4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

• Manara's Profile Photo

Location, location and a good Front Desk

On one of my trips to Stockholm I spent 8 consecutive days in this hotel, at a time when it was completely full, so I can say I had an opportunity to really test it.
    It passed the test with full marks, with one notable exception: housekeeping. The chambermaid seemed unable to do things the way she had been instructed, at least with regard to the bathroom. One day she did the room, but skipped the bathroom entirely. On other days she took away the soap without replacing it with a new one. On another day she did the same with the towels. The worst was when she took away my toothpaste (which was mine, not supplied by the hotel).
    The staff at the front desk did a great job in handling my complaints. Actually I complained only when my toothpaste vanished, but on that occasion I listed all the problems of the previous days. As a result, they bought me a new tube of toothpaste, and gave it to me together with a small bag of toiletries and a box of chocolates.

Unique Quality: The front desk staff were always extremely helpful, and not only to make amends when things went wrong. They really did the extra efforts to be helpful. For instance some registered mail was sent to me while I was there, and they went to the post office on my behalf. On departure I left a generous tip, and a few days later, after returning home, I received with the post a thank you note from them.
    This aspect is the thing I remember more vividly, but it is important to know also that this hotel has a great location, just outside the station of the Arlanda Express, in an area that is very central and rich of restaurants. Moreover, the bar of the hotel is a very lively spot every night.

Directions: Just across the street from the station of Arlanda Express.

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Nordic Light Hotel

We spent a fabulous 2 nights at the funky Nordic Light Hotel. Classed as one of Stockholm's top 'Style Hotels', the Nordic Light uses lighting as a form of decoration - the whole hotel is like a blank canvas for varied light displays.

Breakfast is included in all stays - a buffet breakfast served in the restaurant/bar area in the main foyer. There was a good selection of 'continental' breakfast items, and a small hot food selection too.

The reception staff were very helpful (and English speaking), rooms were clean and classy. The hotel is located less than 1 minute walk from the train terminal where trains from Arlanda Airport arrive- most convenient!

The sister hotel, Nordic Sea, is located just across the road, and is also connected to the Nordic Light by an underground tunnel. At the Nordic Sea you can enjoy a drink at the very cool Icebar!

Unique Quality: Our room was stylish, with a great bathroom and a big bed with a 'sunflower' reflected on the wall above it. There were also lights in the bed head that would change colour at a speed selected by the bedside controls.

Alex had booked a special weekend package, so on arrival there was cheese, biscuits and a bottle of wine for us to enjoy in the room.

Directions: Right next to the Arlanda Express train terminal

• The design hotel nr. 1 in Stockholm

I stayed there 4 nights in may 2004.
    Unfortunately, the the ice bar was closed due to redecorations.
    However there are enough other reasons to stay at the hotel :-)

The rooms are very clean and have a special design and light show. Furthermore, Pay Internet connection is available on the TV. On the other hand, I saw some people with their laptop in the lobby it could be that there is free internet connection by cable or WLAN.

The breakfast variety is enjoyable.

The nordic light hotel is a good place to stay for visiting Stockholm on food, by bus or by subway.
    The Arlanda Express railway station is next to the hotel (50m) as well as the T-Centralen subway station.

Check the rates for weekends and weekdays in advanced they are really different !

Directions: Direct at Arlanda Express Station.

• yellowfish's Profile Photo

Nordic Light Hotel/Nordic Sea...

Nordic Light Hotel/Nordic Sea hotel (Design hotels)
    Look out for weekend rates and always remember that rates commes with breakfast!

Unique Quality: Unique and unique; but as the hotels are situated just a minute walking distance from central station and the train to Arlnda airport and of course airport coaches!

Directions: ~ Nordic Light
    Vasaplan, Box 884
    10137 Stockholm
    Sweden

~ Nordic Sea
    Vasaplan, Box 884
    10137 Stockholm
    Sweden

The hotels are situated in the heart of downtown citycentre and they are more or less fa

More about Nordic Light Hotel

Arlanda Express - from Airport to City Centre

by sue_stone

We flew from London to Stockholm with British Airways, and landed at Stockholm's main airport, Arlanda.

The easiest way to get into the centre of town is to jump on the Arlanda Express - a train to central Stockholm.

The station is located right at the airport, just follow the signs from your terminal. There are yellow ticket machines on the platform where you can easily purchase your tickets (they take credit cards or cash). Then it is a mere 20 minute fast trip into town - there are around 6 departures an hour. The station is located in the heart of the city...conveniently close to Nordic Light Hotel where we stayed!

The ease of catching the train, the speed of the trip and the cleanliness/comfort would have to make this one of the most stress-free airport-to-city trips I have ever had. Worth every cent!

A perfect haven

I have just spent 4 days in Stockholm and stayed at the Nordic Light Hotel, just a few steps from Central Station. This hotel is in a class of its own and as soon as you walk into the airy and light reeption you are transformed into a peaceful haven. Contemporary in design with comfort in mind and the hotel room and bathroom had absolutely everything you could wish for, but tastefully designed. The staff complement the hotel, they are so friendly and welcoming and can't do enough to welcome guests. Food is excellent and the martinis are to die for - thoroughly recommended.

design yes but the rooms need already a renovation plan

by TripAdvisor Member vitonas

This was the second time staying at Nordic Light Hotel as it is at very convenient place concerning the transportation to the Airport.
Last year I booked as I was impressed for the design, but this year I was very dissapointed as the Hotel needs an urgent renovation plan to keep the expectation high and most important an education program for the staff.
To work in a design or a boutique Hotel does not mean that you have to be arrogant and snobish. The job at the Hotels is service for the clients.
Concerning the rooms you can not sell design and expensive rates and having the old TV sets of 90's. Additionally towels has to be changed as after so much times at the laudry, it is not nice to offer them for the guests.
Internet did not work at the room and the business center was really poor.
It is worth to stay at the Hotel only if you find the cheapest rates on Net that are about 50% less than that the Hotel charges at their site. I paid 120.00 Euro per night with breakfast per day and for this amount of money is OK only due to the position of the Hotel.

