Lord Nelson

See Popular Hotels

Tags

Romantic Travel and Honeymoons Budget Travel Women's Travel
See Amenities

What it lacks in size, it makes up for in charm!

by written on August 7, 2009

I had known that this is the smallest hotel in Stockholm, but I thought I'd give it a shot anyways. I am so glad I did! Upon arrival, I went to the check-in desk, where I was greeted with smiles, and great attitudes. They were so interested in where I was from, and wanted to know everything about the state/country I live in. That made me feel great, because it was my first time traveling overseas, and I was doing it alone. I went to my room, and yes it was small, but it was the most charming hotel room I had ever been in. Each room is named for a ship, and in the room there is a little glass case above the bed with that ship in it. The porthole on the bathroom door was also a nice touch. Everything was clean, as well (one of the main things I look for when I travel.) I was staying on the second floor, and so I explored there first. Down the hall from me was this cute, little sitting room that looked out onto the bustling street. It was really a nice place to unwind. If you happen to go into this room, look on the bookshelf for a book that has pictures from all around Stockholm. The third floor has a door that leads onto the roof deck. I didn't get to use this out of sheer forgetfulness, and some rainy days. However, I had heard that it was relaxing up there. Onto the main floor... Although small, the dining area is efficient for the most part. I went at a time of the year when it wasn't fully booked. For summer months, I can see there not being enough sitting/dining areas for the amount of guests. Although, they did the best that they could with the space they have. Their breakfast is wonderfully laid out every morning, and it was nice to have it included in the price. The very bottom floor has a sauna if you're into that. The hotel is decorated wonderfully to it's theme. I found myself always looking around and finding something new that would interest me.

As far as location goes, it is fantastic. You're on the main street in Old town, and you're a walking distance from the Royal Palace, Stortorget, Storkyrkan, Nobel Museum, T-bana, and so much more. You can walk down to Södermalm, or up to central Stockholm. Really with such a great location, you can be anywhere pretty quickly.

I really enjoyed my stay there, and I am going back again. I will be booking with Lord Nelson again. I hold the record for longest stay there (18 days.) I won't be there as long this time around, but if I had the time, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I would recommend this to anyone actually. I stayed in a single room, and was more than happy with it. They do have double rooms, if you're looking for more space.

I really liked the fact that it's a locally owned hotel. It's gives it a sense of charm.

Unique Quality: Location, rooms, staff, locally owned, decorative

BlueLlama's Profile Photo

A hotel with a sense of history

by written on March 25, 2008

Lord Nelson is one of the few moderately priced hotels in Gamla Stan, making it a good choice for a break in Stockholm. As the hotel is on the main street of the Old Town many of Stockholm's sights and a number of places to eat and drink are right outside the door.

All the reviews I read emphasised the tininess of the rooms - this is perfectly true, but it actually makes them quite cosy, something that is welcome after a cold day walking around Stockholm. It also heightens the cabin style of each room. You may find that it's not for you if you plan to spend a lot of time in your room, however.

It can be quite noisy (both on the street outside and from other guests), so I recommend ear plugs if, like me, you're easily bothered by noise.

Amenities in the hotel are good. There is a good range of food for breakfast including Swedish and continental foods, ham and cheese. One of the best things about the Lord Nelson is the room looking out onto the street where you can sit and use the internet for free or look at the hotel's collection of books about the city. A really nice spot to relax in.

Unique Quality: The hotel is decorated with nautical antiques and memorabilia down to cabin-style doors on each room; the whole experience does simulate being on a boat quite well. Rooms even have books on Nelson to peruse of an evening.

I stayed at Easter and a complimentary bag of sweets and a card was waiting in my room, along with a bottle of a traditional Swedish Easter drink. A very welcoming touch.

yooperprof's Profile Photo

Right in the Heart of Gamla Stan

by written on January 7, 2004

It's a little twee, and I'm not sure I understand what the connection is between the hero of Trafalgar and Stockholm, but I did enjoy staying at the Lord Nelson in the first half of my Swedish holiday. It's a historic hotel in the heart of the old city, and while it could conceivably be overrun with tourists during the season, in wintertime I found the Nelson to be quiet, relaxed, and actually rather enchanting. The rooms are small but comfortable, breakfast is hearty, and I really appreciated having free internet access (so that I could keep up with my VT friends!)

Unique Quality: If you are a light sleeper (as I am), you may be awakened during the night by the tolling of churchbells every quarter hour!

Nearby Lord Nelson

• Shuttle Service
  • Room Service
  • Bar / Lounge

Stockholm Travel Forum

Need advice about Stockholm, Sweden? Visit the Travel Forum for Stockholm and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Stockholm hotel reviews

Trains
Södermalm Shops
Irish Pubs
Nightlife
Gamla Stan (The Old Town)
Patricia