Sweden Hotel Smadalaro Gard AB

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

More about Stockholm

Old TownOld Town

Maredsous 6 (and Iain)Maredsous 6 (and Iain)

VasterlanggatanVasterlanggatan

StortorgetStortorget

Souvenirs to and from Sweden

Hi,

Is it still a good idea to import liquor to Sweden? I heard they were going to reform their systembolaget, don’t know if anything good came of it.

What do sensible people buy for a souvenir from Sweden, apart from Dala horses?

Thanks!

by Manara

Small glasses for drinking akvavit, a box containing four glasses is small enough to pack it easily.

Sorry but I don't know about taxes on alcohol, but I am sure somebody will have the answer.

by Muscovite

Glasses - to Sweden or from Sweden?

by Manara

From Sweden.

by JohntheFinn

To clarify: alcohol is expensive in Sweden, so it makes a good gift.

Souvenirs FROM Sweden: handicrafts, design ware and candy, but they are not cheap.

by Trekki

:-) Yes, this is what I did last year, but I came by car. Half the car was full with alcohol when I came to Sweden (but I had a good excuse, 2 days after I entered Sweden I had my 50th birthday) and half of the car was filled with glass from Boda and Bergdala when I went back home.
The Boda/Kosta/Åfors group has many shops throughout the country and I think that they have special sales quite often.
Here you can look up the companies and their styles:

Thanks for good ideas!
I think I’ll settle for buying a couple of Tax-Free vodka bottles for my hosts on the way there, a couple of whisky bottles for myself on the way back, unless they carry Cointreau in Arlanda, and wait for someone to give me a Boda iceberg :)

by Sjalen

Reform Systembolaget? What on earth gave you that idea??? Hell will freeze before that's reformed. It is a huge tax cow to milk for any Swedish government...

To be honest us Swedes actually quite like it since we can order ANYTHING to it (and often cheap when it comes to luxury drinks since they buy for a whole population of 9 million people) and staff are well educated and can recommend things. It's just the opening hours and lack of shops in small villages that we don't like.

Travel Tips for Stockholm

Stockholm Public Libraries

by El_Sueco

This is the main library. It was designed by the well reputated architect Gunnar Asplund in 1928.
Around the big central cylindric hall there are four long book rooms. All together forms a cubic block. The building has a sharp geometrical form.
The style is funcionalistic, at that time a radical french new classisism, they say.
The entry from Sveavägen goes like a scar through the block, and you will come directly to the central hall where books are lended for 3-4 weeks (in summer two months).
Address: Odenplan
Don´t miss a visit to some of the public libraries in Stockholm. There you can perhaps find your newspaper from home, sit down for resting or just silently go around looking at books and people. Not a bad doing.

Swedish

by polardabar

Swedish language belongs to the Indo-European family of languages, to which almost all languages present in Europe belong [with the exception of Finnish-Ugrian, Basque, Caucasian languages & Maltese]. Together with Norwegian, Danish & Icelandic it belongs to the north-Germanic languages, the latter mostly isolated, intact & hardly understandable. Although the Nordic speakers don't have much problems understanding each other, there are some difficulties when wanting to cross the language barriers. Swedes understand Norwegian, but not Danes; Norwegians mostly understand both Swedish & Danish & Danes understand Norwegian & claim that Swedes speak as if they had a hot potato in their throat. Since I've heard Danish, this is a hypothesis I'm not gonna comment on...

I will leave a quote though: "Swedes, Norwegians, and Danes usually do not have any difficulties in communicating with each other. Even though Danish is slightly more closely related to Swedish than Norwegian, its "hot-potato-in-the-mouth" pronunciation is the main obstacle when Danes and Swedes speak with each other, whereas Norwegian in that respect is very similar to Swedish."

Anyway, not to prolong my professional deformation [I could ramble on for ages...], I will wrap it up by saying that speaking Swedish has helped in all kinds of ways. Traveling through Sweden, Norway & Denmark [as the matter of fact, even Finland, since Swedish's the second official language] was much easier being able to understand everything written, from basic directions to restaurant menus. I think that anyone with as little as basic knowledge would be able to communicate, order food or ask for directions. But if you end up stranded or lost, there's always the consolation of everyone in Scandinavia speaking excellent English...

In any case, here's an online dictionary & a short introduction to Swedish. ;)

Butterfly House

by CandS

Visit the Butterfly House in Haga Park if you are into photography, my photos turned out pretty nice (if I do say so myself)!!

We weren't planning on visiting the Butterfly House but we had some time left over and our Stockholm Card and this place was close by so we figured we might as well have a look...I am glad that we did. :)

It costed 60 KR per adult or is free with the Stockholm Card.

www.fjarilshuset.se

Phone: 08 7303981

SHOPPING & CREDIT CARDS
Sweden...

by CharleneP

SHOPPING & CREDIT CARDS
Sweden is known for high quality crystal, Sami handicraft, the Dala Horse, wooden clogs and a large no of good interior designers. SHOPPING HOURS: Weekdays 10am-6am, Sat 10am-4pm, Sun closed. Department stores usually open 7 days a week. Old Town open 7 days a week, often late in the evening during the summer, wintertime ordinary opening hours. CREDIT CARDS: All major credit cards are honored throughout Stockholm at banks, hotels, stores, restaurants, taxis, car rentals agenceis. Credit cards are notaacepted at Post offices. All the big Canals & water.

Don't eat before you don't know what it is

by Aspati

In the traditional restaurant you will not ind this dish but if you are buying food in the shop stop your hand while taking fish in the metal bins. it could be their national fish - it stinks over 50 meters when you open the bin. However if you heve already bought it - open it in the atter. I heard that it prevents from the smel

Comments