First Hotel Stadt Harnosand

Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Satisfaction Poor

Rated 22% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

More about Sundsvall

Sundsvall at nightSundsvall at night

football in Swedenfootball in Sweden

One of the many hotels in SundsvallOne of the many hotels in Sundsvall

The Dutch dudes party it up at the DublinThe Dutch dudes party it up at the Dublin

How do we meet people here?

by loverlys

We just moved here from the United States, the state of Tennessee. I work from home and my husband works at Permobil. We will be here for 3 years roughly. We have two dogs and a cat. I am trying to find out how to meet people to make new friends or what there is to do to get out of the house. I am having a bit of cabin fever and could use some interaction with people. Can anyone give me any ideas? It would be much appreciated.

RE: How do we meet people here?

by bjakobss

Can you start with your neighbours? I mean start talking with them and after a while invite a neighbourg for coffee for example. But don't be too sure to get friends among your neighbours as many Swedes in Stockholm are very busy and already have enough friends. Then can you get friends among other people having dogs. But don't be too optimistic, it is not always easy in Stockholm, I also live here. Can you join a dog-organisation/dog-club - I don't know the right word :-) - I am working as a Sfi-teacher (as ESL-teacher in US) and often the students complain it is difficult with Swedes :-( - sorry.
It is a "work" to get friends here, but just go on.

Well, I also was new in Stockholm 25 years ago, now I have some friends here.
If you like church, just go to a church regurlarly, then if you find nice persons, try to invite them. And do the same with some of your friends at work.

Well, it is difficult to give advice...., it comes just naturally. Our friends we have got through organisations we have joined, through a church, through studies, through work.

Where in Stockholm do you live?

Birjak

RE: How do we meet people here?

by bjakobss

Sorry, you don't live in Stockholm, I see it now.

RE: RE: How do we meet people here?

by stenby

Hi again loverlys!
Have you checked at www.amerikanska.com ? Would be surprised if there are no other Americans nearby

Travel Tips for Sundsvall

Sundsvall - hiding place of Nessi

by Leipzig

Visit Nessi! Seems Nessi didin't like to stay longer in Scotland where millions of tourists disturb. Sundsvall seems to be the new hiding place.
This funny "monster" can be seen everywhere in the city in different colors. I think it is the maskot of the town.

Climate in Sundsvall

by Leipzig

There is no special rainy season

Avg. Temp. in Spring: max.: 2 – 13°C ( 34 - 55°F ); min: -3 - 3°C ( 27 - 38°F )
Avg. Temp. in Summer: max.: 17 – 20°C ( 61 - 68°F ); min: 8 - 11°C ( 47 - 51°F )
Avg. Temp. in Autumn: max.: 1 – 12°C ( 34 - 53°F); min: -3 - 5°C ( 27 – 41°F )
Avg. Temp. in Winter: max.: -4 – -2°C ( 25 - 28°F); min: -11 - -9°C ( 12 - 16°F )

Swimming

by fairy_dust

There is an indoor swimming pool in Sundsvall. It's not expensive to get in. You can swim laps, or bring your kids to play in the pool. There is also a sauna and a solarium (though I highly disagree with using tanning booths - it's skin cancer in a box!). In the summer, the indoor pool is closed and you can swim in the river instead. Bring your swimsuit and anything else you use for swimming. If you need to buy anything, there are a few sports stores in town where you can buy swimsuits, swim goggles, etc.

Sundsvall

by Karl_Kaviar

Sundsvall is a city in lower Norrland, central Sweden, situated in the province of Medelpad and Västernorrland County. It has approx 50 000 inhabitants.
Sundsvall was chartered in 1621, has a port by the Gulf of Bothnia, and is located 395 km north of Stockholm. The city has burned down and been rebuilt four times. The first time, in 1721, it was set on fire by the Russian army during the Great Northern War. The last fire, in 1888, was the largest in Sweden's history. It is presumed that the fire was caused by a spark from a steamship. After that fire, the city centre was rebuilt only with stone buildings. Sundsvall's centre is therefore nicknamed Stenstaden (the stone city).

According to one historian, Swedish industrialism started in Sundsvall when the Tunadal sawmill bought a steam-engine driven saw in 1849. In the early 20th century Sundsvall was an even greater centre of forestry industry in Sweden than it is today.
The first large Swedish strike was the "Sundsvall strike" in 1879. The industrial heritage makes social democrat and socialist sympathies more prevalent in the Sundsvall region than in Sweden as a whole.
Today Sundsvall is not only dominated by the pulp and paper industry, and the aluminium production, but also by banks, insurance companies, telecommunications administration and a number of large public data processing centres.

Sundsvall i mitt hjarta...

by fairy_dust

"Brief notes on my experience in Sundsvall"

I lived in Sundsvall, Sweden for five months, from January to June 2003. I was an exchange student, so I took courses at the Sundsvall campus of Mid Sweden University (Mitthogskolan).

I was there with a big group of other exchange students from different parts of Europe. We spent a lot of time together and had lots of fun. Lots of parties and lots of going out at night (especially with the Dutch group). I also met a lot of local Swedish people by getting involved in the university theatre group.

My semester in Sweden was great, and I'll never forget it. I had many great experiences and met many friends. A semester abroad at Mid Sweden University is definitely something that I recommend to any university student who is interested in a student exchange.

"Other sites to check out"

Here are a few other websites to check out that include information on an student exchange trip to Sundsvall:

www.mh.se
The website of Mid Sweden University (Mitthogskolan). Information is available in English if you click on "English Web". Then, to the "International Office" section for info on getting involved in an exchange.

arw.inzweden.nl
This is the website of the three Dutch guys from my exchange student group. The site is in Dutch, so if you can read Dutch, you can check out their journal. And if even if you don't know Dutch, you can still check out their photo album (under "foto album"). They have pictures of their own experience in Sweden, which includes the university campus, the nature, and the people they encountered (including myself!)

www.schweden.schirwitz.de
This site belongs to two German exchange students from my group who were in Sweden for two semesters. It is mostly in German, but it has some journal entries and photo album descriptions in English.

Comments