Waxnas Hotel

Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Satisfaction Terrible

Rated 54% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

More about Karlstad

Western grave yardWestern grave yard

Lots of butter flowers in a fieldLots of butter flowers in a field

Löfbergs Lila ArenaLöfbergs Lila Arena

A part of the University of KarlstadA part of the University of Karlstad

Travel Tips for Karlstad

Svarta and it's lake are for...

by Pavlik_NL

Svarta and it's lake are for me places that I hold close to my heart. This little village was our basecamp from where we explored the middle Swedish countryside. The wonderful people we met (Mia Danielson, Lisa Aspelof in particular) made the visit to this country to a wonderful event.

The City Garden/Stadsträdgården

by Rojo72

Just south of the Railway station is the city garden, one of all the green areas in town. If you're into botanics and flowers this is a must, there are several hundreds of differents plants, trees and flowers.

Earlier I have had the idea that the City Garden isn't much for anyone not interested in flowers, but I've recently changed my mind as I think it's a nice place to rest. In the summer time there are usually quite a lot of people in the shades and the city garden is one of few places in the city where you don't feel embarrassed to lie down on your back under a tree. Just today for example I had a few minutes under a Caucasian wingnut tree...

Hammarö Kyrka

by Rojo72

Hammarö is actually the municipality to the south of Karlstad, but you should go see Hammarö church, it's beautiful and it's surroundings are astonishing.

Driving directions: Take Hammaröleden, road 236 south from Karlstad. Turn left at the round-about Lövnäs/Hammar. After about 500 metres is another round-about. Turn left in it, follow the road past Hammarlunden School and after maybe 100 metres you get to turn left for Hammarö Kyrka/Church.

Visit the Library

by Rojo72

When you go to see the Tourist Information you might want to take a look at the large library in the same building too. Apart from the obvious of loaning books you can also read different kinds of domestic and foreign newspapers as well as surf the net on one of the many computers to keep up with your emails or something else. Maybe check out VT?

Grave yards

by Rojo72

For some reason people on vacation (me included) seem to often go to church yards and grave yards. I guess the way we bury and remember our dead says something about our society.

In Karlstad there are two grave yeards close to the city centre, the eastern and western grave yard on the northern end of the stone bridge. The western yard was taken into use around 1800-1810 and the eastern in 1895.

If you compare these yards to places like Pere Lachaise in Paris you'll notice how much greener and more organised the yard is here.

Comments