Langholmen Hotell

Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 10 reviews

Tags

Hiking and Walking Budget Travel Family Travel
See Amenities

Unique but uncomfortable, bad value

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 4, 2009

We stayed for two nights in the hostel as the hotel was booked up. I was aware of the extremely small rooms before I booked but since it was only for two nights I decided to give it a shot. It was different but the size of the rooms really is a negative in my opinion. Luckily for us the weather was cool at night since the stone buildings really retain the heat of the day. We were able to leave the windows open but there were no screens so we had to deal with a few flying insects. No fans or A/C.

I had read everything I could about the property so I am not going to complain about it too much as I made my own decision to stay there after knowing the facts. I will complain about the incredible rudeness and complete lack of normal customer care that I received from one man at the reception desk on two different occasions. The rest of the staff were friendly and helpful but this guy was exactly what you would not want in an employee if you owned a business and cared anything about your customers. Our first night I attempted to get his opinion on taking a bus or train to the airport and he told me to do whatever I wanted in a tone that clearly let me know he was not interested in sharing any information. The day we checked out I handed him our room keys and told him we were checking out, he never said anything to me and kept typing on his keyboard. After several minutes of standing in front of him while he types and stared at his computer screen he finally looked up and sneered "is there anything else?". I told him that I did not know if we were finished since most clerks would usually check for any late charges and then thank the customer for his stay. This guy just really needs to be in job with no customer contact, maybe trimming the grass or washing windows. I thought that maybe for some reason he just hated Americans but as we waited for our taxi my wife and I were talking with each other about this and another couple who were looking at a map spoke up and said the male reception desk guy was very rude to them too and they were Belgium. So I don't have a clue what this guys problem is other than he just does believe that common manners and a pleasant attitude is important to the business he works for. I happen to believe it is and will post my experience with him to warn others as he really did put a black cloud on our stay there for us (and as it turns out others too).

Unique Quality: You are staying in a renovated cell. It was done very nicely but the cells still are pretty small and you should be aware of that. Plus they have no cooling and very poor ventilation so on warmer days you will probably bake in the cells.

I should add that it is very pricey for a bare bones stay. The room price is expensive, the sheets are expensive, the cleaning of the room is expensive and the food is expensive. After you add it all up you can find a much better value elsewhere. You are definitely paying for the uniqueness but for me after staying there I need to warn others that they may be disappointed with what they receive for their money.

If you feel you need to stay here go ahead you may like it. Just read all you can find about this property so that you are making the smartest decision you can. Maybe a night or two stay, but after that the rooms will start to feel even smaller.

graeme83's Profile Photo

Langholmen

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 23, 2008

This is quite a nice hotel that has hostel rooms in what used to be a prison. In fact during the day this part of the hostel doubles as a museum. Despite its cost you have to pay extra if you are not a member of HI and have to pay even extra for sheets. The location is about a 30 min walk from the Old Town, but the walk itself has amazing views of the water.

Janebellinoz's Profile Photo

A night in the cells

by written on September 27, 2006

We stayed in a very small triple cell. It had a normal single bed, one you pull down from the wall and another bed in a drawer under the bed. The bathroom was a good size and it was very clean.

It was a bit of a squeeze but we managed it. We did not spend a lot of time in the room so it didn't matter.

Unique Quality: It's a converted prison, so you get to spend a night in the cells, it may not be a novelty for some but it was for us.

budapest8's Profile Photo

If yr spending a night behind bars,do it in style!

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 28, 2006

Wasn't that cheap, but then what is in
Sweden.When you have to spend at least
200+ SEK for a bed in a dorm, then almost 500 SEK
for your own room and shower is common sense.
I wanted to treat Clara to a special night, we had borrowed
my friends flat in Kungsholmen for a few days and looked
after her Cornish cat while she was in Halmstad, but her
daughter was coming home, so never overstay a kind welcome!
My flat was rented out and I couldn't expect the girl to move out
for a few days. But Lángholmen is a great place, a very green island
where you are in the centre of a big city but don't feel it with the water
and old houses. The small beach is great too with clean water.

