New World

Booking.com Orbitz.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Terrible

Costs 23% less but rated 28% lower than other 3 star hotels

More about Stockholm

The movie about his life.The movie about his life.

More tapasMore tapas

Texas Burger Co, upper floorTexas Burger Co, upper floor

The flags.The flags.

Weekend in Stockholm

by FrederickCook

A long winter Weekend in Stockholm, What are the must see´s? Thank you.

by JohntheFinn

by janvanommen

TOP TEN
•Gamla Stan (old centre)
•Skansen (open air museum)
•Archipelago
•Stadshuset (city hall)
•Sergels Torg (plaza)
•Vasa museum
•Kungliga Slottet (royal palace)
•Kungsträdgården (garden)
•Södermalm (neighborhood)
•Drottningholm (royal palace)
of must see.

But I think a weekend is too short, for all this.
Pleasant visit,
Jan

by ATLC

The thing I remember about Stockholm is that my camera batteries went down all the time because of the severe cold. Just something to be prepared for (I forgot the techie details but there are solutions).

by Trekki

I found the Medieval museum very fascinating, especially its location:
It shows Stockholm's history from early days on with a very lovingly way the exhibits are placed.

by Durfun

Hi,

I'd definitely haed for Kaknas TV Tower, just east of Wasa museum. A bus takes you all the way to there, then you walk through some woods till you arrive at the tall tower. It offers breathtaking & unparalleled views of all the city islands. Looks gorgeous. Nice bar & restaurant too at the top.

Other must sees are:
Stadshuset (City hall), fine viewsfrom the top of the towers
Wasa museum
Drottningholm (Royal Palace) with it's beautiful gardens

This is a beautiful city :-)

by ATLC

I was gobsmacked by the city hall (Stadhuset). So very beautiful.

Travel Tips for Stockholm

Not that expensive and a whole lot of fun!

by weemoofrazz

Djurgarden. Stockholm is a vibrant and lively city, its busy but fun and there is loads to see and do! Everyone goes on about how expensive Sweden is but in reality we didn't find it anymore expensive than city prices here in Scotland. A trip to Stockholm can be as cheap or expensive as anyone wants it to be. There are plenty of high class restaurants and clubs, but there are also just as many budget priced restaurants, bars and cafe's. You can eat lunch from as little as 49SEK from the 7/eleven or you can splash out and pay as much as 300SEK at a restaurant. Most of the bars and restaurants offer lunch specials and some offer set menu's for lunch and dinner.

The city's public transport system is quick, easy and hassle free and you can get anywhere you want to by tram, bus, train, underground or even boat! A really good tip to help keep costs down is to buy a Stockholm card. If your going to be in Stockholm for more than a few days and plan to visit some of the many museums and use the public transport to get around the card will pay for it's self after the first few journey's or museums.

Stockholm is a very easy city to walk around and almost every where is accessible on foot, the streets are clean and well signed and are dotted with numerous wanynes coffee and Roberts coffee houses as well as 7/elevens and other newsagents that you can get coffee, snacks and juice from if your trekking around in the heat!

We loved Stockholm, the people where friendly, laid back and seemed to have a good sense of humour! Almost everyone in the city speaks English but we found that even a little Swedish goes along way!

Hej då !

Take a stroll around the Old...

by moto_manta

Take a stroll around the Old Town, it´s very nice but a bit touristy. Stop for a white at a pub and have a nice glas of beer and look at the people drifting by.

Party the night away in the trendy places around Stureplan and in the more down to earth pubs in Soder. Two completly different concepts but both great fun. The warm summer breeze coming in from the Baltic Sea, not to warm not too cold but just right. The summer nights in Stockholm are amazing.

Stockholmska

by polardabar

Well, I put this short description of Swedish under my Stockholm tips on purpose, since they were supposed to lead me to another thing. Since I'm studying Swedish, I've listened to a lot of theoretical stuff, about dialects, right pronunciation aso. You will beg my pardon for me writing Göteborg instead of Gothenburg & Køpenhamn instead of Copenhagen, but it just sounds so unnatural after all this time... ;)

One of the fun things after studying a language is definitely visiting the country. I was so eager to finally go to Scandinavia to find out how it all works. I mean, you can hear to English, German, French on the TV, but Swedish is a bit harder to reach. Since I had a native speaker as my lector & after corresponding in Swedish for over two years, I was wondering how it would function once I got there. But before I left, I had some friends from Stockholm here, who taught me some slang words & who I practiced my Swedish with.

The thing I wanted to write about is Stockholmska, a dialect specific & unique for the Stockholm area, as every other bigger city, as I believe [even Zagreb's got it]. Stockholmska is specific for its lexical richness, but also for its unrepeatable intonation and, negatively observed, its supposed snobbishness. Even Stockholmers will imitate them Stockholmska Stockholmers, but you can hear them talk in the T-bana now & then. Anyway, the amazing thing after coming to Stockholm was being able to distinguish the so-called standard Swedish from different dialects, whether Skånska, Göteborsska, Småländska, Stockholmska or the northern Swedish dialects.

Swedish in general is a pretty easy language, although harder than other in some aspects. The toughest thing is getting the grip of the pronunciation at first, but once you get it, it's all good! I know it's hard to pronounce the names of the cities, football players aso., but it just sounds funny when someone says Schtockholm or Zverige or something like that. ;) The first time I was there, I was sitting in front of Stadshuset with Mark & some friends & it felt great being able to speak Swedish & even Stockholmska with them! I was forced to practice Swedish, especially because all the people knew I spoke Swedish, so nobody wanted to speak English. As I now know, it helped a lot, but I guess I was just freaked out about being there at last.

After craving Swedish for a while & speaking Croatian, English & German for a couple of days on the way back, I was finally on Swedish-speaking territory! It felt good & the language came popping up inside my head, so after a short while I even caught myself thinking in Swedish! But it was great speaking the language, remembering all the constructions & the phrases, but not thinking about them. I met some people who thought I was Swedish, but living in Norway when I started talking to them! I had to explain that no, I'm not Swedish & no, I don't live in Norway & no, I haven't lived in Sweden & no, I don't study in Sweden... But it felt good to finally get some credit for all the lectures, translations, homework & all of that... ;)

Djurgården: all-family activities

by barcodex

Once a royal hunting ground, Djurgården is now the island full of tourist attractions and in general it is a great green recreational area where everyone can find something interesting for him or for the whole his family.
Amongst the most popular attractions on Djurgården are:

- Skansen (open-air museum + zoo)
- Tivoli Gröna Lund (open May-October)
- Wasa museum
- Northern museum
- Huge park

Santa Lucia Day

by Toshioohsako

On December 13th, the Swedish festival of lights brightens up the long winter nights. It is a day to celebrate saint Lucia (Italian Christian) who is a symbol of love and kindness. Girls wear a white dress and a crown of candles. Boys wear a kind of white pyjama and carry candles. The Lucia queen is chosen and she leads the group. In schools people sing Santa Lucia's song.

Comments