjoyable stay

by TripAdvisor Member Merrionman

Found Hotel Birger Jarl on the internet. Looked OK so booked a double for my wife and I for three nights. Very nice, cool decor, friendly atmosphere, staff helpful. There was a display of genuine Greta Garbo memorabilia in the lobby. The breakfast spread was spectacular. Rooms are average size, very artfully decorated. Hotel was good value we thought at 990 kroner per double room per night.

Two negatives : 1. The gym and sauna are hidden away at the top of the building, a bit creepy up there. 2. Price of drinks is mind boggling : One hundred and seventy kroner for gin and tonic and glass of beer on Thursday night.

Birger JarlBirger Jarl

Birger JarlBirger Jarl

Birger Jarl's Square - statue of Birger JarlBirger Jarl's Square - statue of Birger Jarl

Birger Jarl's square in StockholmBirger Jarl's square in Stockholm

Statue at Stadshuset

by KingSeany

Does anyone know the name of the statue at Stadshuset? Not the tall column of Birger Jarl, but the naked man with right hand in the air, with left hand holding grapes.....and information appreciated. Thanks

Re: Statue at Stadshuset

by Todd64

I'm sorry, I don't know the statue you're thinking of, but I would look into the works of Swedish sculptor, Carl Milles; most of his finest pieces are found everywhere in Stockholm and maybe this is one of them?

Hope this helps.

:o)

Re: Statue at Stadshuset

by Sjalen

I think it is just known as Strömstatyn - "Strömmen" (the current) being the name of that part of the lake in Stockholm and "staty" being statue of course.
It is by another of our famous sculptures - Carl Eldh - and the funny thing is that his studio (which you can visit) was designed by the architect who also designed the City Hall...
It was difficult to find a picture on the net. Scroll down this one to see if it's what I think you mean...http://home.swipnet.se/kurterik/Anteckningar/Carl%20Eldh.html

Re: Re: Statue at Stadshuset

by KingSeany

Many thanks, you are right, it is Strömstatyn (Stream statue in English), and it is by Carl Eldh, who was indeed one of Swedens finest sculptors.

Comments