Ridiculously overprized tourist-trap

by TripAdvisor Member barken

On a recent business trip I stayed three nights at the Nordic Light Hotel, and left feeling completely ripped off. Being Swedish myself I can fully see why a hotel would want to capitalize on the Scandinavian design–image, but I am sorry to say that Nordic Light Hotel fails miserably by trying too hard. In all fairness, location is great for getting around central Stockholm by foot and I was as comfortable in my room as I would be in any middle-of-the-road hotel chain. My big concern is the ridiculous price, the exaggerated image of being a cool place to stay and most of all the rude and ignorant staff. My standard room looked just like any other hotel room with the normal dark wood furniture, an old chunky TV, a small bathroom with a normal shower and a queen-size quality bed (a well-known expensive Swedish make – but you wouldn’t know the difference from an IKEA bed if you weren’t told). The only thing that made the room any different from any other hotel was an illumination-feature over the headboard. Fun, but what is the point? Looked nice, but it has to be turned off if you want to watch TV in bed.

The reception looks cool at first sight, but I was soon annoyed by the loud pounding music (in the evenings) that had me and the staff raising our voices to be able to hear each other. The guy behind the desk didn’t bother greeting me upon arrival, but very keenly asked for my name and confirmed the price for my stay. Within seconds he had asked for my credit card, which he soon insisted was useless. I confirmed that the card worked perfectly well in the taxi minutes before, and after the third attempt he realised that it was his line being busy. Did he apologise – no! My humble observation is that this hotel recruits young sleek people, probably fresh out of school. They are all dressed in black t-shirts and kitted out in expensive jewellery, but they certainly haven’t been given any training on how to deal with guests. On several occasions I was stood at reception waiting, and no one seemed bothered to help. Breakfast was a smallish buffet with the standard things you would expect, and was partly served in their designed white room. The big challenge is that the breakfast area is quite small, and some days one had to fight for somewhere to sit. However, once you have found somewhere to sit, don’t make my mistake of getting up to get some more coffee. I left my half-full plates and glass of orange juice, and when I returned 30 seconds later it was all cleared away. I pointed it out to the one of the waiting staff, and the helpful response I got was; “It wasn’t me”.

So all in all, I will certainly not waste my own or company money on staying in this hotel again. A comfortable hotel room in Stockholm shouldn’t cost more than half of what I paid for Nordic Light. Central Stockholm is full of decent hotels, and if I were a tourist in Stockholm I would rather stay in a reasonably priced hotel and spend the money I saved on visiting design museums/exhibitions/shops. Even staying outside the very central parts wouldn’t present a problem, as Stockholm underground is excellent and takes you anywhere within a couple of minutes.

Cool but not too chilly

by TripAdvisor Member BrightonianMiss

We spent Easter weekend at the Nordic Light, and came away with mixed feelings. I think we'd expected to have our socks knocked off by the decor; while it's pleasant and modern, it's now a little, well, ordinary (especially in the bedrooms), though I imagine the place may have been among the first of its kind and possible spawned a host of imitators. The bed was very comfortable and the pillows were good - I often end up with neck problems due to rubbish hotel-issue pillows.

We found the staff to be friendly and humorous, and most importantly they were helpful and kind when I was taken ill on our last day. We were allowed to stay in our room for hours beyond check-out while the Doctor came in and did his stuff - it meant a lot at the time.

We enjoyed the restaurant food, breakfasts and wine list - but the room service food was truly horrible, don't do it.

Overall, though, a hit. Stockholm is great fun.

Modern, bright and clean Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member skippy1

I stayed in a superior room. By scandanavian standards this was a decent size. The room was bright and the colourful lighting in the room was a nice touch.

Staff were friendly and helpful.

The breakfast was included in our rate and was very good.

There was a taxi rank right outside and the Arlanda express next door was also useful. Don't worry - there was no noise from the trains.

Although I didn't use tha sauna I know it is a bit of a mission to get to it. I think it is shared with the sister hotel - Nordic Seas which is across the road and has the famous ice bar!

Location was good but not on the door step of the old town. Managed to walk to the old town in 15/20 minutes.

Parking in Stockholm - hotels?

by carolwho

Hello - Is anyone familiar with the

Hotel Rival
& / or
Nordic Sea Hotel?

Do you know the parking situation there? Self-park, or valet? The hotel websites are not clear and I was unable to get a response from the hotels (yet). We will have a car in Stockholm - not sure I want to drive in the city but yet we (think we) want to stay near city centre.

Thank you!

Re: Parking in Stockholm - hotels?

by Manara

I have been staying in the Nordic Light Hotel, which is a sister hotel to the Nordic Sea and just across the street. I know for sure that it has a garage, which probably serves both hotels, because they are connected by an underground passage, but I am pretty sure there is no valet parking.
In general, I think that the location of the Nordic Sea is great.
I don't know anything about the Rival.

Comments