Directions: Take the metro to Hornstull and walk the rest or take a bus from Fridhemsplan and get off
the first stop over the bridge.

tini58de's Profile Photo

Go to jail!

by written on May 6, 2006

Have you ever considered sleeping in a jail? If you would like to try it, Stockholm is the place to do it! They have a youth hostel that is located in an old jail on Langsholmen.

I have not stayed there, but I have corresponded with them and they seem very nice and helpful - plus staying in a youth hostel is probably one of the most reasonable ways of accomodation in Stockholm!

Astralka's Profile Photo

situated in a very nice green area, close to water

by written on October 19, 2004

Unique Quality: I expected the cells to be dark, but they are very bright and the air is fresh. The prison is surrounded by parks and the only depressive look is at the area where the prisoners performed their walks. Did I mention, that the mirror inside the cell had the shape of a guillotine?

Langholmen-continued

by written on October 19, 2004

Use bus No. 4, 40 or 66 to get here, or even better Tunnelbana (Underground). Get off at the Hornstull Station.

Directions: The undeground will bring you to Hornstull Station from the town centre (Central Station) in 10 min. From Hornstull walk towards Vasterbron, turn left before the big bridge, keep walking until U cross the little bridge Langholmsbron. Then turn left!

Astralka's Profile Photo

Have you ever slept in a cell? :)

by written on October 19, 2004

used to be the old prison Kronohaktet, built in the 19th century and the last prisoner spend his night there in 1975

if all the prisons were like this, I would become a criminal, so clean and comfortable the room was!
non-smoking, furnished with shower, WC, cable-TV

Unique Quality: The prison intake area is now converted into Reception with a non-stop cafeteria and there is Internet connection (1 Kr per min). You can order a breakfast and it will not be bread and water :)

Directions: when asking sb about the direction pronounce the name of the hotel/hostel as longholmen (Long Island in English)

sim1's Profile Photo

STF/HI Youth hostel Långholmen

by written on March 1, 2004

As hotels are so expensive in Stockholm, I want to give you another hostel tip as a cheap solution for staying in Stockholm. And that doesn't mean the location has to be boring! Stockholm has some fun located hostels, not only on a boat (see previous tip) but also in a former prison. The hostel of Långholmen is situated in a former prison from 1840 on a green island in the heart of Stockholm. The room are in the former cells. I am not sure if the bars are still in front of the windows though, lol ;-) On the island there is also a museum, a nice beach and a naturist beach.

Opening times: 02 Jan 2004 - 31 Dec 2004

Prices: Adult member, bed only 195 SEK; Price per room, 2 beds, 490 SEK. Non-members of STF pay a supplement of 45 SEK per adult.

Breakfast is served every morning in the restaurant (not included).The hostel has washing and drying facilities, credit cards are accepted.

Directions: Go east on the street "Söder Mälarstrand", turn right to Långholmen. Buss 4,40,66. During summer ferry from Stadshusbron.

Marlene_swe's Profile Photo

Unusual hotel

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 4, 2004

I slept in Langholmen hotel,Stockholm August 1996 so this info might be little old... anyway, I stayed there 2 nights because my work sent me and my colleagues to a weekend course in Stockholm.

Langholmen is unusual, because it have been a prison before. The prison closed down some years ago, and is now a hotel. The prison is from 18th century and closed 1975. There is a museum in the hotel where you can learn more about the prison.

Overall it's a good and clean hotel. The rooms are small but have high roofs. (Same as prison rooms was before). The rooms are clean with toilet, shower and tv in the room.
The doors to the hotelrooms are still same as the prison doors. I thought they would be heavy and hard to open, but they wasn't. The doors was surprisingly easy to open, but they only looks heavy.

It was a fun experience to sleep in a ex-prison!

Unique Quality: Was a prison before, now hotel.

Nearby Langholmen Hotell

• Bar / Lounge
  • Free Parking
  • Free High Speed Internet

Stockholm Travel Forum

Need advice about Stockholm, Sweden? Visit the Travel Forum for Stockholm and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Stockholm hotel reviews

Markets
Stockholm Card
Irish Pubs
Nightlife
Gamla Stan (The Old Town)
Södermalm Shops
Alcohol
Meals
Holidays
Local Customs
Kungliga Slottet (Royal Palace)
Stadshuset (City Hall)