Sunlight House Hotel

More about Stockholm

interiorinterior

Gamla StanGamla Stan

MariatorgetMariatorget

Välkommen till Stockholm.Välkommen till Stockholm.

Essingeleden to Valhallavagen

by sayon85

Hello

I am used to driving in heavy traffic in other countries but in Sweden I have only been driving in the countryside, never before in Stockholm. I am planning to arrive by car to a hostel at Gardet and wound like to go to Valhallavagen first. Is the best way to exit from Essingeleden if I come from south? Is it tricky to exit the highway and find Valhallavagen? Any tips would be appreciated very much.

by marielexoteria

I don't drive, but I think that you could follow Essingeleden all the way, northbound, until it becomes Norra Länken (they're constructing something there) and from there you can go to Valhallavägen fairly easily.

My usual websites can't give me any suggestions without a departure or origin address, but I'll ask some people who drive and come back to you.

by Sjalen

You want to stay on Essingeleden until it has become Norra Länken indeed, but as already said, they are constructing a new railway system and all sorts there so there might be diversions. Follow signs for the Karolinska hospital anyway and then continue to the right when the E4 starts to the left at a major junction. This takes you into Sveavägen and further on to Valhallavägen once you have passed a park on your right hand side.

by marielexoteria

Oh thank heavens I wasn't that far off! I used to take a bus to Solna, that would go on Sveavägen, Norra Länken, etc.

by sayon85

Thanks. It seems like it won't be that difficult.

Travel Tips for Stockholm

STOCKHOLM BY BIKE

by bedpotatoe

- Stockhom is a beautiful city divided by isles and huge parks. I recommend to rent a bike and cycle around the city. The city is perfectly prepared for that (you've got cycling roads in every street and it's really plain). With the bike you'll move quickly while you have fun. Without the bike it will take ages to walk through the amazing parks and gardens.

- You must visit the Vasa Museum, the Old town (the Royal Palace, the Parliament, the narrow streets with the handcraft shops and beautiful buildings, the Cathedral) and take a walk through Drottninggatan (a commercial area).

- If you have more time, visit some other museums like the Nordiska or the Museum of Fine Arts. - The best memory I had was the sense of freedom when cycling through the parks (Djurgarden,...) that are located in big isles around the city center. You feel this sense of freedom even in the center of the city. You park your bike in a wall or a fence and go for a drink or to look around in a shop and afterwards you take it again to continue the trip to somewhere else. I live in Madrid and it's totally different than what I experienced in Stockholm so maybe that's why I remark that point.

- The food is o.k., and the places where to go and have a drink are very trendy and friendly. Drinks are expensive, and bars and pubs close very early (midnight or at 1am). Best hours to go out: from 8 until 11-12pm.

- The people is friendly and much more if you are from Spain, Italy or any other mediterranean country where they usally go on holidays.

Go to Fasching Jazz Club ,...

by telsoar

Go to Fasching Jazz Club , which is near the central bus and rail station. The food is fabulous and you can listen to Jazz apres meal.
Also, get the three day Stockholm card. We were very busy with museums and bus trips, so it was well worth it and reduced hassles. Buy at Central tourist office. People talking to us in Swedish and then apologizing when they found out we were from America!!! (and didn't know any Swedish).
Watching the kayak races from Gamla Stan.

Gamla Stan...

by CandS

Gamla Stan = The Old Town.

I really loved this place!!! The streets are skinny and the shops are tiny... I loved the cobblestone pavements too... I wish my photos had turned out better...

Just don't go shopping in Gamla Stan if you don't have a lot of money...it is a very expensive area...

Between Finland and Sweden...

by Lys-Noir

Between Finland and Sweden take:

* SILJA LINE - For info click HERE
OR
* VIKING LINE - For info click HERE

---------------------------
Getting Around:

THE WORLDS LONGEST ART EXHIBITION

To get around take the TUNNELBANA (subway)

The swedes - a warning!

by omshivaom

Even though I have lived here almost my entire life (I came here as a child from Poland) , I still cant stand the people - I mean the everyday meetings with everyday people. Thats why I have to get away from this place at least ones a year, I go to Asia, Spain, France, US - and even Poland - just to escape.
I have many fantastic swedish friends - so there are exeptions (and they too escape this hell - at least ones a year). Its hard to point out exactly whats wrong with these awerage people but they are not freindly, they are cold, sociofobic and lack all normal manners whatsoever. I have lived in one house for 5 (!) years and still the next door neighbour is trying to avoid eyecontact and has never replied to my Hello. If you go to a party you should bring your own drinks/wine and then keep it to yourself all evening. No shoes aloud inside, it looks kind of funny how dressed-up girls in elegant dresses walk around in their socks. Most swedes are extremely xenofibic and many are rasist - exept towards americans/britts kaukasian looking people.
Its a sad sad place, and people who move here think that its cozy, dark and kind of nice - for a while. But they soon find out that it doesnt get better, this is it. So better come here as a tourist: best time is in june/july. And remember to never smile at people in the street/store - they might think you`re totally nuts.

Comments