Ibis Arlanda Airport Hotel

More about Stockholm

interiorinterior

View from RiddarholmenView from Riddarholmen

Sunday Brunch RIVAL HOTELSunday Brunch RIVAL HOTEL

A lamp I might buy...A lamp I might buy...

Parking

by eiram1

We will visit Sweden for this coming week, we will arrive by plane and rent a car, because we want to see not only Stockholm, but make some trips to the countryside.We also booked a small cottage about 40km from Stockholm. My question is: I have heard it is quite difficult to find a parking place in the Stockholm centre. Are there parking places on the suburbs available near metro stations? Thank you!

by eiram1

Sorry, I do not know how I succeed to post the question twice:)I have no idea how to edite it:)

by marielexoteria

There are a few parking houses but I wouldn't advise on driving to the city unless the place where the cottage is has bad public means. Not to mention that parking is expensive.

Here's one website with information about parking, as well as a list of public parking facilities: http://www.stockholmparkering.se/engparkingingeneral.htm

Thank you very much!

Travel Tips for Stockholm

Midsummer Celebrations

by dejavu2gb

When visiting Stockholm, try and not go when the Swedish have their Midsummer Celebrations. Many people go to the countryside to celebrate, leaving the city dead. We were there during this period, and we found many places closed.
So if you want to shop a little and visit museums etc, go when its not a national day, I'd hate for you to miss out.
Enjoy, this is an amazing city. My fondest memory is of a great time we had at a gorgeous restaurant/bar in Stockholm. We met so many cool people, and had the most amazing time, leaving with very very fond memories.
On our way home we got little lost (due to many cocktails that were bought for us) , yet so many people came up to us asking if we needed help getting back to your hotel. Swedish are the kindest people ever.

Stockholm Tip

by rcoville

I was only in this city for a day and a half, and on business to boot, but my impressions were of a lovely, frriendly old world city whose people are proud of who they are. We did manage a little site seeing (with our local hosta as guides) and it is truley impressive.

Known as The Swedish...

by Carla_Rocha

Known as The Swedish Versailles, Drottningholm Palace at Lovon
west of Stockholm worths a visit. When walking along its beautiful garden, you
should visit the Chinese Pavillion and the Guard's Tent.

Stortorget

by yooperprof

Stortorget is the main square on Gamla Stan. In December, there's a cute Christmas Market here. With its 18th century gabled buildings, in the shadow of the Stokyrkan, and cobbled streets veering off in several directions, this is a very European place. In the year 1520, this was the site of the brutal execution of some ninety prominent Swedish leaders, killed on the orders of the nefarious King Christian II of Denmark. This event; known as the Stockholm Bloodbath, was a turning point in the long struggle of Swedes to emerge from under a heavy Danish yoke.

English works everywhere.

by Iwantacoolname

Most Swedes love to speak English and will use any excuse they can to do so, in fact I have on several occasions come across Swedes pretending to be foreigners, usually Americans since most Swedes speak with an American accent, even though they are though British English in school. These people usually come out during the summer but I doubt they fool anyone and I think they only target Swedes. Most Swedes will be glad to help if it means they get to speak English.

A lot of American expressions and works have worked their way in to the Swedish language, mostly foul words used but kid/teens.

Swedes have a tendency of translate Swedish sayings in to English thinking they will make sense, and if they don?t know the word in English they may use the Swedish version hoping it sounds similar which can sometimes lead to confusions.

Swedes won?t expect you to know any Swedish but I?m sure they will laugh if you try to speak it.

Swedes are full of surprises and sometimes it helps just to ask really loud if anyone speaks your language, like the time when I was at a small gift shop in Gamla Stan and the desperate store clerk said, ?Ah, does anyone here speak Russian!?? and a woman in the store said, ?Yes? and went over to translate and solve the problem with the Russian couple.

Comments