Scandic Uplandia

Scandic Hotel Uplandia
Booking.com Hotels.com Priceline.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

More about Uppsala

Burrial mounds of Sweden's semi-legendary kingsBurrial mounds of Sweden's semi-legendary kings

GustavianumGustavianum

Close up of the locomotovieClose up of the locomotovie

Grand SnoggingGrand Snogging

taking a bike on train or bus

by symbios

Is it possible to take a bike on the train or bus from Sundsvalld to Arlanda Airport? Any other suggestions for getting a bike to the airport. We plan to bike from Upsalla to Sundsvalld with our own bikes, then need to get back to the airport by public transportation.

OR What are the chances of buying a used bike in Upsalla? -- end of July this year.

Re: taking a bike on train or bus

by marielexoteria

You can do it, but that would involve 1 or 2 vehicle changes according to SJ. Make your way down to either Gävle or Uppsala and from there, take the train towards Stockholm but check that it stops at Arlanda because some trains stop somewhere else or not at all.

From Uppsala, you can take the Upptåget train.

Travel Tips for Uppsala

Friskis & Vettis

by donaldferbert

OK Listen....Friskis and Vattis in Uppsala is the worst gym I have ever seen or dealt with. The weight room is the size of a bathroom. The management are ridiculous. I paid 450 SEK, $75 USD for one month there. I didnt realize I had other options as for a gym. I was going to be there for 2 weeks, so I chose to sign up for the month at 450 SEK, since it was 75 SEK/day and would be cheaper since I work out 5-6 days a week. Well I worked out there 3 times and then asked if I could be refunded for my month. I even told them to charge me for the 3 days that I did work out. I would pay the daily rate. They said no....and the lady actually told me tough luck. (Ingrid- I guess a manager). I paid 450 SEK for 3 workouts in a gym that was horrible. I would use some choice words had I not wanted to offend anyone outside of this organization. I recommend S.A.T.S. They are actually about 50 feet passed Friskis on the same side. They have more to offer and have a much better personnel. Just another side note....make sure you bring shoes to wear at the gym, outside of what you wear to the gym. They both will make you take them off before entering the gym area. I didnt realize this.

History II

by Kuznetsov_Sergey

Gustav Vasa's sons - Eric XIV and Johan III, made a lot for the castle. They transformed it in a royal residence. At Johan III there was constructed a Castle church. In 1580-90 there was an important period in the history of the castle. Many architects were invited from abroad and worked in Uppsala.

The State Hall of Uppsala was a place of banquets and celebratings in honour of crownings of many kings and queens, and also a place of carrying out of other festivals. On June, 6th, 1654 the queen Christina, - the daughter of the king Gustav II Adolf was abdicated there. She had accepted Catholics and could not remain on a throne of Lutheran Sweden. She was buried in Rome.

The Pulpit

by MalenaN

The pulpit in the Cathedral is the finest in Sweden and it is used for sermon at high mass on Sundays.
There are several large pictures where you can see St John the Baptist, St Paul and Jesus.
The pulpit was made in the beginning of the 18th century.

The Swan

by MalenaN

Among all the Wild Ducks (Anas platyrhynchos) in the pond there was one lonely Mute Swan (Cygnus olor) this winterday in the end of December. It was cleaning itself and did not pay any attention to what was happening around.

Botanical garden

by Kuznetsov_Sergey

If you have time after a survey of Uppsala, we recommend to visit Linnaeus Garden. It's located in the northern part of the city, on the coast of the Fyrisan river. The oldest botanical garden of Sweden (1655) served as the main platform for K.Linnaeus's scientific researches. A small museum tells about a history of a garden and work of the scientist.

Directly in the front of the castle there is the Botanical garden. It was founded there in the middle of the XVII as a regular park (a French project, style of Baroque). Now it is the huge park containing more then 10000 kinds of plants, collected worldwide. There is a building in style of classicism in the end of avenue. It's a greenhouse where unique tropical plants, cactuses, orchids, huge water lilies are grown up.

Svartbacksgatan, 7.00-20.30. www.linnaeus.uu.se.