Lord Nelson

Vasterlanggatan 22, Stockholm, Stockholm, 11129, Sweden

Lord Nelson Hotel
Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Rated 10% higher but also costs 49% more than other 3.5 star hotels

• What it lacks in size, it makes up for in charm!

I had known that this is the smallest hotel in Stockholm, but I thought I'd give it a shot anyways. I am so glad I did! Upon arrival, I went to the check-in desk, where I was greeted with smiles, and great attitudes. They were so interested in where I was from, and wanted to know everything about the state/country I live in. That made me feel great, because it was my first time traveling overseas, and I was doing it alone. I went to my room, and yes it was small, but it was the most charming hotel room I had ever been in. Each room is named for a ship, and in the room there is a little glass case above the bed with that ship in it. The porthole on the bathroom door was also a nice touch. Everything was clean, as well (one of the main things I look for when I travel.) I was staying on the second floor, and so I explored there first. Down the hall from me was this cute, little sitting room that looked out onto the bustling street. It was really a nice place to unwind. If you happen to go into this room, look on the bookshelf for a book that has pictures from all around Stockholm. The third floor has a door that leads onto the roof deck. I didn't get to use this out of sheer forgetfulness, and some rainy days. However, I had heard that it was relaxing up there. Onto the main floor... Although small, the dining area is efficient for the most part. I went at a time of the year when it wasn't fully booked. For summer months, I can see there not being enough sitting/dining areas for the amount of guests. Although, they did the best that they could with the space they have. Their breakfast is wonderfully laid out every morning, and it was nice to have it included in the price. The very bottom floor has a sauna if you're into that. The hotel is decorated wonderfully to it's theme. I found myself always looking around and finding something new that would interest me.

As far as location goes, it is fantastic. You're on the main street in Old town, and you're a walking distance from the Royal Palace, Stortorget, Storkyrkan, Nobel Museum, T-bana, and so much more. You can walk down to Södermalm, or up to central Stockholm. Really with such a great location, you can be anywhere pretty quickly.

I really enjoyed my stay there, and I am going back again. I will be booking with Lord Nelson again. I hold the record for longest stay there (18 days.) I won't be there as long this time around, but if I had the time, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I would recommend this to anyone actually. I stayed in a single room, and was more than happy with it. They do have double rooms, if you're looking for more space.

I really liked the fact that it's a locally owned hotel. It's gives it a sense of charm.

Unique Quality: Location, rooms, staff, locally owned, decorative

• BlueLlama's Profile Photo

A hotel with a sense of history

Lord Nelson is one of the few moderately priced hotels in Gamla Stan, making it a good choice for a break in Stockholm. As the hotel is on the main street of the Old Town many of Stockholm's sights and a number of places to eat and drink are right outside the door.

All the reviews I read emphasised the tininess of the rooms - this is perfectly true, but it actually makes them quite cosy, something that is welcome after a cold day walking around Stockholm. It also heightens the cabin style of each room. You may find that it's not for you if you plan to spend a lot of time in your room, however.

It can be quite noisy (both on the street outside and from other guests), so I recommend ear plugs if, like me, you're easily bothered by noise.

Amenities in the hotel are good. There is a good range of food for breakfast including Swedish and continental foods, ham and cheese. One of the best things about the Lord Nelson is the room looking out onto the street where you can sit and use the internet for free or look at the hotel's collection of books about the city. A really nice spot to relax in.

Unique Quality: The hotel is decorated with nautical antiques and memorabilia down to cabin-style doors on each room; the whole experience does simulate being on a boat quite well. Rooms even have books on Nelson to peruse of an evening.

I stayed at Easter and a complimentary bag of sweets and a card was waiting in my room, along with a bottle of a traditional Swedish Easter drink. A very welcoming touch.

• yooperprof's Profile Photo

Right in the Heart of Gamla Stan

It's a little twee, and I'm not sure I understand what the connection is between the hero of Trafalgar and Stockholm, but I did enjoy staying at the Lord Nelson in the first half of my Swedish holiday. It's a historic hotel in the heart of the old city, and while it could conceivably be overrun with tourists during the season, in wintertime I found the Nelson to be quiet, relaxed, and actually rather enchanting. The rooms are small but comfortable, breakfast is hearty, and I really appreciated having free internet access (so that I could keep up with my VT friends!)

Unique Quality: If you are a light sleeper (as I am), you may be awakened during the night by the tolling of churchbells every quarter hour!

More about Lord Nelson

Hotel advice

by BlueLlama

I'm going to Stockholm over Easter and am looking for accommodation that won't break the bank. Hostels are out, and we want to stay somewhere comfortable and central so there isn't a huge amount of choice. I keep coming across these two places:

Bentleys
Lord Nelson Hotel

Has anyone stayed at either of them? They seem suspiciously cheap compared to others in the centre, so I'd love some advice or alternative suggestions.

Thanks :)

Re: Hotel advice

by Iowa2

We stayed at the Scandic Continental. It is direct across from the train station (a good source for provisions and cheap fast food) and above the metro station (tube?)

It has a great breakfast and a nice sauna. It's location is central and staff were cordial. Going out the side door of the 2nd floor restaurant, gets you to the main street going to town center. It's an easy walk to Gamla Stam and City Hall (Don't miss).

We got a very good deal by booking one day at a time. Certain days will cost more, but collectivvely it saved a lot. Sure did confuse the room key though.

Re: Hotel advice

by BlueLlama

Many thanks for your replies! Having read other reviews of Bentleys, I think it's safe to say that I agree it might not be the best place to go.

Bee